Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I need the wisdom of the Mumsnet collective - it's another could I be pregnant question.

(22 Posts)
daisydotandgertie Wed 29-Jul-09 09:01:26

I'm on day 53 of my current cycle which working on my average cycle length makes AF 26 days late.

I've had no really obvious pg symptoms, but have had buckets of creamy CM. In the last few days it looks as though my nipples have gone a bit darker, I'm massively bloated, I'm waking up in the night needing a wee (V unusual for me), have got burning indigestion a lot of the time and am overwhelmingly tired by about 5pm.

I have had a brown mucussy (sp?!) discharge for the last 4 days which has trailed away to nothing for the last 24 hours, and was never enough to go so far as staining my drawers.

I have done a batallion of pg tests with many, many BFNs, but thought I spotted a very faint line on Sunday. I tried again on Monday and couldn't see a thing.

This morning, both my DH and I could see a more obvious line, but it wasn't obvious enough for us to actually believe it.

What's the verdict? Has anyone else been through anything similar?

It'd be really, really good if we are up the pole. We've been TTC for a while.

TrinityRhinoIsInDetention Wed 29-Jul-09 09:04:10

lol @ up the pole

you just need to test with your morning wee
If you thought you saw something and have no AF then why dont you think you're pregnant?

KingRolo Wed 29-Jul-09 09:05:29

Give it another day or two (I know it's hard) and do another test.

This happened to me, negatives for a week then a faint positive, then a firm positive. Then eventually a baby! Changes to my breats were the first symptoms too and I had some darkish discharge.

Good luck grin

daisydotandgertie Wed 29-Jul-09 09:09:28

Trinity - just because I don't really feel that different and the line is soooo delicate.

I've mostly managed morning wee; def did this morning. And got the really annoying is it there or isn't it line.

KingRolo - I will have another go in a few days I think. Am liking the sound of your story a lot though!

KingRolo Wed 29-Jul-09 09:15:12

Let us know how you get on daisy.

MaElsie Sat 01-Aug-09 12:28:42

Leave it a few more days then do another test - I had a negative, then a faint positive then two very strong positives (just to make sure!), when I had been pregnant the whole time.

How many symptoms you show straight away will vary. Anyway, I'm sure your doctor will be able to talk you through your results if you're still unsure after another test.

lynneevans51 Sat 01-Aug-09 16:48:58

It was many many years ago but I can remember in the mid 80's getting negative results until I was over 15 weeks pg!! It really wasn't v helpful as I was only 17 and I ended up having a v late termination. However, point I'm trying to make is you can have negatives and still be pg - but then again if you are TTC - are you on hormone treatment that could affect the result? GP perhaps...?

TheRedSalamander Sat 01-Aug-09 19:25:56

Any news? I love the "am I?" threads, good luck x

wrigglershouse Sat 01-Aug-09 20:25:11

Certainly sounds like it to me.

roxy12 Sat 01-Aug-09 21:10:23

it sounds like you are pregnant to me.

I had similar symptoms and done a test and it was very faint si i done another one and it was a definate positive.

I used clear blue the one that tells you in words (pregnant or not pregnant), they are very good.

Good luck.

BexJ78 Sun 02-Aug-09 15:20:54

Don't worry about not feeling any different...i still don't feel any different and I am 22 weeks! Not everyone suddenly feels horrendous or needs to sleep loads. I so far have been unbelieveably lucky and spoilt, and not been or felt sick and not been too tired or even had the need to wee every five minutes. yet little bambino is in there and all seems to be going well so far!! when we went for our first scan, both DH and I burst into floods of tears when we saw the little squiggle moving about, because up until then, we thought it was perhaps all in our imaginations!! Fingers crossed for you and hope it is good news!
xxxxx

daisydotandgertie Sun 02-Aug-09 15:56:04

You lovely ladies. I thought my thread had died!

I'm on day 57 now, and nothing much has changed. I've done pg tests for the last few mornings and on some mornings there's a faint line, and on other mornings there isn't. I still have very, very light brown spotting and it feels as though someone has stuffed a couple of melons up my jumper.

BexJ78 - I'm hoping a lot that if I am pg, it'll be like yours!

lynneevans51 that must have been very hard at 17 - but your story has given me a bit of perspective. Thank you.

I'm not on any hormonal treatments - I've been taking folic acid though, just in case.

I have the hump, to be honest. I want to know one way or the other - and for AF to arrive if it's a BFN. I'm going to the doc on Monday afternoon, because whatever's going on, it's not at all normal for me so I think I should find out about it.

CantThinkofFunnyName Tue 04-Aug-09 13:58:30

Good luck Daisy - let us know how you get on (btw am lynneevans but name changed!!)

daisydotandgertie Tue 04-Aug-09 17:16:17

At least the doc didn't make me feel as though I'm a neurotic fool wink.

She took me seriously - and even appeared to listen. But, she was a trainee doc and on her last placement so I am not as confident as I would like to be.

I've had blood taken today to test for HCG - she said that if it came back positive it pointed to it being a v early pg, rather than one which is 8 weeks in. That doesn't really tie in with what I've read, but I'll take it onboard for now.

She didn't have any suggestions as to why my AF has gone missing - but didn't poo-poo the preg idea either.

I asked her if the blood test would be conclusive, and she said no - if there's no joy from the blood, then it'll be onto a scan and an internal.

She did ask if I was having hot flushes or similar menopausal symptoms (I'm no spring chicken), but I'm def no there yet - the same surgery took blood tests to check on my hormone levels only about 3 months ago.

She seemed interested in the spotting, but didn't come up with any suggestions for that either.

So, in summary, they've taken blood, but won't get the results in until the end of the week. I still don't really know what's going on or whether my very late AF means I am up the pole at last. I am a bit fed up.

CantThink When you had your very late BFP did you have spotting or a period before hand?

CantThinkofFunnyName Tue 04-Aug-09 19:12:50

Hey Daisy - no, I had absolutely nothing when I had my late BFP.... all v odd though isnt it? Just wonder why they dont send you for a scan straight away - would be so much simpler than arsing around with bloods wouldn't it? hmm

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 04-Aug-09 19:17:38

What about trying a digital test?

daisydotandgertie Tue 04-Aug-09 20:17:35

I'm a bit tight!

I've tried so many tests that I fear I may bankrupt us. I very nearly bought a digital test at the weekend, but the way things are going, I was worried it'd confuse me even more.

I am a bit hacked off that we're buggering about still - blood tests which take 3-5 days to come back are really not where I want to be right now.

And my boobs have now almost entirely spilled out of my most all-encompassing bra. It's not a good look!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 05-Aug-09 12:56:19

But the amount you have already spent on the other tests and it will cost you a lot more if you are pregnant.

CantThinkofFunnyName Wed 05-Aug-09 13:05:14

Yep - and digital will spell it out in words for you. If you are pregnant, it typically comes up within 30 seconds!!

daisydotandgertie Wed 05-Aug-09 15:36:44

It's not really the cost of another test - as you say, a baby will be much, much more expensive than a digital test.

The trouble is that this has been going on for so long now I'm anxious to find out exactly why. I don't think it can be something as simple as using the 'wrong' sort of test. By now - according to the date of my LMP I could be 8+3 so any test should show up a result really - it's a simple chemical reaction, isn't it?

I want the doc to have a thorough investigation - to see why my body is not behaving normally.

It maybe because I am pg and the baby is not developing properly, in which case I really want to know; or that I'm not pg but during the time I would normally have had 2 periods and be into my third cycle something else has been going on. Again, I really want to know what.

I suppose if I took a digi test, I'd know which of the two it is; but I still wouldn't know why my body is behaving as it is.

Roll on Friday.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 05-Aug-09 17:21:54

Your body can do the strangest things.

Just get the digital test.

ihavenosecrets Wed 05-Aug-09 17:30:28

When I was pregnant with ds I didn't test positive until I was 8 weeks. I would put my money on you being pregnant, you have had a faint line and an implantation period.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now