Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Exercise with SPD/PGD - is it possible???

(11 Posts)
Squarah Tue 04-Aug-09 13:07:58

I got this at 20 weeks with my DS and it has now started at 12 weeks with my current pregnancy and I'm feeling fed up and claustrophobic about the idea of not really getting decent exercise till next year. Last pregnancy the general advice was that walking wasn't great and that breaststroke was a total no-no. I did do, and am planning to do again, pilates which I managed until close to the end. But I'd really like to be able to get some aerobic exercise to help me feel healthy.

Any ideas or tips? I know I'm lucky in that it didn't hit me too hard and resolved entirely afterwards so muchos sympathy to the ladies who have it much worse.

Thanks in advance!

notjustapuppymum Tue 04-Aug-09 15:51:58

I've had SPD since 20 weeks but with two young dogs to walk, not walking was not an option. I went to an osteopath and continued short walks, then walked for 3 hours this weekend and this week am TOTALLY pain free...I kid you not, not even a twinge. It's as if I've 'walked it off'...

Squarah Wed 05-Aug-09 18:44:54

Bump

ReneRusso Wed 05-Aug-09 21:01:26

Notjustapuppymum, do you think the osteopath helped?

CarGirl Wed 05-Aug-09 21:03:28

I went to the osteopath and was able to chuck away my crutches.

However the key to managing spd is not aggrevating it in the first place, so no I wouldn't be recommending to exercise IMO

StayFrosty Wed 05-Aug-09 21:07:31

Another vote for osteopathy for relieving the pain, but no idea re exercise, sorry.

footstep Wed 05-Aug-09 21:30:31

Have you considered cycling?

I found that walking really aggravated my SPD, but cycling was fine. I think because the movement in the hip/pelvis is very limited. I cycled right up to 40 weeks, even during times when I needed crutches to walk. Getting on/off the bike was the most difficult bit!

I found the advice in this book really helpful. My SPD was much less severe in this pregnancy that in my first, and I think that having followed the advice in this book was the reason why.

The author is a dutch physio, so it includes info on how to cycle with SPD.

Good luck!

Tamlin Thu 06-Aug-09 09:21:44

I think cycling aggravated mine last time around, but I was doing several miles up and down a bumpy towpath to work... My physio has advised against it this time. Walking is definitely out - if I do more than twenty minutes, I pay for it in the evening.

I feel your pain - I'm not the hugest fan of swimming, especially when I can't use my legs, and my local pool is always packed so I'm worried about somebody kicking the bump. Pre-pregnancies, I used to be fairly athletic (was a rower) so sitting around and getting fatter and fatter is not my idea of fun.

notjustapuppymum Thu 06-Aug-09 14:26:50

ReneRusso - yes definitely! I had always used a McTimoney Chiropractor in the past but he was away on holiday when it struck, so I went to a reputable Osteopath as had heard good things about him. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Even though I'm 'cured' now I'm still going to go and see him once every 4 weeks because it's just amazing. I was so relieved because when I realised what I had, I was in tears envisaging myself on crutches etc.
He said he's had people in on crutches before and had them walking out the door an hour later. He can't always cure it, but he can always improve it and if caught early enough stop it getting any worse.

Squarah Thu 06-Aug-09 18:29:51

Thanks so much everyone. I actually went for a fairly strenuous walk today plus pram and am not suffering really - I suspect it's just early days 'though. That book looks really interesting - might have to get it.

As for cycling, I think it is a great idea but I don't have a bike! I know it could be remedied but think it's a bit of a gamble. Maybe I could try on freecycle...

I did use an chiropracter last time but do feel nervous about having adjustments on my already lax ligaments. Generally I've found both chiros and osteos fab for my lower back pain over the years so am a big fan.

herbietea Thu 06-Aug-09 18:56:23

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now