Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

pram for london transport?

(22 Posts)
ursigurke Mon 10-Aug-09 19:11:51

I'm currently looking for a pram/2in1.... and it just seems to be impossible to find the right one. I really want something with a real carrycot, not just a small soft one that you squeeze into a buggy (e.g. MacLaren). I only know the Bugaboo Cameleon and I quite like it but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be too large to get onto busses in London. Any experience or advice?

eastendmummy Mon 10-Aug-09 19:37:04

We have the Bugaboo and it's good for walks and very comfy for the baby although it is heavy (especially as they get older) and has large back wheels which make it difficult, although not impossible for getting on buses. We also live in London and I use the bus quite a lot and it's fine although can be a squeeze if there's another pram. If you are putting it in the car though, it's a pain in the neck! Collapsing it is difficult and it's very bulky even in a big boot. Friends of mine have the Bugaboo Bee which they all rate particularly for public transport as it's light and very maneuverable. Hope that helps!

stickybean Mon 10-Aug-09 19:38:18

I have a bugaboo cameleon and wouldn't want to use it on and off London buses / trains. It is a lovely pram, big carry cot etc but it is quite large.
It might be worth having a look at the bugaboo bee, which although doesn't have a seperate carrycot it is more enclosed than the soft insert in other umbrella strollers.

Also perhaps the pramette type buggies, Mamas and papas do them or silver cross.

ursigurke Mon 10-Aug-09 20:38:40

Thanks for those quick replies. As we don't have a car, the disadvantage of collapsing it wouldn't be an issue. I guess, it is best to use a MacLaren type of buggy from 6 month on but then it is probably not worth to spend so much money on a Bugaboo. I know the Bugaboo Bee as well, and I just find it incredibly tiny. I guess, as both sides of the family are really tall, I'm rather not expecting a small baby.
I want a real carrycot as it seems to be much more stable and as get back pain myself quite easily when sleeping in the wrong bed, I would like my baby to have enough space too.

wonderingwondering Mon 10-Aug-09 20:42:04

I had a Pramette from Mamas and Papas, and my little whopper (well into the 90th centiles for length, weight, head, etc) was quite comfy in it until he was big enough to sit up.

Then I got a Maclaren XT. I liked having the carrycot around him when he was a tiny baby though, so worth the expense of two buggies.

plantsitter Mon 10-Aug-09 20:45:46

I have a Maclaren XLR which is great on public transport. When DD was tiny she went in the car seat, which attaches. It now has a carrycot bit you can put on it, which I do wish I had had as other people's carrycots seemed so cosy. Without the carrycot it is nice and light, has an excellent turning circle (brilliant on London buses) and folds easily(ish).

lisad123 Mon 10-Aug-09 20:47:47

have you looked at stokke xplory?

lisad123 Mon 10-Aug-09 20:47:54

have you looked at stokke xplory?

MarthaFarquhar Mon 10-Aug-09 20:48:55

I also had and loved the XLR. With public transport, it's not so much the size of the buggy as the ease of manouverability, especially when the bus is busy and people are too stupid tightly packed in to move much.

ursigurke Tue 11-Aug-09 07:28:40

Thanks for your advice.
wonderingwondering, I will check out the Pramette, as I too want a carrycot at the beginning, I guess, later the MacLaren are the best for London Transport. plantsitter, I have seen the MacLaren carrycot in the shop but it looks sooo tiny. I can't imagine how a 4-6month old could possibly fit in.
lisad123, I don't really like the stokke xplory for various reasons (the most stupid one: our neighbour who I really don't like, has one, but I also think it is too stiff without any suspension)

EffiePerine Tue 11-Aug-09 07:37:47

We had a pramette for DS1 which was great for buses (and a good rear-facing pram). Folds easily too. The stokke looks good but IME is a pain to get up and down steps so I'd avoid it.

If you are thinking of a pramette, try for a second hand one as they do not keep their value well.

Crazycatlady Tue 11-Aug-09 12:55:26

The bugaboo bee is awesome on London transport. It's lighter and much easier to manoevre than a maclaren, turns on a sixpence and you can push the handle down to make more space which makes such a difference. I also have no trouble lifting mine alone up and down stairs for the rare occasions when I don't get offered help.

The other bonus of the bee is the massive hood which stops strangers cooing and coughing all over your baby.

Granted it does look narrow, but not a problem with a tall child if that's what you're expecting.

It fits neatly onto the escalators at Selfridges and is narrower than just about all other buggies so fits neatly next to the table at Caffe Nero ;) And when you're done you can push it one handed leaving your other hand free for shopping, cappucino or a brolly. You just can't do that with a heavier buggy or a two-handle job.

I wouldn't recommend a Cameleon for London, very wide at the back and heavy, although it is lovely it is less practical for London living and twice the price.

I love my bee so much I'm positively evangelical about it!

EyeballsintheSky Tue 11-Aug-09 12:58:03

I've only ever been on a bus three times with dd, once with an XT and the others with the Bee and the difference was amazing. The Bee is perfect for London transport. It nips into the buggy bit of the bus and you hardly efven know it's there.

Crazycatlady Tue 11-Aug-09 12:59:40

p.s. the baby cocoon which slots into the bee for newborns is the cosiest, comfiest lovely thing so I would say it's more womb-like and comfortable for a newborn than a carrycot.

hanaflower Tue 11-Aug-09 13:00:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cassell Tue 11-Aug-09 13:18:56

I have a silver cross dazzle which is a carry cot slotted into a buggy, the carry cot is quite substantial and is still ok for ds (4mths), he has slept in it at night so far (with an additional mattress) and has seemed to find it comfy. The dazzle is narrower than most others I have seen which is a bonus on the bus! Also, I manage the trains/tube by unslotting the carrycot, folding the buggy and carrying one bit in either hand (it's quite light) - sounds a nusiance but I managed to change trains in 1 min at London Bridge including up/down stairs so it's doable! DS is almost big enough now to go in the buggy on it's own and that will last him until he doesn't need one any more.

The dazzle doesn't win any prizes for looks - I fancied the Bee but dh thought it was too small to last for long and too expensive (probably sensible...) The pilko from mamas and papas looks good too and I have friends who say it is v good

hanaflower Tue 11-Aug-09 14:16:06

TheInvisibleHand Tue 11-Aug-09 15:34:37

I used a sling a lot until DCs were around 6 months old (soft sling like a Kari-me for preference) and from around 3 months a McLaren Techo, which is handy and easy on buses and tubes. TBH if you are thinking about using the tube much I've found slings far easier than buggies. Not so much an issue on the bus.

mamadiva Tue 11-Aug-09 15:49:30

The Baby Jogger City Mini is great for public transport and you can buy a proper carrycot for it, it is expensive but well worth it!

Pliko switch is quite good too.

Loola up is another one, it has one handle, folds umbrella style and has reversible seat nit. It is heavy though.

ursigurke Tue 11-Aug-09 20:19:25

That all sounds very interesting. I've already ordered a sling but always thought the baby would get too heavy too quickly, especially as you have to walk quite a bit in London. But I've just heard that they might get heavier but you are getting stronger in the same time. Hopefully that's true
I thought that I will have to avoid the tube anyway and was more asking about the busses. So, I suppose in the end, travelling in London would be easiest with a sling anyway and the pram would be more for going for a walk in the park or even better on countryside.

wonderingwondering Tue 11-Aug-09 21:05:56

I used to tuck the sling under the buggy, and just pop him in it while on the tube (or bus), so he was nice and safe, attached to me, while on the train (no danger from the train swaying about/people stumbling, and I could have hopped off quickly if there was any need to).

But until they can sit unsupported, it would be quite hard to take them out all day in a sling as there's no way to put them down in a restaurant, or even to go to the loo. Most highchairs are the basic wooden frames so they'd need to be able to sit up before going in that.

hanaflower Tue 11-Aug-09 21:43:53

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now