Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

surely not true?..........

(12 Posts)
madremia09 Sat 15-Aug-09 21:25:53

my mother....you know what mothers can be like..........told me off for reaching up to the top shelf in the cupboard the other day because apparently you shouldnt stretch upwards when pregnant as this can cause the umbillical cord to wrap itself around the babys neck..........old wives tale? never heard it before but sounds ridiculous!

rubyslippers Sat 15-Aug-09 21:26:51

absolutely not true

thisisyesterday Sat 15-Aug-09 21:28:26

hmm i am not sure about the umbilical thing, but i know you shouldn't stretch up for stuff. am sure i have read that, and in my last job I was banned from doing it while pregnant

Hollyoaks Sat 15-Aug-09 21:28:55

Ok, I'm really short and have to stretch quite regularly at work. DD was born with the cord around her neck twice!!! and now I'm quite spooked. Someone tell me to get a grip shock

thisisyesterday Sat 15-Aug-09 21:31:10

not scientific but here

rubyslippers Sat 15-Aug-09 21:31:14

you shoudl be careful not to stretch because it is easy to over reach and hurt yourself when PG beause your ligaments etc are loosened

nothing to do with the umbilicial cord

thisisyesterday Sat 15-Aug-09 21:32:14

and again here

guess my employers were just nbeing overcautious! lol

madremia09 Sat 15-Aug-09 21:33:11

shock

tvfriend Sat 15-Aug-09 21:33:40

Not sure why but my mother also told me not to reach up when pregnant. I'm guessing she was told not to. She couldn't tell me why I shouldn't though...

madremia09 Sat 15-Aug-09 21:37:40

just read second link,feeling better now thanks thisisyesterdaysmile

Longtalljosie Sun 16-Aug-09 14:01:29

Yeah, my mum's always saying that too. I point out that a) there is nothing internal linking your arm and your uterus and b) I'm always being told to stretch in ante-natal yoga, but she still hates it when I do it...

bethoo Sun 16-Aug-09 14:03:11

that wives tale was started to prevent women from overdoing the stretching i read on myth site.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now