Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Advice needed - Placenta

(4 Posts)
Rinkydink Mon 23-May-05 14:00:57

My friend has found out that although her baby is ok, her placenta isn't developing as expected. She already has children, but has had miscarriages in the past. She is 16 weeks pregnant, and now has to have scans every couple of weeks. She has been told the baby could die.
Is there anything that she can do to help herself and the baby? Or is it just a case of waiting to see what happens?? Any advice, sites, etc would be great, Thanks

throckenholt Mon 23-May-05 14:13:55

Not much she can do I guess. Try googling IUGR - I think that may be relevant.

edd Mon 23-May-05 14:23:45

Hi Rinkydink, I have one child age 7 and no problems in that pregnancy. Since then I have suffered 6 m/c. I am now 35+ wks pregnant and thank god all is well. Like your friend I had problems with the placenta, it wasnt strong and developed enough to feed any of my babies. In this pregnancy I was put on aspirin tablets 75mg and innohep injections daily to aid the blood to nourish the placenta and it has worked, I am due to come off all this medication at the weekend. In the beginning I was also on gestone injections twice weekly to strenghten my hormone levels which were quite low and contributed to placenta defiency. I hope all goes well for her, she really needs to get in contact with her gyn asap to discuss this, good luck and stay in touch.

Rinkydink Tue 24-May-05 07:43:20

Thanks for replying edd. Glad to hear all is well with this pregnancy, cant imagine what a horrible time you've been through. Its good to hear that there is something the doctors can do for my friend, at the moment they are doing scans at regular intervals to see how fast/slow the placenta is developing. Then they will see if they can do anything to help.
Its such a worrying time, and i feel totally helpless, i cant make it any easier or better for her.
Thanks for the support
xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: