Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant Ladies - will you be having the swine flu vaccine?

(44 Posts)
waitingwaiting Sun 09-Aug-09 16:09:03

Hi,

I'm currently 21 weeks pregnant and must admit that the swine flu is worrying me somewhat silly, particularly as the baby is due in December when things are predicted to get a lot worse. I'm undecided about taking the swine flu vaccine as I hear that it may not be 100% safe..... but then worry that if I didnt have it and caught swine flu, it would put me and baby at risk.

would be interested to hear your thoughts on this, if you are pregnant, will you be having the vaccine? Are you worrying yourselves silly about the winter months like me?????!

xx

waitingwaiting Sun 09-Aug-09 16:10:00

Ooops... just realised that there is a separate swine flu thread, so I'll post the message there as well.

Weegle Sun 09-Aug-09 16:15:28

I'm still undecided although swaying towards yes, having it.

I'm pregnant with twins, so although only 16.5 wks they expect to deliver them around xmas, so also at the peak of the anticipated bad bit...

I also have underlying health problems - and know what flu does to me at the best of times. So I think - all things considered it's probably more sensible to go with the small risk of the vaccine based on the assumption that every yesr I have the flu jab and don't worry that it hasn't been tested.

But it's a hard one...

I'm actually just hoping to avoid the issue altogether by burying my head in the sand - but that's probably unrealistic!

mosschops30 Sun 09-Aug-09 16:20:42

Yes I'll be having anything, including Tamiflu if I need it.
IMHO if Im dead, then baby is too, best we both survive

xxxleeleexxx Sun 09-Aug-09 16:37:34

nobody has told me anything about the swine flu vaccine! i think i may be immune to it anyway, a few people close to me have already had it and im still good!!

34 wks

mogend77 Sun 09-Aug-09 17:52:38

Interesting prog on Radio 4 - you can listen again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lvlv1

Not that it has helped me make my mind up! But it's interesting all the same.

lucky1979 Sun 09-Aug-09 19:39:03

I don't think I will - the odds of having complications with swine flu are so low, even for pregnant women, that I would prefer to take my chances. I'm due 13th November but am having an c-section end of October (at the latest) so doubt that the vaccine will be properly cleared by then anyway.

If things changed though I'm open to being convinced!

alittleteapot Sun 09-Aug-09 19:41:24

I wonder if they'll be a test to see if you're already immune...

mogend77 Mon 10-Aug-09 09:20:05

alittleteapot

I have been wondering about that. When I had probably swine flu we looked into testing as I wanted to know either way but the only testing advertised was swobs which have to be done really quickly & before starting anti-virals. But surely it must be possible to do a blood test & check for antibodies as it is with other viruses? I would have thought they ought to be checking rather than vaccinating unnecessarily, but I have heard absolutely nothing about this.

decaffeinated Mon 10-Aug-09 10:03:03

It's something I've been pondering, and worrying about too...

At 9 weeks pg, I definitely feel worried by the thought of what the effects an untested vaccine might have on my unborn baby.

At this point I don't think I would have it, but if the bug becomes killer and the risk of damage from the bug itself is greater than the risk of the vaccine, then I would probably change my mind.

rebeccacad Mon 10-Aug-09 13:26:29

Hi there

My Dad's a doctor and he rang me especially to say I shouldn't get the vaccine. He said there have been problems with flu vaccines before, even after rigorous testing and until hundreds of thousands of people have had it they can't be 100%. He also said they are rushing this one through which worries him.

I'm sure it's most likely fine but that was enough for me not to have it! He said the best thing was to have good hygiene be vigilant about symptoms and if you think you have anything report it straight away and get Relenza.

Hope this helps!

HollyBunda Mon 10-Aug-09 13:43:32

I'm 33 weeks and due in September.
I won't be having it, nor will my children.
I wouldn't take tamiflu either.

bubblesincambridge Mon 10-Aug-09 13:51:30

I'm 18 weeks. I'll be having it and just keeping my fingers crossed.

newarrival Mon 10-Aug-09 17:05:45

Hi waiting waiting... I'm 23 weeks and due in December. Am worried about the winter months too but I don't think that I would have the vaccine. I think its a case of being really careful with hygiene... I'll probably be locking myself in from Nov !!! & not being in contact with anyone! (joking of course)

MaLopez Mon 10-Aug-09 17:08:36

@ newarrival. Same as me but I am not joking. Will be indoors with disinfectant at the door for the great unwashed. A novel way to keep unwanted guests and inlaws away

mrswee Mon 10-Aug-09 18:02:08

I have thought about this a lot, I am pregnant, some what over weight and have asthma, my asthma has been a lot worse since I being pregnant too. So I am in 3 high risk catorogies!

However I am worried about the vaccine firstly as they suspend these type vaccines in mercury to preserve them. Mercury exposure is thought to be a factor in Autisum and a known problem for neurological development problems. I have already had a filling removed while pregnant (replaced with a non mercury one) so I don't wish to have anymore mercury exposure!

Then there is the whole thing about the untested side of the vaccine too.

the thing is I have been told in the past by my doctor that they don't recommend the flu vaccine to pregnant women or women who think might be pregnant, but now they are talking about being happy to do so.

I am still dubious about having the vaccine after I have given birth but obviously worried about how bad the flu might get during the winter and having a newborn exposed to the flu!

arrgh!!

My baby is due at the end of September so it may not even become an issue for me to decide as I may not be offered it by then.
I did take the seasonal flu jab last winter for the first time so I am not totally against these things.

ReneRusso Mon 10-Aug-09 18:16:41

I'm only 6 weeks pregnant so not due til April. I would have to hear a very good argument for having the vaccine. I would rather take my chances with swine flu than an untested vaccine. Who is to know what effect it could have on an unborn child?

lazylion Mon 10-Aug-09 20:35:29

No chance. I had suspected swine flu when I was about 27 weeks pregnant. The cough was bad but survivable (obviously), DH who has asthma had it, and two DS aged 2 and 4 had it. My 4 year old was quite ill, but mostly because he wouldn't eat. None of this was anywhere near bad enough to use less than fully tested drugs or vaccines for. Interesting to hear what your doctor dad said rebeccacad. I teach history of science and I know too much about past mistakes to trust any drugs in pregnancy.

katendmom Mon 10-Aug-09 20:54:10

No way I will have the vaccine or let this stuff to be injected into my 3.5 year old or newborn. There are mega money involved here for pharm companies who get to the market first with their product. God only knows what safety corners they're cutting. It is definitely a very personal choice but if you're taking a poll - my family of soon to be four is a "no" smile

mrswee Mon 10-Aug-09 21:57:11

Also meant to say that when I visited my midwife last week, she said that a couple of the ladies she looks after have had swine flu already and were totally fine.
Both in fact said they had had much worse seasonal flu in the past.

Of course it may mutate and become a worse type of flu, but no one knows for sure what will happen with it!

waitingwaiting Thu 13-Aug-09 15:39:33

thanks so much all you pregnant mummy's for expressing your views. It doesnt sound as if the flu vaccine is much in favour out there... its made me think twice about having it now. Good luck with all your pregnancies and lets hope we all stay 'swine flu' free!!

mrswee Thu 13-Aug-09 17:21:41

I see the bbc have an article today saying the vaccine will be offered to pregnant women after October

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8199629.stm

It looks like I will not have to decide then as I am due at the very end of September. I'm quite glad I don't have to decide as I would be swaying heavly toward not having the vacccine but then would feel guilty if anything happened... unless I was dead of course! hmm

TXB Thu 13-Aug-09 19:18:59

Thanks Waitingwaiting - I got your message on the other thread ;-)

I've decided that I will not have the vaccine as I don't fancy the idea of being a human guinea pig. There is just not enough information and we have no idea of the longer term effects. I wouldn't want to chance the vaccine if swine flu is only mediocre or we can avoid catching it by simply increasing hygiene.

Like a couple of other ladies on here, I plan to quarantine myself for the winter months and therefore lower my risk of catching it.

PS - interesting what Rebeccacad's dad said.

jujubean Thu 13-Aug-09 19:38:30

Ladies a few things to think about, my mum works on immunisations for the NHS (and is a nurse practicioner with 35 years experience) and she thinks I should have it, I'm 29wks.
1. Take out the 'swine' and this is just another strain of flu. They have been vaccinating pg women for flu for years.
2. Because it is just another strain of flu this enables them to test the vaccine more quickly, if it was some new weird virus that had just arisen it wouldn't be able to be tested so quickly.
3. If you are immunised the anti-bodies will go to your unborn child and protect them too. Under 1's will not be vaccinated, a newborn would really suffer if they got swine flu.
4. The NHS have put us in the priority list because the medics think it would be better if we didn't get swine flu, we have a weakened immune system and could get complications. Believe me, vaccinating pg women will cost the NHS shedloads so they obviously believe it to be neccessary.

Gangle Fri 14-Aug-09 10:46:54

I'm 8 weeks and absolutely no way will I have the vaccine or let DS 17 months have it. No idea what's in it and it's completely untested on humans. Would rather take my chances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now