Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hospital Bag, forgotten what to pack, brain a mush, please help me organise myself.

(19 Posts)
Confuzzeled Mon 27-Jul-09 07:52:49

36+3 had 2 false alarms and now trying to organise myself while looking after my full of beans 2yo dd.

I start writing a list for a hospital bag then dd will swipe the list and draw all over it while telling me she's off shopping.

What do I need?

Got -

Ribena
Jammies

blommetjie Mon 27-Jul-09 08:33:54

*Clean knickers, maybe more than 1 pair
*clothes to leave in for you
*1 or 2 sets of clothes for new baby
* a book or magazines to read
*some snacks for during and after birth
*lucozade is good to sip if you feel sick when giving birth
*maybe a little gift for your dd either to give to new baby or for her or both!

can't think of anything else yet...still got quite a wait, only just under 22weeks

good luck wink

moonbird Mon 27-Jul-09 08:46:04

Maternity Pads
Breast Pads
Disposible pants and cotton pants
Pj's/nightie
wash bag etc
dressing gown
slippers
clothes for going home in
nursing bra (if need you are going to breast feed)
cream for nipples
nappies
wipes/cotton wool
musling
sleep suits
body suits
outfit for baby to go home in
bibs
muslin squares
blanket
hat
snacks/water
camera
That's all I can think of, so far

becksydee Mon 27-Jul-09 09:18:01

hospital notes
birth plan
iPod & docking station (or similar if you want music)
towels
flannels
extra pillows
flip flops for the shower
arnica tablets (to help with bruising afterwards)
straws (so you can drink stuff without needing hand-eye coordination!)

good luck!

Confuzzeled Mon 27-Jul-09 09:29:32

Fantastic,

I read about gifts for dd and new baby a while ago, it's meant to help isn't it.

I'm going to have to dig out my feeding bra's, I'm sure I packed them away with the lansinoh and breast pads. Hhhhhhmmmm, just have to remember where!

Arnica, I had totally forgotten about this. I still have a jar from last time, that I forgot to take

Straws, thats a really good idea, I remember struggling last time with a bottle my dh was trying to hold for me. Lucky it was a water birth as he poured most of it down my face.

Cheers

Ladyem Mon 27-Jul-09 09:53:02

Hi!

There is a good list here about half way down there is a 'handy check list' to print off, which I am using!

Is very exciting packing the bag! I'm 34 +4 and have spent the weekend searching out my nursing bras, nightwear and washing and ironing the new baby stuff! grin

Good luck!

arolf Mon 27-Jul-09 10:08:16

continuing this theme - what is a 'going home outfit' for the baby?
my other half doesn't see the point in getting a little jacket for baby (just some cheapo warm jacket I've seen in M+S) as we'll only be walking from hospital to car park, then car to house (not far in either case).
He reckons a sleep suit and a hat should be enough.

baby is due in late september, so it shouldn't be freezing, but it's unlikely to be balmy warm weather wither.

any advice?

Confuzzeled Mon 27-Jul-09 10:12:58

Arolf, you'll need a jacket for baby anyway. Surely you'll be going out after he arrives.

Confuzzeled Mon 27-Jul-09 10:13:42

Sorry s/he arrives, not predicting the sex of your baby

arolf Mon 27-Jul-09 10:43:46

thanks confuzzled - that was what I thought...

think my other half is just a bit taken aback by how much baby stuff we have around the house now! he's trying to put a brake on my spending too plus we're told by EVERYONE 'ooh, you won't be able to leave the house once sprog arrives!'

and we're pretty sure it's a he, so no offence taken!!

Ladyem Mon 27-Jul-09 11:02:55

Hi!! My baby is due 3rd sept and I've got a little jacket, plus some knitted cardigans for coming out of hospital/walks etc. When I had DD I was told that as a rule of thumb, the baby needs to wear the number of layers you are wearing, plus one extra layer, so a cardi or jacket on top of a vest/baby grow will be ideal!

Really annoys me when people say 'ooh, you won't be able to leave the house once baby arrives'! Yes you will!! We had to take DD to physio at 4 days old, the day after we bought her home from hospital! While we were out, we went for a coffee and a stroll too!! It takes some organising, yes, but you will be able to go out!! I think some people like to scare first time Mums!

(sorry for rant!) grin

Confuzzeled Mon 27-Jul-09 11:58:28

Totally, we had a walk outside with the buggy every day from the day after we came home with dd. Fresh air does you and baby the world of good.

SpawnChorus Mon 27-Jul-09 12:03:27

DH lugged several large bags around when I was in labour with DD (he needed a trolley for them all FFS blush Oh the shame), and all I used in the whole 20 hour ordeal was one glucose tablet. Although DH (keen to prove that the excess baggage was in fact necessary) did force me to eat a banana. It was returned in a projectile manner a few minutes later.

cornflakegirl Mon 27-Jul-09 13:38:03

Just in case you're as dense as me - if whoever is looking after your DD will be doing so away from your house, have you also packed a bag for her?

Confuzzeled Mon 27-Jul-09 13:52:03

Thanks Cornflake, my dd is being looked after at my house so thankfully don't have to think of that too wink

suwoo Mon 27-Jul-09 14:00:55

I was rambling on to DH about needing a going home outfit for me and he replied 'its not big brother you know'. hmm

I just meant something comfortable, that fitted and was vaguely attractive, certainly not something normally worn by BB contestants shock

grin

BlueChampagne Mon 27-Jul-09 14:24:16

A blanket for baby if it's chilly outside might be easier than a jacket. Less hand-eye co-ordination required too!

moonbird Tue 28-Jul-09 00:06:01

'Going home outfit' for me - I was thinking of just a spare set of clothes in the bag, something very comfortable and practical. Last time round I could barely stand for long than a few minutes and just wanted to get into the house and be comfortable.
As for baby, just something warm to wear over a sleep suit.

carrielou2007 Tue 28-Jul-09 09:19:16

Bag of change for car park/phone/taxi to hospital if needed. Also to have the car sear/base ready in the car.

I think the thing about not leaving the house is very true. I had to as my dad who would walk my sisters children to and from school (she is a teacher at a diff school) was in hospital so I did it for about 4 months the day after I came out of hospital from having dd. Being my first though it was a bit of a shock to the system and all my rigid organising/planning was much more of a 'winging it' for the first few weeks!!

I found a good walk every day worked wonders for both me and dd. A friend of mine didn't make it out the house for the first few weeks then she almost got a bit scared to leave the house (too daunting/baby blues type of way). Just going to a mum and baby group every tue with us she found really difficult.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now