Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Braxton Hicks contractions causing shortness of breath

(10 Posts)
SpawnChorus Sat 01-Aug-09 19:50:10

Does anyone know if this is normal? I'm 34 weeks pg and have noticed that my BH contrax are accompanied by temporary shortness of breath.

MustHaveaVeryShortMemory Sat 01-Aug-09 21:34:03

Yes, I find they take my breath away for a minute.

LionstarBigPants Sat 01-Aug-09 21:38:12

Me too

SpawnChorus Sat 01-Aug-09 21:53:40

Thanks!

memoo Sat 01-Aug-09 23:57:58

I've been exactly the same, I'm 32 weeks and have to breath through some of them they are that strong

SpawnChorus Sun 02-Aug-09 09:48:34

The odd thing is that the breathlessness comes first! i.e. I feel a sort of chest tightness/shortness of breath, and then my abdomen contracts. Actually, I seem to remember a similar sensation just before my milk let down when I was BFing. I wonder if it's an oxytocin surge thing?

naomi79 Sun 02-Aug-09 13:27:49

Hi
Think I am having Braxton Hicks, mine are like period cramps though, quite often get them in bed at night sometimes accompanied by lower back pain and/or a real heaviness in my pelvis...all normal yes???? hmm
I'm 33 weeks pregnant and have been having them for the last 2-3 weeks.
ta

mogend77 Sun 02-Aug-09 17:59:47

So glad you started this thread! (That's a big fat "Me Too"!) I suddenly feel squeezed & as if I had lost my breath. I have to pause what I am doing & breathe slowly. Happens mostly on exertion (though that includes even a rather slight exertion).

Jemima123 Sun 02-Aug-09 19:26:33

Me too! Also low iron at the moment so am feeling wiped out. Haven't thought my bump was that big until this all started though. Hoping they aren't gonna get too much worse and don't mean I'll be early??

mogend77 Mon 03-Aug-09 16:32:59

Jeminima123 - BH should not make baby come early but they can help to make your labour more efficient. Although a PITA, they are basically a good thing, as long as they definitely are BH. But I think you'd know if they weren't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now