Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

fellow GD sufferers - are you being/were you delivered early because of it?

(23 Posts)
olivo Wed 12-Aug-09 20:48:34

If so, how early? I am really struggling to control my glucose with diet alone; went to the diabetes clinic and they are waiting on the outcome of my appt tomorrow. it says somewhere in my notes that i may need to deliver between 38 -39 weeks - if not, presumably i'll have to actually start treating the diabetes, rather than just diet control.

did you / are you delivering early because of it? if so, how early?

thanks in advance - yes, i am panicking again!

mummynumnum Wed 12-Aug-09 21:31:38

I developed GD v late on and had insulin. DD was wk late weighing 9llb. C Section.

laurawantsababy Wed 12-Aug-09 21:38:05

My friend had this with her 2nd pregnancy. She had regular scans and weekly meetings with the nurse.

She was induced at 40 weeks and her ds weighed 8lbs.

She had to inject insulin twice a day and manged to control her diet so she could still have the odd treat! As soon as she had her ds she was back to normal.

Good luck.

Beccabump Wed 12-Aug-09 22:19:11

I had this, diet controlled from 30 weeks.

Was induced at 38 weeks as according to growth scans I was having a whopper and they were worried about me going to term.

Delivered a 7lb 5oz DS naturally.

llareggub Wed 12-Aug-09 22:24:35

I was induced at 38 weeks and had a VBAC. DS weighted 7 pounds 9, a whole pound lighter than his older brother born without GD!

olivo Thu 13-Aug-09 11:17:09

thank you. according to my growth scans, s/he is around 95th centile. also have polyhydramnios which i suppose is adding to the bulk of my bump!
see the cons again today so will try and get a definitive answer. They are keen on vbac, me not so! 38 wks tomorrow....

cthea Thu 13-Aug-09 11:25:46

Had GD diet controlled in third pregnancy. Planned CS at 38 weeks. GD insulin controlled in fourth. Planned CS at 38 weeks (brought early a couple of days as I'd gone into labour). Babies weighed 8lb+ but not as big as my first when I didn't have GD. Good luck, Olive.

bigcar Thu 13-Aug-09 13:36:05

I had gd in my last pregnancy, controlled by metformin (tablets) in the end, was induced at 39+3, ended in em cs due to scar rupture from previous cs (was v unlucky!) ds2 was 9lb 8oz. Just remember they are advising you, you don't have to do what they want, you have a say too. If you want a cs they have to listen to you and take your concerns seriously not just say no, check the NICE guidelines.

bigcar Thu 13-Aug-09 13:42:07

NICE cs guidelines here

EyeballsintheSky Thu 13-Aug-09 13:44:58

I developed GD at 38.5 weeks (how's my luck?! hmm) and was induced at dead on 40wks. Wasn't on insulin or controlling diet as it was so late on I guess. They didn't tell me to do anything special anyway.

bigcar Thu 13-Aug-09 14:41:14

also some useful stuff on here especially if they think your baby is going to be large.

olivo Thu 13-Aug-09 21:35:07

thank you. I have been booked in for a CS next week. will contact my diabetes team but consultant seemed to think i'd be ok just continuing with diet control till then.

bigcar Fri 14-Aug-09 10:24:31

that's great smile hope all goes well!

thoughtforms Fri 14-Aug-09 16:45:24

Good luck olivo - sounds like you might be just before me!

I've had nothing of great note happen since Tuesday, which is really annoying and a bit frustrating.. though hopefully it'll all be over by this time next week! (I'm booked in two days early, but only because baby's growth levels have come right down since I finished work - I suspect if they'd have kept rising, I'd be in there now)

thoughtforms Sat 15-Aug-09 09:48:56

Just adding, spoke to a friend who's a trainee midwife yesterday - this one is a good one for anyone who has diabetes, and is about to give birth.

Once baby is born, get some socks on her as quickly as possible - basically, warm the feet up. Baby will have a blood sugar test which will be on the heel - and if her feet are warmer, then it's easier for them to do (otherwise they have to kind of nip the skin a bit more), than if her feet are cold. I've written it into my birth plan now, anyway.

Thought it may be some help!

olivo Sun 16-Aug-09 09:20:21

HI thoughtforms, good to hear from you. Am quite relieved I have to say, though a little scared! bizarrely enough, my glucose levels seem to have settled down a bit, maybe less stressed now i know what is happening?
Thanks for the tip about the socks, i will make a note of that on my notes.
If i don't talk to you again before B-day, good luck, and let me know how it goes.

brightonbleach Sun 16-Aug-09 13:22:42

hi. i was diagnosed with either 'real life' diabetes or GD (they'won't know till after pregnancy' ) at 14 weeks, injecting and dietcontrol. and they are telling me they won't let me get past 38 weeks max even though at my fortnightly growth scans he is measuring in the normal (if 80 centile) scale. am 29 weeks now, i think its a tad early for them to be sure he will be big~! fingers crossed its not a whopper, eh

sabire Tue 18-Aug-09 22:01:41

I had gd with both second and third babies, though it wasn't picked up until I was 35 weeks with my second. I was diet controlled.

I had a homebirth with an independent midwife at 41 weeks with my second - my baby was 10lbs 12oz.

I worked hard on my diet with my third (once you've had one giant baby you feel very motivated to do things differently next time around!). I didn't follow the diet given me by the dietician but did quite a bit of experimentation to find out what worked for me best - I got through so many of those little test sticks, which cost a fortune! I went into labour spontaneously at 40 weeks on the dot, and had a normal birth - 9lbs 3oz though baby had bigger head circumference and was longer than previous baby.

forevermore Thu 20-Aug-09 15:56:48

hi i am being delivered at 38 weeks due to GD and placenta previa grade IV. so far GD controlled by insulin but baby measuring big (nearly 8lb at 36 weeks). Could this be only due to GD or the fact that both parents are over 6' and the femur length has been off the chart >99th centile since 20 weeks and tall people weigh more!?hmm.

also what can i expect from a 9-10lb baby. any experiences pls. DD1 was born at 35 weeks (i also had GD and was on insulin) 6lb 3oz so would have been big but not this big (her blood sugars were fine but they forced formula on her anyways). she fed BF poorly was jaundiced and a really hard work until 5 mths really.

i am really scared of csection (but coming to terms with it)but mainly large baby and what problems that could bring.

JRocks Thu 20-Aug-09 17:05:59

Hi, I've had a growth scan today, showing large baby and polyhydramnios, and will be having the glucose tolerance test on Monday morning to check if I have GD. It's good to read some reassuring stories, as I came out of the appointment totally freaked out. The sonographer said that the baby was already around 7lb 3oz - and I'm only 35 weeks tomorrow. As well as GD concerns, I'm worried about delivering a large baby as I'm quite small with narrow hips. Really really don't want to have a C section if at all possible (unless of course we need it).

forevermore Thu 20-Aug-09 17:56:23

whats really strange is that i have unexplained oligohydramnios??? apparently polyhydramnios is associated with GDhmm

franfoxy2003 Thu 20-Aug-09 20:00:28

hi all, im 37+1 and got informed today that im being induced at 39+5 due to gd, pretty annoyed cos dc1 was induced at 36+6 and wanted to go naturally this time! ah well whatever is best for the baby!

forevermore Thu 20-Aug-09 20:41:13

why have they said they are inducing you? what treatment have they offered?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now