Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

8 weeks, can't eat anything with any flavour - including tomatoes, ham, sugar etc

(17 Posts)
BumptiousandBustly Sat 15-Aug-09 19:13:44

Today I have eaten 2 crackers, some cucumber and I managed half a scone but it was too sweet after that, couldn't eat anymore.

Last time I felt sick, but if I ate it helped and I could eat most things.

This time I basically gone off anything that tastes of anything. (sugar, cheese, ham, today it was tomatoes, artichoke hearts, anything sweet at all, I couldn't even stand the smell of wine gums)

Has this happened to anyone else and if so, what did you eat, and did it all get easier after 12/14 weeks?

My eating habits didn't really change in my last pregnancy so I am currently a bit worried that I will feel like this for the next 7 months.

difficultdecision Sat 15-Aug-09 19:32:46

I have had exactly the same both pregnancies. The first time I could cope with mints but this time I've lived on baked potatoes with a tiny bit of cheese and beans for protein that I could just about bear.

AT 16 weeks I've got a rotton appetite but can stomach most things again.

Hope your settles too.

BumptiousandBustly Sat 15-Aug-09 19:37:37

Difficultdecision.

Good suggestion, thankyou very much, will promptly start baking potatoes!

Its good to hear it does subside - I would really worry about baby getting enough calories if this carried on for the whole of the pregancy.

(NB - pretty sure I couldn't cope with mints, wanted to throw up at the smell of winegums today!)

BumptiousandBustly Sat 15-Aug-09 19:53:09

Shameless bump for any other suggestions/advise

onlyanauntie Sat 15-Aug-09 20:00:10

First couple of months, I lived on bread, boiled rice, jacket potatoes and rice krispies....boring, but all I could stomach. At 12 weeks, I'm just starting to be interested in fruit, veg and things with a vague amount of taste. Gone right off pasta though, urgghh the slimeyness of it.

difficultdecision Sat 15-Aug-09 20:00:40

I couldn't either this time. This baby is going to come out looking like a baked potato!!

Baby will get the calories whatever smile only you will suffer sad. I took pregnacare while it lasted so at least I felt a bit better about my vitamin stores but most mornings it made me gag so I took it at dinner (with the potato blush.

BumptiousandBustly Sun 16-Aug-09 10:09:37

difficultdecision, good idea about taking the vitamins with the potatoe - so that at least I am getting something.

Its funny - I can really see that DS likes eating things I ate while pregnant, this one is going to like potatoes and crackers!

McSnail Sun 16-Aug-09 11:54:18

It probably doesn't help you much just now but THIS WILL PASS. Honest! Keep to the bland stuff for now - you'll find though that your tastes and appetite WILL change though and your body will be able to cope with different flavours etc, eventually. I found watery fruit like berries, melon and strawberries a total life-saver (but that was at a later stage)

I do remember the bland-food-only phase though.

*shudders at the memory of permanent nausea*

Oh - and I heartily recommend rice cakes with a wee bit of butter and salt. Sesame ricecakes.

McSnail Sun 16-Aug-09 11:55:06

Sorry - just re-read your post and saw that you've been pregnant before. Didn't mean to teach you to suck eggs!

BumptiousandBustly Sun 16-Aug-09 14:05:50

Mcsnail

You really aren't. I didn't feel like this last time, I felt sick, but eating helped and I could eat pretty much anything. Its been a real shock not to be able to eat anything this time.

Angelfifi Sun 16-Aug-09 14:35:05

the only thing i can eat at the moment is celery, anything and everything at the mo is making me sick and i'm only 8 weeks, not looking forward to the months ahead feeling like this lol!!!!

TheHappyCamper Sun 16-Aug-09 15:32:57

Sympathies - I was very similar when pg with dd. It lasted from about 6 to 13 weeks. All I could stomach were bagels, toast, rice, cereal - stuff that had little flavour. One particularly bad week (week 10 I think) all I ate more or less was Mullerice! I also had lots of milkshakes - made with nesquick but REALLY weak!

Baby came out a massive 10lb 1oz so I beleive what they say about the Mum suffering not the baby!

I too took pronatal tabs right through just to make sure I was getting my vitamins

It did ease, and was eating loads by the end!

Good Luck!

sneakingin Sun 16-Aug-09 15:37:50

Have you tried citrus? I found eating a satsuma helped settle my stomach enough to be able to eat something else afterwards.

I couldn't drink water but if I put lemon in it it was fine. I also drank build up shakes.

floatyjosmum Sun 16-Aug-09 16:06:26

i had this problem with ds who is now 8, i couldnt stand anything that was normally really nice or the smell of things cooking.

i lived on steamed new potatoes for months and ready salted crisps.

did change towards the end when i had cravings fro garlic bread with kebab meat and garlic mayo - something i hadnt eaten before or since!

stuffitlllama Sun 16-Aug-09 16:09:42

agree with citrus

is highly processed food off for you as well? i found it bland enough ..but i know there's usually a lot of sugar in it

tinned veg, that kind of thing

otherwise can only suggest wholewheat pasta, with pulses for protein i think and then citrus for your vit c

shoesies Sun 16-Aug-09 18:27:38

I sympathise - had exactly the same problem, couldn't stomach any food with flavour. I was working at a Michelin starred Chinese restaurant when I was first pregnant and we could have anything we wanted off the menu. I'll never forget the evil look coming from the head chef everytime I asked for 'just plain boiled rice please' blush

To make things worse, dp is also a chef and I kept requesting dinner with 'absolutely no flavour'!! Thankfully those days have passed - week 15 was when my appetite came back and the sickness disappeared. It will get better I promise wink

mumbot Sun 16-Aug-09 19:46:17

Oh that's awful, I can't stand the smell of food at the moment and I'm 10 weeks. I only have to open the fridge door and I'm gipping like a cat bringing up a hairball!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now