Talk

Advanced search

Telling the sex of baby from 12 week scan - the nub and the handburger/turtle theories?

(6 Posts)
oldboiler Sun 09-Aug-09 21:40:49

Anyone have any experience of the nub theory ? Where the angle of the nub can tell if the baby is a boy or girl at 12 weeks? What about the 3 lines (handburger) for a girl or 2 lines (turtle) for a boy? I'm desperate to know the sex of my baby (but didn't find out at 20 week scan as partner didn't want to know) so have spent my time studying the nub and lines and come to the conclusion it's a girl. Anyone know how reliable this is?

sockmonster Sun 09-Aug-09 22:31:47

Hi I think it's very reliable. I was told boy at first scan due to angle of nub, if it's over 30 degrees up it's boy, and if 10 or less girl. Mine was actually just under 20 degrees and was subsequently told girl!

http://www.medecine-foetale.com/index.php?rq=morzine2007presentation_videoitem&id=22
here's a french link which I found on MN not long ago, and there are websites where people post their confirmed 'nub shots'

gets a bit addictive grin

sockmonster Sun 09-Aug-09 22:34:09

what I meant to say was over 10 degrees up from angle of straight spine and under 30 could be either, but if it looks quite flat it's a girl.

Never heard of a turtle, but the 3 whitye lines is well-known to be the indicator for a girl.

ReneRusso Sun 09-Aug-09 22:49:04

What's the nub?

sockmonster Mon 10-Aug-09 05:08:07

a nub is, I think, a genital tubercle (sp?) basically it looks like boy bits sticking out but girls have it as well, until around 3 months gestation. It either shrinks back on a girl to form a clitoris or stays put on a boy!

deo357 Mon 10-Aug-09 20:31:01

i was told she was without a doubt a girl at 12 weeks. and....it was a boy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now