Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What do you wear to give birth in?

(26 Posts)
oldboiler Mon 27-Jul-09 22:47:13

I'm a first timer so please forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question. I'm planning on giving birth naturally and have just packed my hospital bag. I have packed nighties but they are pretty ones so wouldn't want to wear them to actually give birth in. Just wondered if I should bring an old nightie for that or if the hospital actually provides a gown for you?

diedandgonetodevon Mon 27-Jul-09 22:49:05

Old nightshirt or partners baggy t-shirt.

(Have tried to remember what I had on and I just cannot for the life of me think what it could have been...it was only 9 months ago)

GeorgeTheSlitheen Mon 27-Jul-09 22:51:37

I'm in bed (on my iPhone saddo) wearing the nightie I gave birth to my daughter in 5 years ago !

Just wear a comfy baggy nighty or something

it will get grubby but it washes out.

thisisyesterday Mon 27-Jul-09 22:51:38

first time i wore a nightie. got a manky old one from primark, but it ended up looking as good as new, not a mark on it.

second time i wore nothing.

third time i wore a tankini top. i think i only put it on cos i'd bought it specially. wore it for all of erm, about 5 minutes

wonderingwondering Mon 27-Jul-09 22:54:13

Don't rely on a hosp gown, they are the ones that are open all the way down the back. You might end up in one were you to have an epidural, but you'll prob be best to try to get a couple of cheap cotton nighties - I got a couple in M&S for about £8 each.

And you might find wearing more disposable nighties for a day or two afterwards is sensible - you'll bleed afterwards and if you are in a hosp bed, lying down, there can be a bit of leakage. Sorry if TMI, but plenty of time for pretty nighties after a day or two!

The M&S ones were OK, I didn't want to go for anything too dowdy, just not expensive ones. I actually got up while in hosp and dressed in a tracksuit during the day as I didn't like lying around in a nightie when I wasn't ill.

hester Mon 27-Jul-09 23:09:42

I wore a huge, baggy shirt in a very light fabric, nice strong colour to cheer me up. And a sarong - easy access to my nether regions, but a good cover up when staggering down hospital corridors.

chellebelle Mon 27-Jul-09 23:52:24

Raid Primark - I'm sure I heard that someone had got most of their stuff for their hospital bag for under £15 including slippers, dressing gown, nighties, big knickers, spare clothes the bag itself etc etc etc. No point in spending too much cause you may only use half of it anyway and if youo've only spent a couple of quid on it you don't mind too much when it gets wrecked! grin

mogend77 Tue 28-Jul-09 10:52:35

I went to that really cheap shop for plus sized clothes (is it Bon Marche?) and bought the biggest (I wanted it to be roomy), button all the way down (for fast opening for skin to skin) night shirt I could find in case I was labouring on land. It was very cheap. I also had a mat tankini in case of water birth. The nightshirt got the use as birth didn't go to plan and it came clean despite thick mec in waters. It was ideal actually (though not beautiful!). I have both the same options this time, but am hoping the tankini gets its turn!

rasputin Tue 28-Jul-09 10:53:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HuffwardlyRouge Tue 28-Jul-09 10:56:28

First birth - hospital gown. I was hot and uncomfortable and it was easier than the old t-shirt I'd brought.

Second birth - the vest and bra I'd happened to be wearing when I arrived in hospital. The blood washed out and I still wear them now

notcitrus Tue 28-Jul-09 11:01:43

Baggy T-shirt and long stretchy skirt for going to hospital and the first bit. Stripped off to get into birth pool and didn't put anything on again when I got out and transferred downstairs for an epidural. I think it was about 36 hours later when I put on a long T-shirt again, about 5 minutes before my dad unexpectedly visited. Too hot for clothes!

In retrospect, that explains why MrNC and other birth partners were throwing sheets over me in the lift!

ellielou02 Tue 28-Jul-09 11:06:36

He he I had a wooly jumper on, MW didnt even have time to put scrubs on, lol my girl wasnt hanging around wink

ellielou02 Tue 28-Jul-09 11:07:26

But seriously I had DH old tee shirt in my bag

LoveBeingAMummy Tue 28-Jul-09 11:08:43

The top I was wearing when I arrived at hospital, including bra. Was 9cm when got there so didn't really think about it grin

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Tue 28-Jul-09 11:09:54

i wore a beach dress that cam mid thigh but i took it off to go in the pool with ds1 and with ds2 i tore it off me because i couldn't bear to be hot. i am very self concious about my body normally but really i couldn't have cared less who saw me naked. it was more comfy that way-so naked it was!

Rindercella Tue 28-Jul-09 11:10:14

Nada! I started off in the long top I had worn to the hospital, but everything happened so fast I had no time to get changed into the nightshirt I had planned to wear. The mw soon persauded me that naked was the way to go. Twas lovely when DD was born too, as we had full skin-to-skin contact straight away. smile

Rindercella Tue 28-Jul-09 11:11:26

Snap LoveBeingAMummy - identical to you (9cm dilated when I got to the hospital) grin

mum27 Tue 28-Jul-09 11:49:50

I'm interested in what to wear for a c section. I had one last time but as it was an emergency one I can't remember. Do i have to wear their hospital gowns?

notsoteenagemum Tue 28-Jul-09 12:01:45

DH's old Timberland T-shirt by accident first time (had been decorating), for luck second time although I ended up naked.
I still have it just in case he changes his mind about having #3.

spinspinsugar Tue 28-Jul-09 12:10:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mejon Tue 28-Jul-09 15:29:27

I had packed an old red nighty but no-one actually offered me the chance to get changed so I ended up giving birth in the pink tie-dyed tunic top from Tesco I'd been wearing when I arrived (and rather uncomfy maternity bra). Luckily it didn't get very stained so was still wearable after a wash!

shellmc Tue 28-Jul-09 16:07:38

Hello i gave birth last month with my first baby.

I wore an old nightie but by the end i had it off and was naked ready to meet my little one.

The nightie washed well and didnt stain bad.

Just go with somthing you find comfy and not too hot.

Good luck hun xxxx

HollyBunda Tue 28-Jul-09 16:13:18

naked. I can't bear birthing in clothes.

SpookyMadMummy Tue 28-Jul-09 16:56:08

For all 3 of my births I wore a nightshirt that buttoned through the front all the way down.

higgle Tue 28-Jul-09 18:09:28

naked for me too - in hospital and at home,couldn't bear the feeling of any clothes on me and felt very restricted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now