Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Why do people think its ok to ask how much you will get paid....

(9 Posts)
mumtobe23 Thu 30-Jul-09 13:38:50

...while on maternity leave.

I think its so bloody rude! Family and close friends I dont mind about too much but its the people at work & even friends of friends.

So far I've had pretty much everyone in my office, at some point or another ask me "so whats the pay like while your off". hmm
I'm usually quite vauge and just say things like "it's not great but its enough to keep us going" but then I get them pushing for more and get asked "yeah but how much exactly is the SMP/ how long will you get full pay for/ can you claim any benefits?" I've always been bought up not to ask those sort of questions & I don't particularly want everyone to know what I'll be getting while I'm off.
Anyone else get asked this?

I'm 34+6 weeks now and I'm still getting asked these questions!

I just think it's quite a rude thing to ask, I would never ask what they earn so why is it ok for them to ask me just because I'm having a baby angry

Ok, phew, rant over

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Thu 30-Jul-09 13:40:41

It happened to me but I wasn't bothered. I think its just a chat type conversation thing so people can be pleased/annoyed for you at the great/crap pay you might be getting.

That's how I felt about it anyway.

flowerybeanbag Thu 30-Jul-09 13:51:47

Well exactly how much SMP is isn't private because it's the same for everyone. Other than that I expect people are just interested in how generous your employer's package is compared to their own/other people they know. If it's people in your office then they are actually asking about their own employer's maternity package anyway, which is very relevant to them, and also pretty easy for them to find out I imagine.

If you're not happy to say 'I get 3 months half pay then basic SMP' or whatever you actually get, then just say so.

Longtalljosie Thu 30-Jul-09 14:09:25

I really don't see what the problem is. It's not like they're asking how much you earn - just what pay is like on maternity leave. And those at your work are probably asking with themselves in mind. I got asked the question myself - just say "x months full/half pay" - then SMP which is £123 / week".

trixymalixy Thu 30-Jul-09 16:45:32

I don't think it's that rude either. i don't think people are asking for figures in pounds, but e.g. "x months at half pay then SMP".

Or in my case, just SMP sad.

MrsFogi Thu 30-Jul-09 16:48:19

They're probably trying to suss it out before they get pg.

theyoungvisiter Thu 30-Jul-09 16:56:16

I don't think it's rude - I mean they aren't asking for £sd are they? Just for the basic package info (eg 12 weeks at full pay then statutory etc).

A big factor in what companies offer their employees is what competing companies offer - often it's only when you go in and say "X offers 12 weeks full pay followed by 6 weeks half pay with a return to work bonus of 4 weeks pay" that they realise how crap their own policy is.

I know several companies that only offered statutory until female employees banded together and demanded more based on comparable packages from competitors.

As for SMP, that's a matter of public record so not private at all.

KatyS36 Thu 30-Jul-09 17:50:54

Agree. I would never disclose my salary and have never realy been asked.

However, I don't mind this at all, I think people are genuinely curiouse to see what it currently is at the moment.

I always give it as a % of pay, then actual SMP numbers.

I see it as being a similar question as how much annual leave do you get.

I would classify someone asking my salary as very rude though!

carrielou2007 Thu 30-Jul-09 22:20:01

I had this whilst expecting dd 'paid to sit at home doing nothing, we'd all love that' type of thing (I work in a very male dominated profession so very few of us to get pregnant!).

I did snap a few times 'you try living on 108 a week then' and got faces gasped in an 'o' shape which was quite funny grin.

I also got a few shocked faces when I said I have to live off my savings whilst I'm off (on my own so no other half) and even more worrying was that so many people admitted they didn't have any savings!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now