Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

8 week scan - what can you expect to see?

(12 Posts)
Gangle Fri 14-Aug-09 10:54:44

I have a dating scan next week and just wondering what will show up, if anything? Do they just look for the sac or can they actually see the foetus? Can they also tell you how many are in there??

Sheeta Fri 14-Aug-09 10:58:41

You should be able to see the foetus, (google image search revealed this picture of an 8 week scan

Yes, I think they can fairly easily tell if there is more than one in there.

bunnyfrance Fri 14-Aug-09 11:03:05

Yes, you'll see the foetus and the beginnings of arms and legs, and of course the heartbeat!
Congrats on your pregnancy!

CMOTdibbler Fri 14-Aug-09 11:03:42

On my 8 week scan, DS looked like a broad bean with a flickering heartbeat.

You'd def be able to see if there was more than one

Caitni Fri 14-Aug-09 11:39:44

I had a seven week scan and saw a little bean measuring 9.8mm, with a very obvious yolk sac, and a heartbeat flickering away. Was amazing!

They'll definitely be able to see whether there's more than one and will be able to see the heartbeat etc. Enjoy it smile

AchduLieberHimmel Fri 14-Aug-09 11:47:50

I had a scan at 7+4 and then 8 weeks exactly. Baby measured 11mm at the first, 13mm at the second. Little bean shape, head end fattest with tiny buds of arms and legs and a little heartbeat. Yes they can see if it's twins at that stage!

rosie15977 Fri 14-Aug-09 11:54:35

Why do people have 8 week scans, is it because of probs, i'm 7 weeks and have to wait till 12 weeks for a scan. Just curious xxx

AchduLieberHimmel Fri 14-Aug-09 11:58:59

I was bleeding heavily, had already had one miscarriage and was threatening another. Would have loved not to have one. Was very traumatic at the time. DD was fine btw and is 2yrs old now.

Early scans are due to previous pregnancy problems, current problems, pregnancies arising from fertility treatment etc. Some people have them privately just for reassurance.

truthisinthewine Fri 14-Aug-09 12:01:08

On my 8 week scan baby was just like a kidney bean with four little stumps for arms and legs, was pretty clearly a baby (well the start of one!) could see heart beat fairly easily as well.

CMOTdibbler Fri 14-Aug-09 12:02:34

I got scanned every 2 weeks as I had had 3 miscarriages, and two of them had been missed (ie baby had died some time before any signs of miscarriage)

rosie15977 Fri 14-Aug-09 12:06:31

Just wondering as i had a misscarriage last november at 10 weeks, just worrying thats all, thought i might have been offered a scan earlier than 12 weeks this time x

Gangle Fri 14-Aug-09 13:53:31

How exciting! Still can't believe there is actually something in there! Rosie, mine is a dating scan as I haven't had periods since before I had DS, 17 months, so no idea of EDD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now