Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When should you worry about shoulder pain in early pregnancy?

(7 Posts)
ThePregnantPhantomPlopper Mon 10-Aug-09 22:35:25

I'm not too worried, but I'm 4.5 weeks pregnant and yesterday evening and again this evening I've had some stabbing pains in my shoulder. It's not really the tip, slightly closer to the neck than that.

I've had no bleeding and only the occasional lower abdominal pain, which I'm sure is normal as I had it with the first two.

As far as I'm aware any shoulder pain related to an ectopic is caused by internal bleeding, in which case I assume I would have had considerable pain at some stage.

Obviously if it gets worse I'll give NHS direct a ring, just checking that ATM I don't need to worry?

FlamingoBingo Mon 10-Aug-09 22:37:15

I think it's probably worth checking out, even if it's just to put your mind at rest. Have you got an OOH GP you can call? NHS Direct have usually been a waste of time for me.

FlamingoBingo Mon 10-Aug-09 22:38:22

Just found this - might be helpful?

ThePregnantPhantomPlopper Mon 10-Aug-09 22:42:41

Thanks for that Flamingo.

It's not a pain I'd have to take pain killers for, so hopefully nothing to worry about.

Have OOH doctor will give them a call if it gets worse.

memoo Mon 10-Aug-09 22:59:10

Shoulder tip pain related to ectopic is caused when the ectopic ruptures.

I had a ruptured ectopic, and the shoulder tip pain. If the pain you are experiencing was related to an ectopic you would know about it by now.

xfingerscrossedx Tue 11-Aug-09 10:55:08

I agree with memoo. With my ectopic this was one of the last symptoms, caused by internal bleeding. I had already been bleeding very dark, almost black blood for several days and experiencing pretty severe cramps. If you feel ok in yourself I wouldn't worry too much... I feel awful, really weak and drained and I knew all was not right. If you're really worried contact Dr/EPU. I already had a scan booked which was how ectopic discovered - Dr told me to wait until then (only two days after appointment).

I'm sure you won't, but if you do start feeling unwell and you're bleeding and cramping go straight to A&E.

I had lots of aches and pains (abdominal and neck, back etc...) this pregnancy, which obviously made me paranoid, but all ok so far. Now 15+2. Good luck xxx

xfingerscrossedx Tue 11-Aug-09 10:57:38

meant to say felt awful, not feel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now