Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Booked for ERPC tomorrow - anaesthetic options (spelling?)

(8 Posts)
BayeauxT Thu 06-Aug-09 16:22:52

Hi, don't know if this is the right place to post but can't find a miscarriage "section" - found out today at 12 week scan that I had missed miscarriage at 6 weeks. I have gone for ERPC but consultant said I can have various options re anaesthetic - general, local or epidural. General freaks me out just a little bit (although I have been under before); local - he didn't seem to think I could cope as i told him how I nearly passed out when having mirena coil removed; and epidural - how long does it take to wear off? (I just want it done and to get out the hospital asap - not be bedridden for hours in a maternity ward!) I should have asked him and can ask tomorrow when I get in, but thought I might gather some opinion from MNetters in the meantime! (And if you have been in this situation before, sorry - it really sucks!)

Ciara11 Thu 06-Aug-09 16:41:14

Hi ya
When i had an erpc in January, i went for the general option, cause from talking to the consultant it seemed the best option. Also it seemed the quickest to recover from (as long as no side effects) i was home 3 hours after i came round.
perfectly honest, i didnt like the idea of the epidural ie being able to see what was going on etc
Sorry to hear about your mmc

Ninjacat Thu 06-Aug-09 16:41:21

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/miscarriage
Sorry I cant be much help but try posting on the above link, you'll find lots of help there I'm sure.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Take care of yourself.

Habbibu Thu 06-Aug-09 16:46:34

I had 2 last year (molar pregnancy, so a bit complicated). Both under GA, and absolutely fine - you're under for a really short time, so I had no side effects other than feeling tired. Was home quite soon, like Ciara, after some tea, soup and sandwiches! The anticipation was far worse than the reality for me - was positively chilled for the second one...

I'm so sorry for your loss - it's a horrible thing to happen.

BayeauxT Thu 06-Aug-09 16:54:17

Thanks for the link Ninjacat - I think my brain must be a bit addled as I just couldn't find that section although I was sure there must be one!

Good point Ciara - I don't think I would like to know what they're doing at the time either!

Thanks

BayeauxT Thu 06-Aug-09 16:57:22

Aaah, it's under the Body & Soul section... hmm, yes...

Twig79 Thu 06-Aug-09 18:24:56

bayeauxT, I had a ERPC last week - go for the general option, it takes a few days to get over, but you are out cold and have a great sleep after it for a few nights which will help you with the greiving. as you'll need to recover from the anesthestic for a week, it means you have time to look after yourself for a week and reflect. best wishes.

pinkypanther Thu 06-Aug-09 18:29:38

Just to second what everyone else has said really - I had an ERPC in February after my MMC and I was given no choice, just told it would be under GA. I was terrified of having it done but it was actually fine and I was very glad in retrospect that I did have the GA, it was all over and done with very quickly and I was home in a few hours.

Very sorry about your MMC by the way - it is rubbish isn't it sad Hope you recover quickly, time definitely does help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now