Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

steroid injections at 30 wks,how soon to birth

(13 Posts)
erinsmom Thu 26-May-05 15:30:03

had pains for two days,2nd pregnancy,lost some of plug admitted into hospital for bed rest and steroids to boost babys lungs,its been 1 week and ive lost more plug have period like pains and tight bh contractions,i think! any one else experience similar?

Prufrock Thu 26-May-05 15:51:40

The steroids will have given the necessary boost to yoru babies lungs within 48 hours or so. But it's still best to keep the baby inside you for as long as possible. Every day counts in terms of reducing the risk of complications. I had steroid injections at 26 weeks with my dd as I had a potentoially dangerous liver condition, but I responded to the drugs they gave me and I managed to carry her to 36.5 weeks.

Are you stil in hospital - if not I would call your midwife or Labour ward asap to ask their advice. Good luck

Toothache Thu 26-May-05 15:54:52

Erinsmom - Phone the hospital. They will probably ask you to go in for monitoring. Best to get checked out.

....have you phoned yet???

clio Thu 26-May-05 16:20:33

This happened to me. I was admitted to hospital under observation and told that the plug would reform. However it didnt and I went into labour. The steroids made a huge difference to my DS. He did spend a long time in neo-natal but now 3 years old is completly healthy. I would call the hospital immediatly if I was you. Best for them to monitor you over the next few days.
Hope all goes well.

clio Thu 26-May-05 16:43:37

erinsmom,

Just to add. If you are admitted to hospital and they think you might deliver early, they may introduce you to the neo-natal unit where you can talk to the nurses. They did this with me and it was very reassuring. Although still very scary, at least it prepared me.

sparklymieow Thu 26-May-05 16:52:40

I had steroids with all my children, at 30 and 34 weeks with DS, 31 weeks with DD1 and 28 weeks with DD2, It helps boost their lungs. I had all my kids early and they were only on CPAP for a few days.
I would phone the hospital again and get checked out, a premature deliverly can be very fast.

SharonGroves Thu 26-May-05 16:56:03

How many weeks along are you?

I was admitted to hospital after having a "show" and then my waters breaking at 30+5. Had the steroids injections and intravenous antibiotics. I was sent home a week later but then went into labour that same day. Baby born 31+5 but at a very good weight (ask to get a scan done to check the weight and amniotic fluid level if you haven't been offered it). All was fine though, Murray was in the neonatel unit for a month (I agree that asking to have a look around is very useful). Now he is an ordinary, healthy,lively 3 year old.
Hope all goes well with you.

SharonGroves Fri 27-May-05 09:07:36

Sorry, I've seen that you were 30 wks when this started, so nearly the same as me. Hope all is going well.

erinsmom Mon 30-May-05 11:01:48

cheers for all the response ,ive just got out of hospital,baby still doing well 32 weeks now,went in because contractions coming every 6 mins, everything has stopped since but im taking it very easy so as not to set them off again.hopefully fourth time in hospital will be when i give birth at a reasonable time.

Toothache Mon 30-May-05 11:09:08

Phew!! SOOO glad you got it checked out. My friend developed Pre-eclampsia at 34 wks. She was given steroids for 24-48hrs (can't remember exactly) then her ds was delivered by emergency C-section at 34+4 wks. He weighed 4lb12oz and didn't need any help with breathing at all. They were both home after 3 days.

Good luck! I hope you keep hold of the wee one for another 3 or 4 weeks yet.

KMS Mon 30-May-05 15:56:46

I had strong bh contractions every 5 mins at 34 wks with DS2. I was sure they were braxtons but they were regular. Was taken in and put in a drip to stop the contractions and had steroid inj. Had a bad reaction to the drug to stop the contrations so they had to stop it.the contractions continued for 18hrs then stopped. DS2 was born at 40+3!
Hope all carries on well for you.

erinsmom Mon 30-May-05 16:03:36

doctors dont think ill go to term,anyway learned from midwife whilst in hospital they call term 37 weeks,which i was with dd1.im so uncomfortable now waddling about,baby doing a riverdance every half hour,it used to pretend to play football but now im sure its taken up dancing.37 weeks agai would be nice,fingers crossed

erinsmom Mon 30-May-05 16:10:14

if my waters break then ill be worried ,my waters broke last time 37+2,i had no pains until they were coming every five minutes ,within the hour they went to every three minutes,fortunately i went to hospital soon as the waters had gone, labour only lasted three hours from first pain until birth,so you can see why im a little worried about getting pain at the mo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now