Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else going for an autumn VBAC?

(18 Posts)
meemarsgotabrandnewbump Wed 29-Jul-09 14:23:33

Hi, I'm meemar smile

Baby number 3 is due in November and I am hoping for a vbac. The hospital are supportive in theory, although some of their policies are a bit hmm

If anyone else going for a vbac later this year and would like to get together for moral support, then join me!

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Wed 29-Jul-09 16:06:52

bump

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 30-Jul-09 08:54:06

Looks like it's just me then! grin

I'm currently feeling quite excited, but also worried that when it comes to the time, I may not feel supported enough at the hospital.

If anyone has had a vbac and has any stories to share, or things that would be useful to know I would love to hear.

Thanks

Poledra Thu 30-Jul-09 08:56:44

Hi meemars, congratulations on your pg! I always like to refer folks to this thread, as there's loads of useful info on there. I've had 2 VBACs, but three DCs are enough for me......

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 30-Jul-09 09:01:33

thanks poledra - I remember seeing that thread months ago and had no idea it was still going!

I shall get reading smile

tostaky Thu 30-Jul-09 09:13:35

Hi there, im due april 2010 so long time from now but im planning a VBAC and i think i'll get a doula to help (because i dont want to be pressurised by hopsital staff and policies)

JemL Thu 30-Jul-09 13:06:07

I'm planning a VBAC in October. y experience so far in terms of hospital policies has been interesting - shortly after my booking in appointment, I was sent an outline of recommended policies. These included:

Being on Labour ward instead of midwife led unit (within the same hospital)
Continuous montitoring
Having cannula put in
Water only no food when in established labour
No using birth pool

I had an appointment with a consultant, as I hwas extrememly keen to be on the midwife led unit. She wouldn't agree this, but referred me to a consultant midwife who has written me a birth plan. We have talked everything through, and although I have compromised on being on the labour ward, we have agreed that I:

Will have 20 minutes of mobile monitoring every 2 hours
Will be able to use the pool if it is free
Will not automatically be put on the syntocin drip if progress is slow (which was a real issue for me)
Will have an appointment at 41 weeks if overdue to talk about options other than induction.

She did say to put her letter and plan in my notes and that I may need to be assertive about pointing it out, which I am a bit concerned about...but have my fingers crossed!

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 30-Jul-09 16:13:32

Hi thanks for replies.

I think I will need to get a bit more assertive about monitoring.

Midwife led care was never offered as an option, which I can do nothing about. However, the consultant was fully supportive, told me about the 70% vbac success rate and was encouraging.

But then they have a policy of getting you in early in labour and having continuous monitoring which doesn't bode well for an active labour and vaginal birth.

I do feel generally good about my chances though as DS1 was born vaginally and I did labour quite far with DS2 before the section.

It would be good to have some supportive staff when the time comes though!

NigellaTufnel Thu 30-Jul-09 16:28:35

I'm going for one in November. Our hospital don't seem to offer any advice or specific policy apart from ...

You must have a VBAC.

Nice

JemL Thu 30-Jul-09 16:45:06

This consultant midwife did say to me that I might need to stand my ground on some things, although I think having a letter from her in my notes will make me feel more confident about doing so - otherwise I would probably just cave and agree to everythign they say! She also said that when I phone up the labour ward when the baby comes I should tell them that I am attempting a VBAC and that we have agreed certain things on monitoring, etc - this helps them as they can then have the opportunity to allocate a midwife who might be more experienced in VBAC, or more confident in deviating from the norm in terms of VBAC proceedure - which some aren't.

It hasn't been easy to get this far though and I really think it depends on who you get to speak to and what the hospital are like - which varies so much

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 30-Jul-09 16:53:53

I suppose on the bright side the fact that they encourage VBAC, and the success rate is high is great.

I know from experience how quickly things can go downhill when you are constantly monitored. With hindsight I know that's why my first (vaginal) birth slowed down and I ended up with no urge to push and a ventouse delivery.

I just worry that in a VBAC scenario, if anything caused labour not to progress they would immediately go for a section.

JemL - the things your consultant agreed to sound good. They won't let you go in a pool here, which I don't mind. But I'd like them to agree to intermittent monitoring.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 30-Jul-09 16:57:29

I'm not a naturally assertive person, so am dreading having to stand my ground, especially feeling vulnerable in labour. It is hard when you feel you have to fight.

The idea of a doula sounds appealing - I may look at it but not sure if we could afford it or if I could find one round here.

helips Thu 30-Jul-09 18:10:08

Hi Meemar,

I'm planning a home vbac in November. I am going with Independent Midwives who have a lot of experience with home vbacs and are being very positive about everything. Apparently the fact that I got to almost fully dilated before the cs bodes well for me. Is it possible for you to get a doula with experience in this? That way at least you have someone to fight your corner! Good luck, I hope we all get the births we want this time grin

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 30-Jul-09 20:07:28

hi helips, I will look into a doula. It's not something I considered before but sounds like it could be positive if the finances allow it.

Good for you going for the homebirth - I hope it all works out well for you smile.

I got to 8cm dilation before my section with DS2 - it was a very fast labour too. I am hoping that, plus the fact that DS1 was vaginally delivered will go in my favour.

I am actually feeling quite positive about it all despite the hospital concerns. Hoping that positive thinking will help too!

MrsFlyingKebab Thu 30-Jul-09 20:34:11

Hi everyone,
DD2 is due 1st Oct, and I'm hoping for a VBAC after DD1 (4.5) was born after EMCS for 'failure to progress'. Usual story, overdue induction epidural etc but I did get to 9.5cm but I think an anterior lip meant she got stuck. Anyway, had a quick meeting with registrar a while ago now and the only bit I can remember is that they only want me on CFM during the second stage and that my chances are 72-75%. Much the same as a normal birth.
Am having my next meeting at 36 wks in 5 weeks where I guess we will discuss the delivery in more detail. I will post any updates as I think its so interesting the different policies hospitals have - this one is a maternity team unit in a hospital.
Fingers crossed we all get what we want!! grin

helips Thu 30-Jul-09 20:41:18

Meemar, that all sounds positive, your body knows what to do so hopefully things will be easier this time round.

MrsFlyingKebab, your labour sounds identical to mine, I got to 9.5cm too and had an anterior lip, ds really didn't want to come out!

MrsFlyingKebab Thu 30-Jul-09 21:29:47

I know what you mean helips! DD1 was 15 days late, and I don't know why they bothered with CFM because she was asleep through most of it. Even when she was born she just managed a 'meh' of protest then went back to sleep!!

I'm hoping that having almost done it before, things will be quicker this time and it will be just the pushing out bit that will be new! To be honest, although I would like a VBAC, if push comes to shove I will be happy with a CS as I recovered quick and easy from the last one. I just don't ever want to be induced again. Its that whole cascade of intervention thing - when I would rather cut out all the intermediate stuff and just have a CS if its gonna happen anyway. So for me, a VBAC is good if I don't go overdue again, if they want to induce, (not likely I believe from other threads?) then they can just get sharpening those scalpels thank you very much.

MrsHappy Fri 31-Jul-09 12:20:11

Hello

I am going for a VBAC in October too, having got fully dilated but with a stuck baby first time around.

I just had my meeting with a consultant this morning, so it's very timely finding this thread now! She said from a safety point of view they would prefer me to be in the CLU, with a canula and lots of continuous monitoring . Then she said that it was up to me what I wanted and what I would accept, which I did appreciate because the last doctor I saw was very fond of the word "can't". She told me it was up to the midwives on the birth centre whether they would take me. So now I just need to get the midwives to say they are willing to accept me as a patient and I will be able to relax. Consultant did say that if the midwives don't want me she would make sure I could stay mobile, go in the shower etc and that the monitor was taken off regularly. I hope she realised I am quite sensible - when we spoke about induction, for example, I said I would rather have a section than syntocin and she agreed that was a good decision. Sometimes I think getting them to realise you are thinking things through is some of the battle...

Anyway, lots of luck to the rest of you trying this. I just keep focusing on the idea that if it works I hopefully won't be in much pain afterwards vs the drug-addled blur of a week I had last time). How nice would that be? Baby comes out and pain stops! Brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now