Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

There's a possibilty I might have antenatal depression

(179 Posts)
dizzymare Sun 26-Jul-09 22:40:07

If I get to see my gp, can anyone tell me what might happen please. Currently 13 weeks with twins, and things haven't been going well.

oneopinionatedmother Sun 26-Jul-09 22:50:31

No-suprise??

it';s hard. my god, if you were happy now, wouldn't it be amazing?? I'd want the same drugs as you

i think they are likely to
1) prescribe anti ds
20 REFER for counselling

but 2 will take longer.

probably the best counselling you can get is to talk to another woman (pref with twins) who has been there...anyone out there?

dizzymare Sun 26-Jul-09 23:14:10

I've talked about this loads on here, infact I'm beginning to feel like a broken recordhmm As I've already said before, I've popped in on the multiples thread but feel really out of place with their obvious happiness, to the point of feeling ashamed about this. It's not something I can control though, it's completely all consuming me. I'm worried about the anti ds, what will that do to the babies, plus that's going to take a while to sort me out, if they even do. And if they don't, what then? More talking??

I really need to talk with mums going through this, but will that help, I don't know.

dizzymare Sun 26-Jul-09 23:59:27

Can no one help me?

blondieminx Mon 27-Jul-09 00:57:47

Dizzy, definately worth chatting things through with your GP so that if it is depression you can get treatment sooner rather than later.

FWIW, When I found out I was pg, as twins run on both sides of DH's family I popped onto the multiples section of the board too - it would be fair to say that not everyone on that section of the board is delighted with their offspring all the time wink.

Have you seen the twins and multiple births association website here , they might be able to give you some support?

Good luck, and I hope everything works out for you! smile

mum27 Mon 27-Jul-09 06:04:05

Hi Dizzy, I'm not pregnant with twins, just a single but can totally relate to how u feel. I'm ecstatic about the baby but suffered from depression before the pregnancy and it just doesn't go away because ur pregnant. I stopped taking my ad tablets when i became pregnant and have thought about getting some that won't hurt the baby. I have found that getting a lot of rest helps a lot. You're pregnant with twins is a huge strain and u need extra rest, I'm on baby number 8 so need it as well. Finding the time for it has proved to be my undoing and sometimes i just cry with frustration and tiredness. Don't feel bad not everyone is a little ray of sunshine when they're pregnant it's only in the movies :-). Talking to someone who understands is a huge relief tho then u don't feel like the broken record.

dizzymare Mon 27-Jul-09 09:54:57

Thank you blondieminx and mum27

FAQtothefuture Mon 27-Jul-09 10:00:34

you rung yet wink

dizzymare Mon 27-Jul-09 10:02:26

No blush

FAQtothefuture Mon 27-Jul-09 10:03:21

I'll be harassing checking with you through the day (in between entertaining visitors) wink grin

IdrisTheDragon Mon 27-Jul-09 10:04:37

Hello dizzy.

I can empathise a bit with you - when I got pregnant with DD it wasn't planned to happen when it did. I have general depression and becoming pregnant triggered a major depression for me. A couple of days before her 12 week scan I cracked and DH insisted I went to the GP. I made a list of how I was feeling, including my plans for how to kill myself and he referred me to the psychiatrist very quickly (I think I had an appt 2 days later).

I spoke to the psych for ages (about an hour and a half I think) and was prescribed sertraline. I think I saw him a few more times during my pregnancy but can't quite remember (was 4 years ago now).

The ADs helped me to pull myself out of the dark pit and my feelings towards the pregnancy gradually changed too. DD will be 4 in September and am very glad she is here smile. Took a while for me to come to terms with it though.

dizzymare Mon 27-Jul-09 10:15:52

Thanks Idris, you sound pretty much how I am now, except I wasn't depressed before this happened.

FAQ I'm still searching for my ballswink

FAQtothefuture Mon 27-Jul-09 10:19:38

here you got - lots here wink

dizzymare Mon 27-Jul-09 10:39:51

blush so there are, only mine doesn't seem to be amongst them.

ready2pop Mon 27-Jul-09 11:14:40

Hi Dizzymare,

I'm 34 weeks now (only one though) and felt absolutely miserable from about 14 weeks until very recently (at times I really didn't think I'd be able to carry on).

I went to see my GP who confirmed I have antenatal depression but wasn't much help beyond that. To be honest I think the problem was that I suffered in silence too long so that by the time I saw the Dr he basically felt that as the pregnancy was almost over there was no point prescribing ADs and any referral for counselling probably wouldn't have come until after the birth.

Thank God, I have been feeling much better recently and I think just admitting that there was a problem helped enormously. Also I felt much better once the GP had confirmed it was depression - it took away some of the guilt I was feeling about feeling down when everyone expected me to be over the moon.

Anyway, I suppose my advice is to go and see your GP a.s.a.p. so they have the time to help you and don't suffer in silence.

I hope you feel better soon.

dizzymare Mon 27-Jul-09 11:19:06

I don't seem to be doing much suffering in silence on here blush

Ready2pop, can I ask what you think caused the depression, I'm wondering if this si something that's been coming for a while now and I just haven't noticed it? Or was it your pregnancy and feeling over welmed by it? Sorry if I'm not explaining properly, I don't knwo how to put it into words withot sounding completely stupidhmm

IdrisTheDragon Mon 27-Jul-09 11:38:48

I think that with some people depression is always "there" and different things can trigger it.
With some people there is no history of depression and pregnancy can cause it to start with no other reason behind it.

ready2pop Mon 27-Jul-09 11:39:39

I had a run of bad luck before and at the beginning of my pregnancy and think that the pregnancy hormones meant that whereas I would normally have just got on with things everything suddenly seemed unmanageable.

I had a mc just before this pregnancy and then conceived again straight away and whilst at the time I thought I was fine I don't think I'd really come to terms with the mc.

Then, when I was about 12 weeks pregnant, my DS was rushed into hospital with suspected meningitis. Thankfully it wasn't but he was very ill for a couple of weeks and the stress of this just brought things to a head for me.

All this left me so frazzled and with such overwhelming anxiety that I just felt that I couldn't cope with things anymore and that I would never be able to manage another baby too (my DS will only be 17 months when this one arrives).

Nothing has really changed now except that I am feeling more positive generally (still have some awful days though) - so I think the hormones must play a large part as I can't otherwise see why I'd suddenly be feeling better.

Not sure that I've really answered your question?

dizzymare Mon 27-Jul-09 11:57:16

Well you've made me think actually. Prior to finding out about this pregnancy, we have had 2 seperate bereavements, plus the split from my H. The split I've handled in a ^thank god^ kind of way, the bereavements knocked me for six, but I think I was managing, then finding out about being pregnant knocked me sideways. Finding out about having twins has floored me, so maybe, just maybe this has been a gradual thing that I've not noticed? The biggest thing for me at the moment is hating my body changing, and not being intune with it at all.

FAQtothefuture Mon 27-Jul-09 12:36:05

quite possibly right there dizzy about it being a gradual thing that you've not noticed until you're totally floored

(have you rung yet wink)

Deemented Mon 27-Jul-09 12:44:16

LOL @ FAQ.

I too wanna know if she's rung yet... grin

dizzymare Mon 27-Jul-09 12:57:50

No she hasn't blush I think I need someone to shout at mehmm

Ds badly needs a sleep, and so do I!

Deemented Mon 27-Jul-09 13:02:54

GO AND RING, DIZZY.

Just think of the nice relaxing sleep you can have after you've spoken to someone, eh?

FAQtothefuture Mon 27-Jul-09 13:21:30

agree with Deemented - it may not feel like it right now as it's a hard step to take to start seeking help when you need it. BUT once you've taken that step it's quite often a huge step forward, again it might not feel like a huge step at the time but just knowing there's going to be someone else to help you through it can have an amazing effect

dizzymare Mon 27-Jul-09 18:40:52

My parents have taken ds for the night, my costochondritis is playing me up, and the lifting isn't helping. So at least I can rest and not feel guilty, and I promise I'll call tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now