Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Very swollen feet/ankles - now getting pins and needles, anything to worry about?

(9 Posts)
spongebrainmaternitypants Fri 14-Aug-09 10:18:47

I am 29 weeks pg with DC2 and have had very swollen feet/ankles through most of the summer.

The last time I saw my MW she asked me if I was getting pins and needles and I wasn't, but now anytime I elevate my feet/ankles I get horrendous pins and needles and need to put them back down again so can't reduce the swelling sad.

Should I be worried about the pins and needles? Are they a sign of anything more serious?

My MW is generally useless so just wanted to see if anyone knows anything about this before attempting to contact her for some crap useful advice blush.

Thanks.

Ceolas Fri 14-Aug-09 10:23:13

Not sure what significance the pins/needles have, but if you are worried I'd get checked.

I have very swollen feet atm and mw said it's not a problem on its own but with raised BP and/or headache can be an indicator of pre-eclampsia.

Worth a phone call maybe?

JumpingJellyfish Fri 14-Aug-09 10:27:00

Definitely arrange for a BP check and urine dip to check for protein, as bad swelling can be an indicator of pre-eclampsia. You could maybe call the day obstetric unit at your hospital if you're not too happy calling your MW, as I'm sure they'd be happy to see you and get everything checked out.

In the meantime do familiarise yourself with symptoms of PE, just in case...:
www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp

I really hope it's nothing too serious and eases soon- good luck x

spongebrainmaternitypants Fri 14-Aug-09 10:40:55

Thanks guys. I had my BP and urine checked last week at a routine appt and all ok. I have looked at the symptoms for PE but don't have any aside from the swelling.

Think I may have to bite the bullet and phone the MW blush.

pooka Fri 14-Aug-09 10:58:48

I had very swollen feet a couple of weeks ago. PLus protein in urine. But blood pressure fine, swelling subsided a bit while on holiday in cornwall (lovely cold sea water!). Turned out the protein related to a UTI.

But have had pins and needles when I wake up for ages - in fingers and in feet. THink is to do, with me, with poor circulation. Also get numbness on waking up as well.

MrsBadger Fri 14-Aug-09 11:30:22

and put a pillow under the bottom sheet at the foot of your bed - made a huge difference to me

gloob Fri 14-Aug-09 15:04:16

I've had swollen feet and ankles for quite a long time now and I'm 38 weeks into my pregnancy. In the last few weeks the swelling went to my hands (so made sure I got wedding/engagement rings off while I could - don't want them being cut off).

I've made sure that my midwife has been aware of this from the start as I too was concerned about pre-eclampsia. Thankfully my blood pressure and urine have been fine, so that coupled with no headaches has meant that they're NOT concerned about pre-eclampsia - thank god!

Regarding the pins and needles, I've not had this in my feet but have it really quite badly in my hands. A couple of years ago I suffered with carpal tunnel in my right hand and this has been put down as the cause of this now. Mind you I must be so full of excess fluid it's not really surprising that extremities are swelling and hurting!

If you are concerned make sure that someone listens to you whether it be your midwife or your GP. It's not a nice experience but you need some reassurance from someone, so make a nuisance of yourself and get heard! Hope all is OK for you.

spongebrainmaternitypants Sat 15-Aug-09 19:54:55

Thanks guys, will speak to my GP on Monday as my MW is really not v sympathetic.

I have SPD so lying down is painful, but if I sit up my feet swell - the joys of pg eh?!

mogend77 Sat 15-Aug-09 20:49:16

Pins & needles can just be to do with water retention (similar to the situation with carpal tunnel) so are not particularly unexpected with swollen ankles. In the absence of other symptoms it's unlikely to be anything to worry about. Always worth getting checked over though, rather than worrying/missing something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now