Talk

Advanced search

Should I be worried that I haven't felt dc2 at 18 weeks?

(21 Posts)
HeadFairy Tue 28-Jul-09 18:21:16

Kind of felt movements, but I'm fairly sure they're wind (I'm very windy at the mo blush), I know I felt kicks by the time of my 22 wk scan with ds, so I would have thought I'd be feeling very gentle kicks by now, but nothing.

Pepa Tue 28-Jul-09 18:29:05

I'm in the same boat...17+2 with #3 and haven't felt a thing. I'm getting myself in a state about it even through I know it is nothing to worry about.....

mogend77 Tue 28-Jul-09 18:42:03

No - it varies so much. Plus for all you know you might have an anterior placenta.

HeadFairy Tue 28-Jul-09 18:42:23

I know I shouldn't be worried Pepa, but you do hear everyone say you feel subsequent babies earlier, I thought it would be much earlier, ie by now!

Does height make a difference? I'm quite tall and at my last mw appt the mw struggled to get the babies hb as he/she was very low, hiding behind my pubic bone, this was at 17 weeks, so I'm guessing still very low in my pelvis. Not sure this would make a difference though?

When did you last have a mw appt pepa? Did you hear a good hb? Is that why you're happy there's nothing to worry about? This is my first pregnancy after 2 back to back mcs so perhaps I'm extra sensitive.

readyfornumber2and3 Tue 28-Jul-09 18:44:05

I wouldnt really be concerned yet.

I am nearly 36 weeks pg with twins and didnt feel them move until just after 20 weeks, I was that paranoid that I had the mw out 2 days before my 20 week scan to use the doppler blush
I think its easy to forget just how small our beans are at this stage, and also if you have an anterior placenta it will absorb some of the movements.

Its so reassuring when you feel them moving though so fingers crossed it happens soon smile

HeadFairy Tue 28-Jul-09 18:46:41

oooh does that make a difference mogend? didn't realise that, that does reassure me a lot! I can't remember what it said on my scan notes about the placenta... all I know is I've got a wonky uterus, retroverted and an odd shape, not sure if that makes a difference too?

Crikey Ready... you'd think twins would be kicking like crazy at 20 weeks! I was to my shame eyeing up one of those heartbeat monitor things to reassure myself!

mogend77 Tue 28-Jul-09 18:48:46

Yes an anterior placenta makes a big difference. As can your weight and the baby's position - you feel baby less when they are front to back than if they are back to back/transverse.

DjangoTheDjinn Tue 28-Jul-09 18:51:04

These threads are ten a penny ie people worrying about subsequent babies not moving by 18/20/22/number of choice weeks. Never, ever have they turned out that anything is wrong.

I had an anterior placenta and it muffles movements. It's just a big cushion between the baby and your tummy.

I'm sure it's fine. smile

HeadFairy Tue 28-Jul-09 18:51:10

How does weight affect it mogend? I'm a couple of stone overweight so is that why? I was the same weight when I got pg with ds (in fact I think I'd put on more weight at this stage last time than I have now, I've been very sensible this time!)

I thought that at this stage they were bouncing all around and hadn't really settled in to one position.

DjangoTheDjinn Tue 28-Jul-09 18:52:52

Didn't mean to make that sound like you were being repetitive, just read it back and I sound very rude. Quite the opposite, meant to reassure you that it is common and rarely is anything wrong.

I'm sorry to hear of your past m/cs too.

GaribaldiGirl Tue 28-Jul-09 18:56:24

I didn't feel my current baby till about 20 weeks and i was getting quite anxious by then. I felt my other babies (4 previously) at around 17 weeks so it was unusual for me. I don't know why this should have been. But all has been fine and now at 39 weeks she's keeping me awake with big kicks! So I don't think you need to worry necessarly.

readyfornumber2and3 Tue 28-Jul-09 18:56:43

Weight can effect it because of the extra cushioning lol
Saying that though I was 5 stone heavier with my first blush and felt movement at about the same time so didnt really effect me.
I wouldnt bother with a doppler because you will end up scaring yourself if you cant find the heartbeat and even mws can struggle at this point.

When do you have your next scan?

HeadFairy Tue 28-Jul-09 18:57:28

Django... I was a bit hmm at that, but only for a second, I'm all right now <sniff> honest <sniff>

Good to hear I've got a few more weeks before I can really start to panic and piss my mw off with endless panicky phone calls

HeadFairy Tue 28-Jul-09 18:58:10

Ready, next scan is the anomoly, having it at 22 weeks, so in about 3.5 weeks.

readyfornumber2and3 Tue 28-Jul-09 19:01:51

Im sure all will be fine but if you are really concerned (and you have a right to be paranoid given your history) then give your mw a call, its part of their job to reassure you and like mine told me they would rather see you and everything be fine than you be scared to ring when there is a problem.

Give it a couple of months and you will be starting a thread because you are being kicked to death all night long and getting no sleep wink lol

HeadFairy Tue 28-Jul-09 19:03:58

Oh I know Ready... if this one's anything like ds my poor cervix will get a right bashing from the inside!

I think I'll leave it another couple of weeks and if nothing I'll call the mw and see if I can pop in and have a listen. It was a little disturbing that the heartbeat was so hard to find last time, we only got to hear it for a second or two each time, not enough to get a heart rate at all. I think I'd be more confident if we'd had a good solid heart beat measurement.

Pepa Tue 28-Jul-09 19:07:34

I'm very tall and the midwife had difficulties finding babies hb so maybe that does have something to do with it. The baby was very low that was the problem. The hb when she did find it was fineFrom my last scan I know the placenta is at the back so I thought I would be able to feel somehting earlier - especially with this being my 3rd and all that.

I looked it up and they said it just really depends on the mother and its not unusual not to feel anything below 22 weeks...but you can't help but worry right?!

HeadFairy Wed 29-Jul-09 11:29:01

Checked my notes this morning, I do have an anterior placenta so I'm sure that's why I'm not feeling much. Phew! And relax (until the next panic!)

anotherbadnight Wed 29-Jul-09 11:58:22

I didn't feel anything with my first until I was 21 weeks and all was fine. At the time other people said it was just that I didn't know what I was looking out for, and they were right. With my second it was only around 16 - 17 weeks, so not that early either.

mogend77 Wed 29-Jul-09 15:45:37

Glad you have had an answer from your scan notes!

nomorecake Wed 29-Jul-09 16:01:02

i had anterior Placenta and didnt feel ds until 22weeks.

i did start to feel really panicky about it because everyone else was saying how their baby had been kicking for ages. bloody people!

if you gt really worried contact your midwifê- i'm sure they wouldnt want you to stress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now