Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

IMHO there are 2 types of pregnant woman... the basket ball type...

(19 Posts)
corblimeymadam Sun 09-Aug-09 23:19:21

Message withdrawn

sheeplikessleep Mon 10-Aug-09 08:01:29

tis another girl then wink

Cies Mon 10-Aug-09 08:25:53

Me too. I want to look pregnant, not like a butch weightlifter. <<wail>>

I got chatting to an old lady in the park while walking the dog and mentioned I was 26 weeks pg. "Oh, yes, you've really widened out haven't you?!" <<grrr>>

brightonbleach Mon 10-Aug-09 09:11:32

yes, I feel like a tree-trunk! I would have loved the neat football-up-the-jumper look, but as i wasn't skinny to start with I thought I wouldn't get that. My nan when i saw her when I was 26 weeks (am 28 now) said "its more of a big all over look than a baby bump isn't it" which i thought was loooooovely of her... hmm

corblimeymadam Mon 10-Aug-09 09:57:24

Message withdrawn

JRocks Mon 10-Aug-09 09:59:29

The problem with the basketball look is people think you've reached term at around 30 weeks and look at you in horror as you waddle walk towards them. And then ask if you're having twins grin

mumsiebumsie Mon 10-Aug-09 12:44:37

I have a basketball shape (am expecting a girl so that throws that theory out the window). Am average size in clothes i.e size 12.

I like the fact that I don't look overweight however people do presume I'm close to giving birth when really I'm only 25 weeks as my belly sticks out so much

So it has it's disadvantages!

anniemac Mon 10-Aug-09 13:54:41

Message withdrawn

corblimeymadam Mon 10-Aug-09 15:28:53

Message withdrawn

MrsTittleMouse Mon 10-Aug-09 15:32:15

Nah, I've had two girls and I always had the basketball pregnancies. Except in my case I had three basketballs instead of one, and everyone started panicking that I was going to give birth on their bus/in their taxi/in their cafe from about 5 months. hmm

anniemac Mon 10-Aug-09 15:35:05

Message withdrawn

carrielou2007 Mon 10-Aug-09 17:11:29

Everyone said to me I was having a boy when I was expecting dd even though I knew it was a girl and I was just all bump. I was a bit overweight before so was a 14 rather than my usual size 12 and have always had a rather plump bottom grin. Same this time, 19 weeks and from behind not a sign (bottom still quite plump).

I was walking to try to bring on labour at 42 weeks with dd and I had really long blonde hair then and I had a wolf whistle from a man in a van - you should have seen the shock on his face when he saw what was at the front as he drove past megrin

Plenty of growing room yet!!

Boogellyboo Mon 10-Aug-09 18:25:26

Im 26 weeks with my first and feel huge all over. Im normally a 10 and my thighs and bum are definately bigger but bumps bloody massive. People keep presuming Im much further on and look shocked when I say Ive got 14 weeks to go angry

corblimeymadam Mon 10-Aug-09 22:45:15

Message withdrawn

muddle78 Wed 12-Aug-09 23:36:15

im 22 weeks and got told "not long to go now" today?!!! hmm

i got big all over plus a basketball look, including a 'rather plump bottom' wink

pregnancy seems to provide people with the false belief that it is suddenly ok and no longer rude to comment on a woman's physical appearance and inparticular her size blush

Stokey Thu 13-Aug-09 13:12:22

i am enormous too - huge basket ball out front at 28 wks & lots of raised eyebrows when I say i have 3 mths to go.

Met someone for dinner last night who said he was looking out for a skinny girl & then saw me hone into view on the horizon.

also made mistake of standing on scales today & have put on 2 stone already sad
think that is what is recommended for entire pregnancy!

LauraKB Thu 13-Aug-09 15:06:19

"Yes - I am getting the 'oh... not till November' with raised eyebrows...."

Me too! In fact a girl in a shop said to be last week (exact words) "Not til November? But you're massive though!"

smile

She was quite young bless her so it was hard to be offended. Probably about the only time in your life you won't be offended when someone says that to you.

LauraKB Thu 13-Aug-09 15:07:04

Oops that should be 'said to me' not said to be.

josiejo79 Thu 13-Aug-09 20:00:45

The problem with the beach ball look is that i got told the other day that i can't possibly be due in a week as my bump was simply too small. Sent me into a mild panic that i was going to go massivley over my due date!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now