Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it safe to eat sliced packaged ham from Tesco/Sainburys??

(9 Posts)
kelsbelz Sun 09-Aug-09 14:48:42

Hi,
Just wondering if it is safe to eat sliced packaged ham from Tesco/Sainburys?
As I'm not so sure on this one

mosschops30 Sun 09-Aug-09 14:49:32

Why would it not be?? Of course you can eat packaged ham

kelsbelz Sun 09-Aug-09 14:51:19

I just thought for some reason it would be unsafe, thanks for your advice

Ladyem Sun 09-Aug-09 16:46:54

Of course! I was just told to avoid cured meats like Parma ham as it's not actually cooked - apparently!

I think midwives worry us pg women too much these days! Eat up and enjoy!

BottySpottom Sun 09-Aug-09 22:09:49

I think the advice is not to eat things like packaged salads, but I think ham is OK if not parma ham etc. Don't eat anything that's been hanging around out of the fridge etc.

Tangle Sun 09-Aug-09 23:11:58

The advice in some areas/countries to not eat deli meat (unless thoroughly reheated) is becuase listeria has been found in cooked sliced meats (see here). The belief is that the product is recontaminated between cooking and packaging.

That said, the same site's advice for pregnant women doesn't suggest avoiding ham or similar, so I'm figuring the risk is probably pretty small, so it depends how paranoid you want to be...

Sorry that's a bit ambiguous, but the advice doesn't seem to be explicit or consistent on this one

blinder Mon 10-Aug-09 00:03:53

hope so - been doing it for whole 9 months shock!

blinder Mon 10-Aug-09 00:04:13

GAH - packaged salads too!

Longtalljosie Mon 10-Aug-09 08:50:27

I've just been re-washing packaged salads.

On the deli meat thing - me and an also-pregnant schoolfriend who lives in Australia met for lunch a couple of months ago and compared notes on what we could / couldn't eat - you'd imagine we were a completely different species!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now