Talk

Advanced search

High levels of amniotic fluid

(6 Posts)
makipuppy Mon 27-Jul-09 10:12:20

Hello, I'm 35 weeks and yesterday met up with a friend who is an experienced midwife. She had a feel of my tum and said she thought I had a little extra fluid. I saw my mw on Thursday and she didn't mention anything, although she did say I was measuring 36 weeks.

My mw friend played it down, saying it was not serious but I should mention it to the obstetrician (we have an obs appt coming up, to discuss the birth method) just in case they wanted to scan.

Now, of course, I've had my sticky fingers on google and it sounds like a serious complication (cord prolapse, heart defects). I haven't had any problems so far and all the scans have been completely normal (inc. heart).

Has anyone else had this?

LeonieSoSleepy Mon 27-Jul-09 10:14:01

Message withdrawn

PortofinoLovesItUpTheOxoTower Mon 27-Jul-09 10:20:34

I had this too - sent for a late scan and was admitted at 37 weeks as baby was also transverse so higher risk of cord prolapse. I flooded the delivery room when my waters were broken but baby absolutely fine. I'd mention it when you go to your appt but otherwise don't worry about it....

makipuppy Mon 27-Jul-09 10:29:57

Thanks so much, I really must stop googling mustn't I...

The thing is I don't know the levels, she only had a feel of my tum, but I do believe she knows what she's doing.

I'm going to ask for a scan when I see the ob..

olivo Mon 27-Jul-09 13:00:12

maki, please try not to worry. I had about 6 weeks of excess fluid, confirmed by scans etc and measuring 5 to 6 weeks ahead by tape measure! it can be a problem but more often than not, it isnt. my scan las tweek showed my levels are returning to normal, even though i am still measuring ahead by tape measure!

i had a huge amount of fluid with my dd too, and it was interseting when they broke my waters for me!! step away from google....grin

makipuppy Mon 27-Jul-09 18:14:42

Thanks Olivo,

Actually I just got back from my appt with the ob, about something else, and I asked him. He gave us a scan (elevating himself to godlike status with me) and I'm spot on for amniotic fluid, so it was all a lot of nothing.

My tummy is as tight as a drum though..

Thanks for your support, all of you - would have loved to have seen those impressive water features in the delivery room smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now