Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Birthing ball

(16 Posts)
bettybets Fri 31-Jul-09 21:18:31

Would anyone recomend a birthing ball for labour?

EccentricaGallumbits Fri 31-Jul-09 21:21:17

yes

sazlocks Fri 31-Jul-09 21:26:46

definately - I had a cheapo argos one which I used throughout labour. Some hospitals provide them but I took my own in

HelenofSparta Fri 31-Jul-09 21:26:48

No! Bought two (one too small as am 5"9). I liked bouncing on in the evening when I was still preggers when sofa became too uncomfy in evening, but did not get on with at all during labour. Took mine into hospital and there was also one in each delivery room (check with your hospital) but I just felt unstable/uncomfy and used it for 5 mins and that was it......!

poorbuthappy Fri 31-Jul-09 21:32:15

Yep, had cheapo ones from asda for both pregnancies. 1st pregnancy used it throughout the day of labour...although didn't take it to hospital with me...
2nd pregnancy with twins, it was a godsend towards the end as it was the only place I was comfortable!

crankytwanky Fri 31-Jul-09 22:43:05

Yes siree!

Make sure it's big enough though.

I found them unbelievably comfy during labour. I didn't think they would do as much for me as they did. It wasn't actually till my 2nd labour I twigged it was so good. More relief than entonox imho.

You can pick 'em up for a fiver, so it's worth a go.

Use in the months before as a chair. Does something for your pelvic floor apparently.

I use them at work instead of office chairs. (I do work on a labour ward, so it's often the only seat available!)

I'll stop evangelising now! blush

beautifulgirls Sat 01-Aug-09 09:48:06

Love mine - just got it out for this pregnancy in fact. Mine was very cheap and came from either Aldi or Lidl (I forget)
I have seen them advertised on freecycle now and again so you might like to try your local group and see if anyone has one to pass on before you buy one.

McSnail Sat 01-Aug-09 15:56:47

Just bought one at 38 weeks and I'm loving it. So many ways I can use it - which is good as sitting for any length of time eventually becomes uncomfortable.

wem Sat 01-Aug-09 16:07:05

Yes! I bought this one and bounced on it watching telly in late pregnancy as was uncomfortable on the sofa, then bounced on it during early labour and then spent the rest of labour and gave birth leaning over it!

bettybets Sat 01-Aug-09 17:28:37

Great stuff! Off i go to argos to buy myself one, sitting on the sofa has become far 2 uncomfortable!

asuwere Sat 01-Aug-09 19:02:02

I used a gym ball during all 3 of my past pregnancies and I used it during 2 of my labours - very comfy to sit or lean on!

I have actually just been looking for a new one and found a 'capsule yoga ball' - anyone tried one of these? Was just wondering if they would be a bit more stable while having toddlers wandering about?! Not sure if they'd have the same effect though, comfort wise.

ChocEclair Sun 02-Aug-09 20:05:34

yes -
I used mine (my Mum's yoga/gym ball) as a seat during the last weeks of pregnancy and tried swaying my hips on it to get labour started.

I also had one during labour and it was the only place I was comfy during a cx - I couldn't lie down or sit on bed! The hospital provided this ball, although not sure they all do.

frasersmummy Sun 02-Aug-09 20:09:10

oh yes...our hospital had loads of them.

I wasnt for trying it but once I was talked into it they couldnt prise me off it

sooo comfy.. I want one for my living room grin

Trikken Sun 02-Aug-09 20:19:35

gym balls shouldnt be used as they can burst easily. birthing balls are stronger and designed to take more weight. i think that they have two layers in case the outside one goes so you dont end up on the floor, whereas the cheapo gym balls dont.

SCH Fri 07-Aug-09 21:16:55

I used it for the last 4 hrs of labour whilst leaning my arms on the bed and supping gas and air..bliss!
Wish someone had suggested using the ball for the previous 32 hours!!!

LemonTea Fri 07-Aug-09 21:20:13

Yes - they are great for DP to stick their feet on while they sleep through the 'boring' labour hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now