Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else suddenly been airsick when pregnant?

(11 Posts)
Claire236 Sun 16-Aug-09 07:42:38

I'll be 24 weeks tomorrow & will be flying in a weeks time. When I flew a few weeks ago I was sick on the plane which is something that's never happened to me before. As I have a complete phobia about being sick (was more worried about morning sickness than having to give birth) I would really appreciate any advice to try & stop it happening again.

guineamango Sun 16-Aug-09 08:43:45

I get sick on the landing when pregnant. Recently after a long haul, I kept my eyes closed, took deep breaths and sucked on a mint! I was able to keep in the awful breakfast I had just eaten!

longwayaway Sun 16-Aug-09 18:55:05

Oy, really? I never get motion sick but am about to fly (at 27 weeks)... guess I should keep a bag handy hmm

Claire236 Sun 16-Aug-09 19:48:09

It's apparently quite common when you're pregnant. I'm worried that I'm going to make myself sick by thinking & stressing about it so much.

Firsttimer7259 Mon 17-Aug-09 08:54:47

I used to get travel sick as a child, it got miles better with age and I generally dont have any problems on planes ect anymore.

But with being pregnant I am like I was when I was seven. Awful, and embarassing. Plus now the vomiting doesnt actually make me feel better whereas before at least once I had been sick all the nausea was magically gone.

Take a bag, if nothhing happens then all the better. Apparently easyjet or some other crappy no frills airline now makes you pay for an airsickness bag. Now that IS sick.

Claire236 Mon 17-Aug-09 18:19:30

If they tried to charge me for a bag think I'd just be sick on the floor. What would they prefer, clearing up sick or issuing a free bag. Guess I'm just going to have to hope for the best. Absolutely dreading it.

TotallyAndUtterlyPaninied Tue 18-Aug-09 14:31:29

I am fine on planes, but I just flew at 9 weeks and 11 weeks and it was awful. My head was too hot, I felt so sick, and I felt dizzy even when I was sat down. It was not enjoyable at all.

Claire236 Tue 18-Aug-09 18:07:58

Good to know it's not just me. I've got 4 more trips to make then I'm done until after the baby's arrived.

teddymummy Tue 18-Aug-09 18:11:52

I had the same when landing and threw up all over DD once!! she was horrified!
Funny now since having the children I get car sick, bus sick, aeroplane sick, infact I cannot even go on a swing or roundabout with the children anymore because my motion sickness is awful. A friend of mine who is a nurse said thats not unusual after having children but I don't know why. Agree that just sucking a mint and closing eyes and willing yourself through it is helpful but also have those bags handy!! enjoy the flight!

jollyjoanne Tue 18-Aug-09 18:15:21

I got travel sick when pregnant but I have a horrible phobia of sick so I just refused to travel anywhere more than about 30mins, unless I was driving, which for some reason seemed OK, although still not good.

Claire236 Tue 18-Aug-09 18:34:13

I've got a phobia about being sick & can't really put into words how worried I am about flying. Although it's important I go I've still thought about cancelling the trips just to avoid the stress of flying. If my midwife told me I couldn't fly I'd be relieved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now