Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is feta cheese pasteurised?

(8 Posts)
Ninni Fri 31-Jul-09 16:36:13

SO it's OK to eat feta as long as it's pasteurised, however, going through Sainsburys collection, about 7 different kinds, none of them actually said if they were or not.

Do I just assume they all are?

MrsHappy Fri 31-Jul-09 16:44:40

Yes - in this country if cheese isn't pasturised it needs to say so.
Feta is absolutely fine.

mosschops30 Fri 31-Jul-09 16:46:06

ive eaten it (along with dippy eggs, peanuts, unpasturised cheese and wine blush) dont take any advice from me. But I do think a little of what you fancy does you good, everything in moderation.

sjbj Fri 31-Jul-09 17:47:10

do you have a tesco nearby? their own feta is pasteurised!

blondiep14 Sat 01-Aug-09 11:30:10

what about feta in Greece do you think? Although I had a chunk of Danish Blue last night so I guess I'm not too bothered, just I go on hols in September and usually eat buckets of feta!

MaElsie Sat 01-Aug-09 11:46:41

Some books say you should avoid feta, but I had some the other day and I was fine.

Ninni Sat 01-Aug-09 12:04:39

Not sure about in Greece, I wouldn't think so. I was just there and I did eat it, a bit more modestly than usual but not much... I even looked at the feta in the shops there but it didn't say anything on the packaging there either. I guess a lot of the cheese there may just be madeby the local farmer inwhich case I don't think it's pasterised. However, do Greek women stop eating it??!

blondiep14 Sat 01-Aug-09 12:08:52

I know I won't resist it...ah well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now