Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help please - Conflicting scan results!

(15 Posts)
ready2pop Tue 11-Aug-09 07:51:03

Sorry, this is going to be a bit long but I'm confused and could do with some advice - especially from any mws or sonographers around?

I'm 36 weeks and have been having growth scans every 4 weeks because my placenta failed with my DS so he was very small (but OK thankfully).

I went in for my last scan yesterday and the was initially told that the same thing had happened again. The scan showed baby's growth tailing off from 50th centile to about 15th plus increased resistance in the umbilical artery and they couldn't see much movement. This sparked a bit of a panic and I was sent off for more monitoring and warned that I would probably either be kept in and given daily scans or induced early.

Then, yesterday afternoon the Dr asked the senior sonographer to repeat the scan after which they decided everything looks fine and sent me home??????

According to the 2nd sonographer, the baby's growth has only tailed off very slightly (they estimate weight at 5lbs 11oz at 36 wks) and the blood flows are still within the normal range. She said she thought that the earlier result might have been made inaccurate if baby was moving about a lot (which I don't really understand as one of the concerns had been lack of movement?).

They haven't booked me in for any more scans now as they say the later scan was normal and the rest of my care is routine mw only.

Anyway, I can't stop worrying about how they got 2 such conflicting results the same day. Also how can I be confident that it was the first scan that was wrong rather than the second? I've been up all night panicking that my placenta is going to fail and I'm not going to realise. By the time of the second scan they could see the baby moving about a lot but I'm not able to feel her so I can't rely on her movements as a guide either.

I just feel so confused now - I wish I had been more pushy yesterday but was just a bit shell shocked.

Thanks for making it this far!

LeninGrad Tue 11-Aug-09 08:07:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rubyslippers Tue 11-Aug-09 08:08:45

as LG says you need another scan

especially as they have both been so different

with your past history you must insist

LeninGrad Tue 11-Aug-09 08:15:37

dal21 Tue 11-Aug-09 08:16:59

Did they do a doppler scan yesterday aswell?

It sounds as though they did, in which case how can they go from being concerned to being fine?

You have every reason to feel confused! Insist on another scan asap and a proper explanation as to why they went from one outcome to another.

I have always heard that growth scans can be notoriously inaccurate, but a doppler scan showing blood flows should have been accurate.

ready2pop Tue 11-Aug-09 08:53:13

thankls for the replies.

I haven't been feeling much movement for the .last couple of weeks and have barely felt anything since sunday but the baby was definitely moving during the second scan - even i could see that.

They did the dopplers twice and got totally different results. i'm trying to get another scan now but they are refusing.

I'm ignoring the growth measurements as with my son they estimated he'd be 9lbs + but he was actually 5.

LeninGrad Tue 11-Aug-09 09:23:31

ready2pop Tue 11-Aug-09 11:08:05

Right. They have agreed to see me again on Thursday for CTG and bp checks. They won't book another scan but have made an appt for me to see a consultant on thursday too so I will take it up with him.

As for the birth plan they had always warned me I'd probably be induced a bit early (DS was induced in a panic at 38 weeks) because it was likely this baby would be IUGR too. By the end of yesterday, they were telling me I didn't need any more monitoring, other than a 38 week mw appointment, and that they were confident I'd go to full term and then deliver spontaneously.

Although they've agreed to see me again they made it clear they think I'm being hysterical about all of this (as has my DH who thinks we just have to trust them) so it is nice to know that others think the differing results yesterday warrant investigation.

LeninGrad Tue 11-Aug-09 11:46:37

LeninGrad Tue 11-Aug-09 11:47:36

dal21 Tue 11-Aug-09 14:01:27

Ready - well done for getting in to see a consultant on Thurs. Hold your ground and dont leave until the answers they give you totally and utterly reassure you. You are not being hysterical - at all. They need to give you a full explanation as to why they have done such an about turn on their prognosis.

I am totally stumped as to why two doppler scans can show such different results.With DS, I had regular doppler scans from 33/34 weeks and they were all consistently showing good blood flow. Out of curiousity - was the first sonographer fairly junior? I would feel slightly reassured that it was on the basis of a senior sonographers scan that you were sent home.

Also - is there anyone who you can take with you for support on Thurs? To help you hold your ground if needs be?

Finally - if you get more episodes of reduced movement before Thurs, go straight to the hospital - dont wait for your appt!

lilysam Tue 11-Aug-09 15:29:38

I just want to agree with the other posters and show some support. I'm really surprised with your history that they are just going to leave you until labour starts naturally!Don't get fobbed off by anyone. If you're not happy then say so and definitely go back if you are unhappy with babys movements. It's just too important. I'd be camping outside that hospital until i was 100% happy. I couldn't care less if i'm seen as a neurotic pregnant woman - as long as you and baby are well, that's what counts.

Great idea about taking someone with you too - they can get pushy on your behalf smileif you're a bit overwhelmed by things! Hope all goes well at your appointments x

ready2pop Fri 14-Aug-09 09:03:59

Just a quick update. i was rescanned by the consultant yesterday and he confirmed that the results show early stage placental problems. not bad enough yet that the baby is in danger but they need to keep a close eye on it and given that i'll be 37 weeks next week have told me to expect an early arrival.

i'm quite shocked that this would have gone ujnchecked if i'd just accepted what i was told on monday - who knows what could have happened?

Anyway thanks for the advice - you gave me the strength to be pushy about this when everyone else was treating me like a hypochondriac. DH know very sheepish too.

lilysam Thu 20-Aug-09 07:50:58

OMG - thank goodness you asked for more clarification!

Looking forward to hearing your birth announcement xx

beautifulgirls Thu 20-Aug-09 10:01:10

Glad they are keeping an eye on things now and well done you for pushing things. I would make a written complaint about what happened previously and highlight your concerns not only about the fact they had two such conflicting results in one day, one of which resulted in potentially very dangerous advice being given ,but also the attitude you received after pushing for further checks to me made too. This should not be happening to anyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now