Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When is it too early to buy baby bits?

(8 Posts)
Thandeka Tue 04-Aug-09 20:06:51

Having a dilemma. Am almost 14 weeks pregnant with what will hopefully be my firstborn. Scans show all is developing normally this time. (Last pregnancy ended in MMC at 10 weeks but that emby was 4mm and this foetus is 7cm and still growing) I know my MC risk is massively reduced now and this pregnancy just feels better/different (the copious vomiting has been a clue!)

So anyhow there is a cot I really want on ebay and it has no bids on and it is £30 and it ends in an hour. Is a 40min drive away.

Hmmm DH will kill me but I plan on hiding it behind the sofa!

But is it too early? tempting fate- bad idea.

I kind of figure even if this one doesn't work out (and touch wood all is fine) then eventually I am going to get pregnant and have a baby so its not the end of the world if there is a cot hidden behind the sofa for a while!

niamh29 Tue 04-Aug-09 20:10:38

Go for it, a deal is a deal! And it might make the pregnancy more real for you! It's not tempting fate, what will be will be!!

Toppy Tue 04-Aug-09 20:12:16

Go for it. Lots of people worry about tempting fate but quite frankly if everything did not go according to plan a cot hidden in the corner of the house would be the least of your concerns. Well that was my thinking when I went on a baby spending binge on a business trip to NY at 14 weeks !

Thandeka Tue 04-Aug-09 21:41:07

I won it for £36. Is mothercare bedside cot normally £200 - will obviously buy new matress for it and freecycle the old one. Yay!

Will have to cart it in and hide it behind sofa without DH finding out which possibly isnt wise in my condition!

Ah well.

Deemented Tue 04-Aug-09 21:44:22

I have to ask - how the hell do you hide a cot behind a sofa and not expect anyone to notice??? grin

Toppy Tue 04-Aug-09 21:50:31

Well done !
(I have had a mothercare swinging crib hidden in my attic room behind some pillows and duvets since 7 weeks with this pregnancy - £20 off ebay. Well, I had to didn't I. It was a bargain wink)

frasersmummy Tue 04-Aug-09 21:56:26

Thandeka ..things can go wrong right up to and inc the time of the birth and you really cant wait till you and dc are home and well before thinking about where they will sleep grin

so you might as well get a bargain while you can

congrats and good luck with the pregnancy

Thandeka Tue 04-Aug-09 21:58:34

Bargain indeed!

Our sofas are in our attic living room so the sofa has about a metre behind it free (eave space as if sofa was that for back no one could sit on it) currently behind the sofa is full of giant cushions and crap so I think I can easily hide the cot in there and not get caught out. (oh its flat pack at min too a built crib would be much harder!)

Then again I have a compulsive honesty with DH and can never keep a secret so I will probably tell him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now