Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

possible silly question:are cat fleas anything to worry about when pregnant?

(6 Posts)
brightonbleach Mon 10-Aug-09 13:53:54

we have a friendly cat who lives next door and comes to see us, i noticed he was scratching alot yesterday when I was petting him in our garden and saw a little flea at his neck - just wondering if I need to avoid him at all costs now (!) as I'm pregnant? anyone know? I haven't heard any horror stories so probably fine - I'm not cleaning his litter or anyting like that (I know about dangers of toxo-whatsit), am just wondering if a cat flea bites you when you're pregnant if its anything to worry about... ta!

bethoo Mon 10-Aug-09 13:59:34

no problems, i was going to suggest that you just wash your hands after frontlining him but since he is not yours!

mogend77 Mon 10-Aug-09 14:36:55

Cat fleas are nothing to worry about. Flea powder is though - so best not to take direct action on this one!

I'd probably wash hands after petting him for a while just in case the owner has been at him with the flea powder.

brightonbleach Mon 10-Aug-09 14:39:24

Brilliant, thanks for quick replies chaps grin

its amazing, the list of things I can think of to worry about grows day by day... I love that I can come on here and knock things OFF the list! cheers again.

EliandmE Tue 11-Aug-09 13:36:49

Shameful confession:

We had two lovely cats, both of whom had very stubborn fleas throughout the duration of my pregnancy and the first few months of my ds life. I literally had to flick fleas from my newborn baby's head blush. Our GP said it was nowt to worry about.

Laura233 Tue 11-Aug-09 15:33:33

This is a very comforting read for me... as I have 3 cats with persistant fleas that the frontline does not seem to effect so at least I know I am ok now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now