Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Having a c-section at 39 weeks

(8 Posts)
arena Thu 30-Jul-09 17:24:25

Im having a c-section at 39 weeks, im 38 weeks at the moment. If my water's broke do i still have a c-section, or do they make you have a normal delivery.

Meglet Thu 30-Jul-09 17:31:12

Whats the reason for having a cs?

Are you ok with the cs or would you feel happier with a natural birth? I don't think they will make you have a natural birth, you could put your foot down if you are happier with the cs.

I had a planned one at 39 weeks and they just said if I go into labour early to call them and I would have to fast for 6 hours then they would do the cs, although if there was any danger they'd whip the baby out sooner.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 30-Jul-09 17:31:30

I'm not sure but it may depend on the intitial reason for the c-section.

olivo Thu 30-Jul-09 18:18:06

i think you still have the cs if you want it.
can i ask, do you have to fast for an elec cs, and if so, why?

dal21 Thu 30-Jul-09 18:24:04

If your waters broke and you started having contractions, they would take you straight in for a csection - whatever time of day or night it was.

My waters broke the night before my csection was booked, but no contractions. So went ahead as planned in the morning. Once your waters break though, they class it as an emergency csection.

SweetEm Thu 30-Jul-09 19:17:33

My waters broke 2 days before I was booked in for elective c-section with dc2. I was asked if I would like to try a vbac and I said no, so if my experience is anything to go by you will be given a choice.

olivo - yes you do have to fast for an elective c-section. It is because having food in your stomach puts you at risk of pulmonary aspiration, whatever that is!

Meglet Thu 30-Jul-09 19:24:48

re: fasting. My consultant said that if I had gone into labour in the night and not had anything to eat since my evening meal (ie: over 6 hours previously) they they would count that as my 'fast'and do the op straight away. They were happy to take my word for it, he said he trusted me to be honest about when I last ate, that way I wouldn't have to sit in a labour ward for 6 hours in pain and geting hungry!

olivo Thu 30-Jul-09 20:03:52

ah, thank you ( and sorry to crash your thread, arena!) my last cs was em but probably nothing there after long labour and much puking. pulmonary aspiration doesnt sound fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now