Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Embarassing/stupid question about waters breaking...

(29 Posts)
rowrowrowyourboat Mon 03-Aug-09 07:43:38

Hi am currently 38+4 and I Think my waters have broken/started to leek, had a couple of incidents during the night, bit like wetting myself but don't feel like I'm desperate for the loo and doesn't smell like wee (sorry if tmi). Is this my waters or has my bladder final given up the ghost? No noticeable contraction at the moment, I tried calling the midwife but her phone is off.

Thanks for any help.

Deemented Mon 03-Aug-09 07:44:45

I would say that it sounds like your waters to me. Keep trying the midwife - and good luck!

LoveBeingAMummy Mon 03-Aug-09 07:45:57

Firstly if you haven't already put a pad on and it will hopefully help you to tell the difference. For me the sensation was very differene to having wee.

Her phone will be on soon so keep trying.

MmeLindt Mon 03-Aug-09 07:46:08

Sounds like your baby is on it's way out into the world.

Good luck and keep us nosy bints posted!

hairymelons Mon 03-Aug-09 07:55:44

Aw! That's how my waters went- the midwife said I'd wet myself but I knew it wasn't wee! Turned out I was right anyway...
Yes, please do keep us posted!
Best of luck

rowrowrowyourboat Mon 03-Aug-09 10:30:59

Thanks for your replies, sorry I didn't get back sooner but had to deal with DD (who is Not a Happy Bunny this morning). Finally got hold of the assement midwife at the hospital who just said use a panty liner and see how it goes. So just waiting around now.
Does anyone know how long it's ok have your water leaking and not going into labour?

hairymelons Mon 03-Aug-09 14:36:30

Think they currently say about 24 hours to avoid possible complications due to infections etc. I think it's still up to you whether or not you go in though.
Exciting stuff!

rowrowrowyourboat Mon 03-Aug-09 15:19:40

Thanks
Wish I had something to report but it's all quiet at the moment a part from feeling restless and fed-up, are they labour signs or just impatience signs? wink

MmeLindt Mon 03-Aug-09 15:33:52

I was induced after 24 hours so if I were you I would try all the tricks to get things going. Stair climbing, nipple twiddling...

Not at the same time, particularly if you live in a flat

LeninGrad Mon 03-Aug-09 15:34:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeninGrad Mon 03-Aug-09 15:36:30

rowrowrowyourboat Mon 03-Aug-09 16:14:53

Well I hope that I do soon it's driving me mad now. Any suggestion to get things going? Does it have to be fresh pineapple? And will Thai curry work?smile

LeninGrad Mon 03-Aug-09 17:14:16

MmeLindt Mon 03-Aug-09 21:07:12

Anything doing? Have you eaten a whole pineapple yet?

liahgen Mon 03-Aug-09 21:11:47

you'd have to eat about 9 fresh whole pineapples for the enzymes to be enough to have any kind of effect, so unless you love them and have plenty, don't worry.

Nipple stim is prob the best bet at this stage tbh, you can't have sex cos of waters but orgasm could release some oxytocin, (feel good hormones)

Also a real laugh out loud show/film, again oxytocin release

24 hrs + is usually average but all hospitals differ and you can ask for expectant management, Ie be monitored, take your temp etc to wait for labour.

Goo dluck, keep us informed

mrsjammi Mon 03-Aug-09 21:15:08

Message withdrawn

mumof2222222222222222boys Mon 03-Aug-09 21:19:30

With DS1 I was being very sick in the kitchen sink...and thought I'd wet myself, but wasn't entirely sure (labour had been on and off for about a week and I was out of it)...it was the waters and he arrived about 12 hours later.

DS2 I was in hospital and the MW eventually suggested breaking the membrane as it hadn't gone...he arrived 8 mins later!

Good luck!

liahgen Mon 03-Aug-09 21:22:30

pop a pad on, movement will mostly make little gushes, as will ctx, coughing, sneezing etc

Waters should be clear, straw coloured or pinky sometimes with streaks of blood. Will smell sweet, straw like also

wee..smells like.. Well wee.

rowrowrowyourboat Tue 04-Aug-09 00:06:15

Thanks for the messages, couldn't get a ripe pineapple so just the curry wink. I've made it to backache and cramp type pains but they don't feel like full contractions yet. I just hope I can get some sleep as I'm tired now, I had a broken night last night and couldn't really rest today.

LeninGrad Tue 04-Aug-09 00:28:37

MmeLindt Tue 04-Aug-09 06:42:27

Did you get some rest? How are things this morning?

Portofino Tue 04-Aug-09 08:05:53

Checking in to see if there is a baby yet....

rowrowrowyourboat Tue 04-Aug-09 22:06:22

DD2 arrived at 03:13 this morning (after not much rest) weighing 6lb 11oz. Nearly delivered in the hospital waiting room! Deluged midwives wondering about a full moon. DD1 seemed quite impressed at being big sister. Thanks for your support.

MmeLindt Tue 04-Aug-09 22:08:41

Oh, my goodness, that was fast! Congratulations and well done.

My DD was born on a full moon night, the labour ward was full to bursting.

33k Tue 04-Aug-09 22:09:17

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now