Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Talk to me about breech babies and ECV, please

(24 Posts)
Habbibu Tue 11-Aug-09 22:56:38

Almost 33 weeks, and think baby may still be breech. Time still to turn, I know, and it seems pretty mobile, but me being me, I like to know what might happen.

Have MW appt on Friday, and am due to see cons on 27th, so if still breech on Fri, I thought I might phone cons just to let him know, in case he wants to scan to confirm.

Baby is likely to be big (dd was 10lb 11oz), but dd was a relatively easy delivery - got a tiny bit stuck, but no forceps, ventouse etc. Community MW thinks it's very unlikely that they'd want to deliver a baby that big in breech pos'n, so I was going to ask for an ECV if it hasn't shifted. Anyone have any experience of it?

Thank you!

bookswapper Tue 11-Aug-09 22:58:54

i had that

it was horrendously painful and quite brutal, in a medieval torture sort of way

try anything else....moxabustion?

bookswapper Tue 11-Aug-09 22:59:45

oh and it didn't work...but on the bright side, the midwives let me eat all their chocolates afterwards

Klaw Tue 11-Aug-09 23:06:07

No experience but now that you HAVE to be relaxed, and it can be very uncomfortable! There's research which suggests that an epidural has good results for enabling ECV, which backs up the RELAXING idea.

Try Moxa sticks, you can get them from an accupunturist. not sure where else....

good breech site with lots of turning tips

Klaw Tue 11-Aug-09 23:06:14

No experience but now that you HAVE to be relaxed, and it can be very uncomfortable! There's research which suggests that an epidural has good results for enabling ECV, which backs up the RELAXING idea.

Try Moxa sticks, you can get them from an accupunturist. not sure where else....

good breech site with lots of turning tips

Habbibu Tue 11-Aug-09 23:08:57

Hmm, well, kind of expecting it to be painful - watched a vid on youtube, and it wd prob be Dr A (you probably know him, Klaw?> doing it, and he took away my G&A with dd! That said, I di trust him A Lot, so... Oh, I'd just rather avoid a section if I can.

Will attempt all sorts of wiggling. Will give dd a laugh if nothing else...

Mistymoo Tue 11-Aug-09 23:11:38

I had an ECV and was not in any pain at all with it. The MW offered me gas and air but the consultant said that if it did hurt he wouldn't do it. It took a few tries and consultant was only going to do one more try and that was the one that turned her. When she was born just about a week later she was 9lb so not a small baby either.

Hope that helps

Spaceman Tue 11-Aug-09 23:14:19

I had it; it was painful and unsuccessful. There is a lot of advice out there. Sit on a ball and wiggle hips leaning forward. I did it second time around: two hours every night. Baby came, right way around, at 36 weeks I had done so much moving!

hairymelons Tue 11-Aug-09 23:17:25

I had ECV at 38 weeks. I spent about 4 weeks in downward dog and did a 2 week moxibustion course but to no avail. I had booked for a homebirth so was desperate to get him turned.
Anyhow, the ECV was absolutely fine. My main worry was that it would distress the baby but he didn't seem to bat an eyelid.

I was given a muscle relaxant and then baby was monitored for an hour. I was then taken to a scan room where the consultant scanned to check his position then turned him. It all took about 2 minutes. It did hurt a bit but was over in seconds. Basically, either they can get a good hold and the ECV works or they can't- I think the success rate at this particular hospital was 50%.

They monitored us both for an hour afterwards then we went home. I slept sitting up that night just to make sure he didn't turn back! blush

The only downside was that having been turned just a week before I went into labour he didn't have time to descend very far and it was a long OP labour. Well worth it in my book though, I'd do it again.

Hopefully won't come to that for you, plenty of time for baby to turn yet!

Klaw Tue 11-Aug-09 23:18:10

Also new Canadian research to support caesareans not necessary all the time for breech.

Good breech video on you tube

Habbibu Tue 11-Aug-09 23:21:16

Thanks, all. Klaw, it was just that the MW dismissed the idea of a vaginal delivery with a big baby; but who knows - cons seems quite keen on more natural approach, so we'll see.

Klaw Tue 11-Aug-09 23:29:41

Strange, it's usually the other way round seeing as midwives are the experts in natural birth and the cons are experts in the abnormal and surgery!!

If I was you I'd look into Moxa, ironing boards, frozen peas, and torchlights up your fanjo methods etc.

Also 33 weeks is still very early in terms of presentation so you have a good chance of encouraging baby to turn.

Congrats on your pg btw smile

Habbibu Tue 11-Aug-09 23:36:09

Thank you!

Re cons; I know; it is unusual, but he was not keen on sweeps, inductions, etc, came in when MW was setting up for forceps, and reckoned it wasn't necessary (and he was right) - he delivered her himself, in the end. seems quite chilled, generally, which is nice. But he knows us pretty well - complicated history!

Will try some of the options - if nothing else, it'll keep me distracted while waiting for baby to turn...

Tidey Tue 11-Aug-09 23:38:42

It's not too late for the baby to turn naturally, I was booked for an ECV but when I got to the appointment they sent me off to be scanned and DD had turned on her own.

Habbibu Tue 11-Aug-09 23:41:36

<worries about state of pelvic floor after shoving ironing boards, peas and torches up fanjo>

That's the right kind of story, Tidey. Thanks!

Klaw Tue 11-Aug-09 23:50:28

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo grin you don't shove an ironing board up there!!! you put it at 45degree angle or whatever against your sofa and lie against it upside down for 10mins 3 times a day, or something - check out the links

PMSL

Th efrosen peas go on the top of your bump so that the cold makes baby turn his/her head away, and the torchlight is supposed to sign the exit though I can't see how that can work really.

shinners07 Wed 12-Aug-09 00:06:13

Don't do it! I had one at 37 weeks - unsuccessful and apart from the pain (considerable) I was really concerned at how forceful they were in trying to turn baby - it was 1, 2, 3 HEAVE - HO with 2 doctors taking turns to try to turn baby with all their might. Dreadful experience - sheer torture for me and CAN'T have been good for baby. Tried Moxa sticks, acupuncture, kneeling on all fours for hours - all useless!! Ended up with a C section. DS was wedged in so tightly they nicked his bum shock with the scalpel when they were taking him out. I have since had two more DC's who were more well behaved and came out head first - vaginal deliveries. But I would have C sections in a heartbeat if the choice was C Section or ECV - you still have time - baby may turn! best of luck smile

Habbibu Wed 12-Aug-09 12:15:10

Sorry you had a rough time, shinners. I'm still tempted, tbh, while taking your experience on board. Our consultant is great, so maybe that's why I feel more positive about the option, and I really don't want a section if I can help it - just don't want to be stuck in hosp away from dd (yes, yes, pfb emoticon), and was excited about using new MLU in the hosp.

I think this baby is pretty mobile - could have turned 4 times in the last few days for all I know! Head down, sunshine - you hear me?

arolf Wed 12-Aug-09 13:02:22

I read somewhere that ECV works best on second or subsequent babies - does anyone know if that's the case?

Mine is still breech at 34 weeks, and has been pretty much since the beginning, so I'm starting to worry a bit about ECV/C sections/natural breech births. My midwife has said that she won't be worrying about anything until 36 weeks, but I'm starting to mull over all the options just now!

Habbibu Fri 14-Aug-09 13:02:20

I think I read that somewhere official - maybe RCOG guidelines, or NHS pages? Just spoke to my hosp - apparently my consultant has good success rate with ECVs, so am feeling a bit better now, as baby is still breech. Still has time to turn, as I'm only 33 weeks, but I like to know my options too.

SleepWhenImDead Fri 14-Aug-09 13:14:05

I had ECV at past 39wks, was VERY painful and it didn't work - DS got to a diagonal position and it would have been even more painful to get him past the diagonal point. however I'm v glad I gave it a try - as I gave myself the opportunity for a natural birth.

You're in a much better position if it's earlier on (36-38wks), and it's your second pregnancy - first timers are not likely to have a successful ECV especially so late on.

9 hours after my unsuccessful ECV I went into labour, and I'm sure it was connected to the trauma of DS being shoved around. So my advice would be to prepare yourself for it kicking things off, have your bag fully packed in the car when you go to have your ECV. V good idea to get an idea of the success rate of the person, too.

Habbibu Fri 14-Aug-09 13:31:53

ooh - good point. Will pack bag and have it in car for 36 week appt just in case!

SleepWhenImDead Fri 14-Aug-09 13:46:09

Oh forgot to say, good luck for the baby turning of his/her own accord, it probably will! spinningbabies.com/ is useful if you haven't had a look about positioning already.

musicmaiden Fri 14-Aug-09 14:13:59

Had one on Tuesday (am 37 weeks) - you're nil by mouth for it so I hope you get seen quickly - it was 2.30 before I was and I was famished!

Was as other posters have said - monitoring, injection, heave-ho with two consultants! Very uncomfortable and eventually they stopped as I felt I would pass out (partly due to hunger and heat in room I think). Glad I tried though all the same. So I am booked for C-section in two weeks (he is oblique breech with dangling legs, so likelihood of a straightforward natural birth v slim even if hosp had given me the option, which they didn't)

Definitely worth you trying all the tips above and yes, apparently second babies are more likely to turn during ECV.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now