Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Horrendous insomnia

(10 Posts)
Daisy134 Fri 07-Aug-09 09:19:24

Hi. I'm in my second trimester now and haven't slept through the night for at least a fortnight. I'm still working and feeling like death warmed up every day. Threw a fit this morning with other half because I couldn't find anything to wear!
Has anyone got any tips for coping with this? I'm so worried now that I'll not cope well with insomnia when the baby comes. I suppose I can sleep when she sleeps? Help!!!!

Longtalljosie Fri 07-Aug-09 09:22:07

Oh bless you, I'm sorry it's started so early. I've had it throughout my third trimester. Perhaps book yourself a week's leave so you can catch up with some sleep? You've got a long way to go before giving up work, it might not be a bad idea...

mogend77 Fri 07-Aug-09 09:30:22

I am a permanent insomniac so pregnancy just makes it worse. It's hideous.

BUT just to reassure you coping with newborn wakings is much much easier than coping with pregnancy insomnia. You have something (a very cute something) to wake up for - plus if you are bf then the hormones really help you get back to sleep.

In the meantime, depennding on what's keeping you awake, you could consider:

a walk in the evening
a bath with lavender oil
camomile tea (and supper - hunger a big cause of pregnant nightwaking for me)
pregnancy yoga in the evenings
darker curtains/a sleep mask/ear plugs
a few drops of lavender oil on your pillow
a massage (particularly your lower legs)
writing down your anxieties and putting them to bed before sleeping
crossing items off a to do list
rescue remedy if you're having nighttime panics/bad dreams

HTH.

Daisy134 Fri 07-Aug-09 10:03:42

Thanks so much for your messages and advice. Will definitely try them. Also good to know about coping with insomnia and newborns... my temper doesn't often flare up but it's there and it's something I like to feel in control of.
I just don't want things to fall apart when we should be going through such an amazing time when the baby arrives... Can't you just tell it's our first?!
How are you ladies doing?

WelliesAndPyjamas Fri 07-Aug-09 10:07:38

I was the same when preg with ds2. It was horrible. Not much helped me, I'm afraid, but it all went back to normal once he was born. Insomnia is truly horrible. I sympathise.

WelliesAndPyjamas Fri 07-Aug-09 10:08:55

ps sorry for the miserable post blush
I guess my point is that it's normal and it DOES get better in the end!

lazylion Fri 07-Aug-09 10:41:57

I have terrible insomnia too Daisy, it must be very diificult going to work feeling like that. I agree with mogend, newborn night waking is actually lovely when you are bf and I don't have the best of tempers either. Breastfeeding hormones are great and help you get back to sleep easily in my experience - plus you won't have to go to work.
For the pregnancy insomnia I find doing something nice for yourself when you can't sleep (cake, bath, good book etc) is better for your mood than lying there feeling frustrated. Hope it gets better.

mogend77 Fri 07-Aug-09 10:44:32

You'll be fine. I am pretty miserable with insomnia at the mo tbh, but I finally had a marginally better night last ngiht (only 4 wee trips!) thanks to doing pregnancy yoga dvd.

But this time I know from experience that having a newborn is easier than being pregnant, so I at least don't have that fear this time added to it.

Don't worry really - it's amazing how utterly bewitching newborns are & what with all the hormones too you will be fine. It's amazing how hard it is to get cross with them & the things you are are prepared to do for them (pretty much anything!). Evolution has worked this out pretty well. And then when they are few weeks old & start smiling, so you turn the light on for a night feed & are greeted with a newborn smile - OMG - there are few things in life more worth waking up for than that!

Daisy134 Fri 07-Aug-09 10:55:19

Thanks so much, everyone. Lovely to hear about how newborns and night waking can actually be a positive experience. Hope you both feel better soon, Lazylion and mogend77

chubbychipmonk Fri 07-Aug-09 10:57:35

Im 20 weeks and from about 12 weeks onwards have slept in the spare room!! . . .already!!

My partner just being in the bed next to me irritates me! Im hot, bothered, cant get comfy and toss and turn non stop!! . . irritated even more by him lying next to me snoring!!

If you have SKY TV there is a channel called the Fitness channel (does mum to be yoga!) and most nights at 10pm it has a deep relaxation programme on for half an hour, I do it in my pjs and go to bed straight after . . its great! Deep breathing and muscle relaxation, really helps you wind down before bed!

Hot milk helps too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now