Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Something other than a moses basket??

(9 Posts)
4thtimelucky Fri 07-Aug-09 09:59:45

Am I the only first time mummy to be in the universe who thinks that moses baskets are really twee and horrible even if they are apparently incredibly useful in those early months. We've been very kindly given a cot so other than a new mattress so don't need to worry about expense there.

Is there something else out there that would work as moses basket that isn't frilly and woven straw and all a little bit girly for my liking(especially as it's a boy bump!)?

Umlellala Fri 07-Aug-09 10:01:20

your bed
the cot you have
an amby hammock (works wonders for some)
a small bedside cot
co-sleeper
carrycot from pram (check it's ok to use this way)

lucymum2four Fri 07-Aug-09 10:06:08

we have the graco petite bassinette.
smaller than avareage travel cot the bassinette comes out so when baby in big cot can use it in sitting room.

we used to putt dd in it whilst doing chores so she could play with toys.
safely..(with out being knocked down by other dc's)

Flower3545 Fri 07-Aug-09 10:10:58

I have something called a "soothing motions glider". Sorry I'm useless at links but you can google it.

It has been a godsend to us and each baby we've tried in it has loved it.

It is bigger than a moses basket so lo's can use them for longer too.

weegiemum Fri 07-Aug-09 10:12:19

All our dcs went straight into the big cot in the corner of our room, except when they were in bed with us.

Worked fine!

WelliesAndPyjamas Fri 07-Aug-09 10:13:39

the amby hammock works for us

JulesJules Fri 07-Aug-09 10:17:00

I also think moses baskets are twee and horrible - and can be dangerous as people think having handles means they are safe to be carried - they aren't. Also the babies grow out of them so quickly. I think you will be fine with the cot and your own bed.

MrsBadger Fri 07-Aug-09 10:22:00

this is the least horrible and most reasonably-priced one we saw (and we looked eveyrwhere) - you can take the hood off really easily which makes it look much less twee

I didn;t like the idea either but they are damn handy for (eg) sleeping in the living room while you watch tv, putting in the bathroom while you shower

moaningminniewhingesagain Fri 07-Aug-09 11:05:34

I never had one for DD, we had a carrycot for pram that is suitable for overnight sleeping. Not that she slept really, for a yearsad

We were given one for DS, from SIL and it has been really handy - he can kip in the living room in an evening then go in cot when I go to bed. And when we went away we took just the bed part with us, much easier than fannying around with travel cot.

But I wouldn't have bought one, think they are a bit twee and icky really. We had to retire it because although he still fits in it lengthwise, A)he rolls over and turns the basket over with him (we don't use the stand, just put basket on floor, due to climbing/nosy DD) and B) the dog has taken to climbing in it whenever she can!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now