Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

'Low ' full blood count results in pregnancy

(14 Posts)
somanyboyssolittletime Sun 02-Aug-09 15:22:23

I am coming up to 13 weeks pregnant and have just had the results back from the first blood tests - the full blood count is low and I have been asked to go back in 2 weeks to have it checked. I am assuming it is not just anaemia as they would have given me iron tablets. This is my fourth baby. Anybody had the same? Obviously am now in total panic mode! Thanks.

HeadFairy Sun 02-Aug-09 15:25:04

What do you mean low? Did they say which part of your bloods were measuring on the low side?

somanyboyssolittletime Sun 02-Aug-09 15:27:11

No - have only spoken to the receptionist so far, so not too clear whether it is red/white/platelets?

nellie12 Sun 02-Aug-09 15:27:38

it probably is anaemia. They may just want to check the result is correct as sometimes you can have a contaminated result or hb can vary day to day (I think). They dont expect hb to be low at first bloods but this is your 4th so your hb probably hasn't recovered from previous pregnancies. Apparently they don't like giving iron in the first trimester anymore but if you are still worried then make an appointment with mw or gp for a chat.

somanyboyssolittletime Sun 02-Aug-09 15:31:14

Thanks nellie - that has made me feel better already!

Northernlurker Sun 02-Aug-09 15:38:10

I would try and get hold of your midwife tomorrow to ask for more info. Sounds like it probably is the hb level but there's no reason at all why you can't know exactly what's going on! How do you feel - and how did you feel before you got pregnant?

HeadFairy Sun 02-Aug-09 15:39:29

I don't think receptionists should give out test results, it's really worrying when they don't give you the full picture. I hope everything's ok.

somanyboyssolittletime Sun 02-Aug-09 15:40:13

I feel ok - pretty shattered the whole time, but started to feel better last week. Before I was pregnant, I felt normal (i.e. fairly knackered running around after 3 boys!)

somanyboyssolittletime Sun 02-Aug-09 15:42:14

Thanks HF - she was reassuring, but I agree - would rather hear it from a doctor.

PinkTulips Sun 02-Aug-09 15:42:55

dd had iron tests done as part of allergy investigations once and they told me 'her iron levals are very low but she's not aenaemic' hmm

that was a consultant paed and i never did find out what the hell he was on about!

HeadFairy Sun 02-Aug-09 15:43:58

Wow, pg with three boys to run around after.. no wonder you feel tired!

Take it easy, I hope the doc gives you some further reassurance.

Northernlurker Sun 02-Aug-09 15:45:22

That sounds ok then - just try and take it easy now!

difficultdecision Sun 02-Aug-09 17:08:27

Don't worry it will almost certainly be the haemoglobin (hb/red blood cells). It is only anaemia if the fall below a certain level but it can still be 'a bit on the low side' without falling below that. We would usually recheck it in a couple of weeks and often with a ferritin (iron level) aswell.

It is much more unusual for white blood cells to be low (although it does happen if you are recovering from viral infection) and is more complicated to explain so the doctor would usually call you about that rather than leaving the message with reception.

PinkTulips.

Iron is one of the things needed to make red blood cells. You can have low iron (ferritin) levels but normal red blood cell levels (so not anaemic). This is why sometimes people need to take iron levels even though their blood count is ok at the moment. Think of it like having enough food for dinner but an empty larder

somanyboyssolittletime Mon 03-Aug-09 08:06:44

Thanks diffdecn - that sounds really reassuring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now