Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Am I expecting too much movement or should I be worried?

(10 Posts)
heavenstobetsy Fri 14-Aug-09 17:34:30

Think I'm probably being over anxious but would appreciate some thoughts.

I am 18+4 with my second child - I felt my first child move at 18 weeks and seem to remember that I felt the movements pretty regularly after that, with the feeling getting stronger all the time (but this could all be wrong given I often can't remember what I had for breakfast let alone what happened 2.5 years ago blush)

Well, this time I felt movements a lot in week 15, then a few in week 16 and can't say that I think I have felt anything in the past week.

I've been telling myself that its still very early so of course the movements vary but the more time passes without being sure I've felt a movement the more I am worrying ..... and I haven't been able to reach my midwife for the past three days so do any MN have any experiences to share?

PerfectPrefect Fri 14-Aug-09 17:38:31

I don't think it is a concern at 18weks. The lie of the baby will determine how you feel them. Baby has probably just moved position.

mrsdisorganised Fri 14-Aug-09 17:49:55

If it helps I didn't feel baby #5 until 22 weeks, and even now at 29 weeks it's moreso in the evening! smile

mogend77 Fri 14-Aug-09 17:51:37

Mine have both been pretty sporadic at first. Do you know where your placenta is?

heavenstobetsy Fri 14-Aug-09 17:53:40

Thanks ladies. I think I know I am being paranoid I just wanted someone to tell me I wasn't being stupid thinking all was OK

I think the problem is I mentioned it to my mum at the start of the week and she has been nagging me for days to get checked out - its her that's making me worry!

maxbear Fri 14-Aug-09 19:57:41

I'm a midwife and am always telling people not to worry at this stage, that it is just due to the size and position of the baby, and the position of the placenta. Am 17weeks pregnant with my third, like you felt first 18 w and from then onwards lots, second one much earlier and always lots of movement, with this one I feel a few movements each day, mainly in the evening. I am always prodding it which doesn't really help blush! Anyway I am trying to take my own advice and not worry, am not really that worried, but would be much happier if it moved more, hopefully it will in the next few days, and weeks. smile

AngelDog Sat 15-Aug-09 08:50:04

heavenstobetsy, I'm sure you shouldn't worry. I'm 18+2 with my first, and I first felt movement at 16+6. No 'flutterings' or 'butterflies' - definitely a couple of little kicks. There was a week between the first and second time I felt them, and then another couple of days or so before I felt anything again. He was obviously okay as the last time I felt him, he was doing a very gentle 'kickathon' over the course of about an hour and a half.

From what my baby books say, you may well only feel the movements more regularly as you get further through.

Good luck!

heavenstobetsy Sat 15-Aug-09 18:24:17

thank you so much for all your comments, it really made me feel better ....... plus I got two hefty kicks last night just as I was off to bed grin

sumatra Sun 16-Aug-09 14:11:35

hi new to this,i am 20wks nearly&felt a slight flutter the other day,but nothing since,it is a worry especially if it is your 1st,so you have nothing to compare,they say all pregnancy's differ anyway.
I have my scan on tuesday so hopefully put my mind at ease then!

ErikaMaye Sun 16-Aug-09 20:41:15

I spoke to my MW about this the other week, as was being very paranoid, having just gone back on my meds, and baby hadn't been moving as much. (Of course, since mentioning it, the little bugger hasn't stayed still ) She said from 29 weeks they expect a minimum of ten movements a day, but before that, due to the size of the baby etc, they don't really have a set routine for them. Hope that comforts you, it made me feel SO much better

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now