Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Hair dye

(14 Posts)
ruthiemum Mon 23-May-05 15:15:11

Do people do this when they are pregnant - I know currently the advice is that it is ok but not too sure, just that my hair really needs dying but am not sure whether I should or not. Hvae other people dyed there hair when pregnant?

elsmommy Mon 23-May-05 15:16:59

I had mine done 2 days before dd arrived.
The hairdresser said it would be fine

ruthiemum Mon 23-May-05 15:23:19

Well it needs doing so am going to have it done soon before all my grey starts showing

NomDePlume Mon 23-May-05 15:29:10

I did mine with home dye kits all through my pregnancy. DD was perfectly healthy, good birthweight, great APGARs, born at term with a quick and intervention free labour. It had no adverse effects for us (me & DD)

ruthiemum Mon 23-May-05 15:35:34

thanks NDP - will be doing mine at home, bought a kit when I first got pregnant and would have done it then but I have to be in the right frame of mind to do it, i.e. patient! Just been and bought another one today, just a boring brown!

NomDePlume Mon 23-May-05 15:47:25

I think the main thing is that the texture of hair becomes very porous during pregnancy do the colour may not take as well as it usually does, i think that is a bigger risk than any possible health probs.

NomDePlume Mon 23-May-05 15:47:41

so the colour may not....

ruthiemum Mon 23-May-05 15:50:10

Well it will give me a laugh if it looks horrendous, can't be any worse than what it looks liek now, I don't even know what colour my own hair is anymore so this will be interesting

NomDePlume Mon 23-May-05 15:50:33

lol !

AnotherHelen Mon 23-May-05 16:12:17

Hiya im a hairdresser so have had colors on my hair at work - pregnant or not, and have they never had any ill effects for baby (either of them) the dye's used in colours arent harsh enough to do any harm as long as your not putting colours on every week! some people can go mad colouring they're hair ALL the time its then that problems MIGHT occur! if u need a hair colour go for it! - it will make you feel good - a happy mummy = a happy baby! xxx

ruthiemum Mon 23-May-05 16:17:27

Thanks AH - have been meaning to ask my hairdresser - she comes to my house but she is always in a foul mood bit nervous of rattling her cage. Really looking forward to doing it now - has been ages!

AnotherHelen Mon 23-May-05 16:23:24

No probs ruthiemum happy to help! its always nice to have your hair done! scary sounding hairdresser too by the way lol! hope you enjoy being pampered for a while! xxx

NomDePlume Mon 23-May-05 16:24:47

I have to say that I wouldn't be inviting such a surly sounding hairdresser back for any further appointments if I was too afraid about asking her advice on something hair-related.

ruthiemum Mon 23-May-05 16:30:02

She is a tad hormonal but honestly she is the only hairdresser who cuts my hair how I like it - plus she has cut my mums hair for about 10 years now so feel a bit obliged to use her. She just cuts and I pay and that's it, off she goes!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: