Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Iron tablets

(20 Posts)
mummynumnum Wed 05-Aug-09 19:29:29

Have been told by consultant to take iron tablets. Have now been on them three days and this has coincided with sickness at 13 wks and headaches. Could this be the iron tablets causing it?

Mumcentreplus Wed 05-Aug-09 19:54:35

sometimes Iron Tablets can be very hard for the body to absorb..I used to get sickness and headaches could'nt keep them down towards the end of my first pregnancy I had to have injections!..I found Spatone in my local health food shop..very easy to take and absorbed well by the body Here hope this helps

MrsSnow Wed 05-Aug-09 19:57:08

Hi there
I've been on prescribed iron tablets prior to pregnancy and now in pregnancy. I haven't had any side effects from the iron tablets other than constipation.

This time my iron tablets came in a bottle so no leaflet with them re side effects, you could go back to the pharmacist to ask about other side effects.

mummynumnum Wed 05-Aug-09 20:06:43

Read through poss side effects and appears nausea is one. Great as don't feel tired anymore but nausea is vile.

lambanana Wed 05-Aug-09 20:06:57

see this thread

mummynumnum Wed 05-Aug-09 20:21:14

Really good thread thanks. My hb was10.5. Not sure what that means.

MustHaveaVeryShortMemory Wed 05-Aug-09 22:45:57

If you tell your GP or consultant that they aren't agreeing with you they will be able to try different kinds of iron supplements that may be more gentle.

Or try the spatone/floridax.

mummynumnum Thu 06-Aug-09 06:45:45

Dreading taking it this morning!

niamh29 Thu 06-Aug-09 08:16:12

I can't take iron tablets in the morning as I will be sick for hours afterwards so I always either take them with my dinner or before bed and I don't get any sickness then, they are supposed to be more effective on an empty stomach but for me anyway it's just not worth it!

JumpingJellyfish Thu 06-Aug-09 09:58:21

You can get spatone on prescription if you say that iron tablets are not agreeing with you (e.g. due to constipation/nausea). You need to take 2 sachets a day while pregnant, and it's quite expensive if you don't get it on prescription. I really can't tolerate tablets but always need iron supplements when pregnant as get anaemic easily- my GP has been more than happy to prescribe spatone instead of tablets

It is very important you take iron if you need it, as anaemia can affect the baby's growth as well as your own health if severe enough

mummynumnum Thu 06-Aug-09 20:58:09

Been horribly sick this afternoon, so def will talk to the doc tomorrow. Will have my 2nd one just before bedtime.

mummynumnum Fri 07-Aug-09 06:41:22

Would it be naughty to forgo my tablet this morning and just have the one thie evening!

3littlefrogs Fri 07-Aug-09 07:01:54

Some people react very badly to iron. I can't take it at all, and suffered very bad anaemia while pregnant.

I was able to boost my Hb by eating iron rich foods, giving up tea and coffee, and taking extra vitamin C, so that I could absorb as much as possible from my diet. I managed to get my Hb up from 8 to 10.5, and therefore avoided a blood transfusion. My consultant was very supportive - (I reacted so badly to the iron I nearly went into prem labour).

So - go back to the doc. for further advice. You might be one of those people who just can't take it.

mummynumnum Fri 07-Aug-09 07:04:03

Yes tea, coffee out from now on. HB is 10.5 so not s low as yours thankfully. Will maybe just take the evening one till see doc. Some has to be better than none.

difficultdecision Fri 07-Aug-09 11:44:34

mummynumnum - chat to your GP but I usually tell people to start with two a day, if it makes you feels sick, constipated or griping in your stomach reduce to one daily and then see if you can increase slowly to twice daily over a few weeks.

a few people do fine on twice daily and I tell them to try three times a day.

one daily is better than nothing

Jumping Jellyfish - where abouts are you? I can't find spatone in the BNF (all prescribable products in england are in there) and did your doctor prescribe it by name or by another name (I can't find it at all and would be interested to see if could be prescribed even though I expect our PCT won't allow it as it is extremely expensive and from the product literature you would need between 4.5 - 9 sachets a day to get the same amount of iron as three iron tablets).

mummynumnum Fri 07-Aug-09 11:51:52

I have an appt with GP on Wed so will stick to one till then, as you said one better than nothing. I had pain in chest and back (heartburn type)yesterday and only relieved by being sick and have felt alot better for not taking one in morn today and will take one tonight.

difficultdecision Fri 07-Aug-09 11:53:32

Glad you are feeling a little better.

Definately don't take on an empty stomach. the best way to take is mid-way through lunch washed down with orange juice and then if you feel up to it you can try the same with dinner - if not then don't worry

morocco Fri 07-Aug-09 11:59:13

is 10.5 very low in pregnancy? can't remember any more. was it the other figures as well they were worried about? did they recommend diet changes first and see if it made any difference? seem to remember mine were around that level but went up once I started eating steaks/apricots/iron rich food in general (bit vague here)

difficultdecision Fri 07-Aug-09 12:35:47

10.5 isn't particularly low in itself but at 13 weeks you would expect it naturally to fall lower during the course of pregnancy so the idea behind the iron is so replenish the iron reserves and enable the body to make more blood. Diet changes can help but it depends on the full story as to what is best for an individual person.

mummynumnum Fri 07-Aug-09 21:36:16

I have been v good and had my one tablet today. Hopefully GP will change type so I can have my needed 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now