Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Flying late in pregnancy - why not?

(15 Posts)
Ninni Mon 17-Aug-09 09:02:29

ANyone knows actually why you have to have a mec certificate after week 28? ANd some airlines don't take you?

Is it because of the risk of giving birth mid-air, or is there a actual potential risk of harming the baby because of preaussure or similar?

Picante Mon 17-Aug-09 09:03:08

They don't want you to go into labour.

bigchris Mon 17-Aug-09 09:05:25

and pregnancy increases the risk of blood clotting so yuo need to move round more and maybe get a seat with more leg room to prevent dvt

bigchris Mon 17-Aug-09 09:06:05

'The lowered cabin pressure in aircraft does not affect the baby's circulation to any major degree. As far as any precautions are concerned, make sure that you drink lots of water. This will keep the amniotic fluid and the placental circulation stimulated. Avoid alcohol, which dehydrates you.'
from ivillage

CMOTdibbler Mon 17-Aug-09 09:06:59

They really don't want you going into labour.

weegiemum Mon 17-Aug-09 09:23:47

My dh once sat with a woman on a short flight (45 mins) who was 34 weeks and went into labour on the flight - waters broke as they were taking off - he's a GP, and when they asked him (he always books flights as Dr just in case even though he hates being known as Dr outside work) he just sat with her and timed the contractions - she had a little boy about 3 hours after she got off the plane!

Another friend of mine was asked to see a woman on a plane who thought she might be in labour - had to explain she was a Dr of Rocks (Geology PhD) - not people!

JeanLouiseFinch Mon 24-Aug-09 01:27:13

If there is a medical emergency and they have to make an emergency landing it costs them a lot of money so obviously they don't want that to happen.

Rockdoctor Mon 24-Aug-09 10:41:52

I did quite a bit of flying when I was pg - including long haul but not after week 28 as I didn't need the hassle (it was all work related) and because of the blood clotting/DVT risk.

The only thing I would add to the responses so far is that getting through immigration in some countries will be a challenge if you look heavily pregnant - I have been told for example that the US (and possibly Australia) can refuse entry if they think you are about to give birth!

Rockdoctor Mon 24-Aug-09 10:45:44

... and on a similar note it's probably best to make sure your health insurance covers you for pregnancy related issues depending on where you are going.

lucky1979 Mon 24-Aug-09 11:06:45

I've just got back from the US (28 weeks pregnant) and they didn't ask for my letter or anything, but the customs man did say semi-jokingly "oh, if you stayed a bit longer then your baby would be a US citizen, had you thought about that?"

So I think that might be something they check for, in case you're aiming for citizenship or something.

trellism Mon 24-Aug-09 23:35:59

I second the advice about double checking your medical insurance, but I flew at 26 weeks and was fine.

They just don't want you to go into labour on the plane as it costs them a fortune to divert and land.

My in-laws, however, were convinced that the advice is there because pg women explode on planes due to the pressure.

This is not true.

FuckOffDailyMail Mon 24-Aug-09 23:55:23

PMSL trellism grin

trellism Tue 25-Aug-09 23:41:20

They also say pg women shouldn't swim breast stroke in case the baby falls out.

FuckOffDailyMail Wed 26-Aug-09 20:58:35

oh, even better!! grin

how could you keep a straight face when they were giving you pregnancy advice?

trellism Wed 26-Aug-09 22:17:26

With some difficulty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now