Talk

Advanced search

Braxton Hicks - What do they feel like?

(12 Posts)
Kiwifruit Sun 22-May-05 19:35:31

This is a bit of a silly question, but what do Braxton Hicks contractions feel like? Would I definitely recognise one? Just wondering, as some of the others on the Sept ante natal thread have been having them, and don't think I am - but then I started wondering if I was having them, and just not realising what they are...

Nat777 Sun 22-May-05 22:52:22

Would be very interested in replies to this also as I am 28 weeks and apparently this is about the time that they may start.

Gobbledigook Sun 22-May-05 23:01:55

Some people don't have them at all - friends of mine haven't. I had them all the time with all 3 ds's. I think they can go unnoticed but mine were very obvious.

They were most often in the evening when sat down and basically the bump goes very, very hard and feels tight and slightly painful (although some of mine took my breath away!). They are like mild contractions but to me it was like rather than building up to a peak and coming down slowly they came on quite quick and went quick. Don't know if that makes sense!

lozzawoo Mon 23-May-05 00:58:02

Hi!

My little boy is two now and I always remember mine coming on at work and they can be painful but you are glad when they subside. I thought something was wrong but the nurse told me to stop working and rest so thats what I did and he was two weeks late so I had more time off lol... hope all is well and good luck

whitie Mon 23-May-05 12:35:11

I was wondering about this as well, I'm 27 weeks and last night I experienced exactly what you described gobbledigook! I was worried at the time and braxton hicks didn't cross my mind as I didn't realise they would start so early. Although it hurt enough for me to stop and concentrate on my breathing, it only lasted about 30 secs.

Katts Mon 23-May-05 13:57:35

I think I've had them but not totally sure. Had a few instances where my stomach just went hard for 30 seconds or so and then went back to normal. Didn't hurt at all though. Just a bit weird. I'm 22 weeks and also didn't realise they could start so early.

jampots Mon 23-May-05 14:00:36

mine started at about 22/3 weeks with ds (had threatened miscarriage at 21 weeks). They weren't so much painful as uncomfortable and i personally cant see how anyone could miss them. I found mine used to occur after standing up and going to the loo!

jampots Mon 23-May-05 14:01:04

in fact mine felt like I'd just put on about 2 stone for a short while

WigWamBam Mon 23-May-05 14:01:06

I didn't have them at all - or at least, I didn't feel them. Apparently it's pretty common not to have them with a first pregnancy.

Gobbledigook Mon 23-May-05 14:02:22

Mine started early with all 3 pg - probably around 23-24 weeks. All pg were normal, no problems at all, normal, straightforward deliveries - so if you are having them, dont' worry!

merryberry Mon 23-May-05 14:20:39

I most often get them when I'm weary...like my uterus is cramping for extra oxygen. I find my bump goes hard and if I'm walking I want to stop as bump feels so weirdly in the way. No pain tho'. xx

fastasleep Mon 23-May-05 14:49:29

I'm 18 weeks and although I'm only feeling movement every now and again last night after BDing my whole bump went hard as a rock and I was gasping! It's happened after going to the toilet as well.... I didn't have any noticable BH's last time! I just hope they don't get really uncomfy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now