Talk

Advanced search

Insomnia in very early pregnancy.....

(21 Posts)
hoops997 Sat 25-Jul-09 05:40:06

So it's 5.38 in the morning and I have been awake for just over an hour.........

Anyone else had this, this early in PG, I'm 4 weeks and 1 day, normally I sleep right through and have trouble getting up for work in the mornings......

Is this going to last or what...help please

McSnail Sat 25-Jul-09 08:34:41

Hello. I hate to tell you this but it ^never goes away^.

I'm 38 weeks and STILL haven't had a proper night's sleep - compounded by the size of my bump and the fact that even turning over in bed requires me to psych myself up...

My suggestion - don't fight the insomnia. Get yourself a couple of DVD box sets (my choice was Mad Men - highly recommended) and just watch an episode or two when you're about to climb the walls/claw your own eyeballs out from lack of sleep.

And when people say to you, 'Oh just you WAIT til the baby's born if you think you can't sleep now' tell them to cock off. I personally am looking forward to a tangible reason for my sleep deprivation, even a screaming newborn.

McSnail Sat 25-Jul-09 08:35:05

So, for some reason my itallics didn't work.

Longtalljosie Sat 25-Jul-09 08:53:17

Hi Hoops - I'm 37 weeks and was up between 2 and 3 watching the West Wing - sorry I missed you!

My insomnia hasn't been quite as awful as McSnail's - I had a bout of it right after the positive pregnancy test - so about where you are - then it went away until about 18-20 weeks (can't remember exactly, but for just over a week) then came back with a vengeance from week 30 - and from then it's been pretty much constant.

At your stage, I think it's definitely hormonal. At the later stage - I've noticed that I wake up hungry so I think it's the baby making an early bid for night feeds!

LeninGrad Sat 25-Jul-09 09:06:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stubbyfingers Sat 25-Jul-09 09:08:44

could it also be the emotional aspect of pregnancy affecting your brain's ability to switch off? there's so much to think about when you've just found out you're preggers; excitement/dread/anxiety/names!

McSnail's advice to not fight it is good. Even if you're just lying there awake, your body is still resting.

hoops997 Sat 25-Jul-09 10:17:06

thanks guys......stubby you are right about it affecting my brain, I had a MMC in May so am terrified that it will happen again......hope not but fingers are frimly crossed......

So this is with me for the duration then....great!!!

Will pop out and get myself lots of books, and thank god for 24 hour supermarkets, at least I might be able to get some shopping done eh?!

pattymc Sun 26-Jul-09 20:54:08

Hi I got insomnia at the beginning of both pregnancies but it went away and at 20 weeks I am sleeping fine now. I;m sure some people suffer and some don't but you shouldn't just assume you are going to suffer throughout because this in itself might keep you awake - does that make sense? - what I'm saying is don't worry you might be fine!

Neeko Sun 26-Jul-09 21:23:33

Hi Hoops
I am also just pg again (4+5) after a MMC in March and I'm also suffering insomnia. I didn't have it last time or with my DD and I'm assumming it's the worry that's setting me off. the slightest noise in the middle of the night wakens me and it takes ages to fall back asleep. Just praying it will pass as the pregnancy progresses. Good luck.

GYo Sun 26-Jul-09 21:49:55

Quite normal and very annoying. Mine got better after about 6wks then I was very tired. It then got worse again once the heartburn kicked in and towards the end.

Congratulations on your pregnancy grin I was about as pregnant as you this time last year- are you due in March?

2cats2many Sun 26-Jul-09 21:51:12

I've had it with both mine. I tried everything, but nothing really worked. It just went away on its own eventually. v.v. annoying tho'.

hoops997 Mon 27-Jul-09 00:30:56

GYo am due in April so in it for the long haul....grin....

So here I am on here and it's nearly half past midnight, DP has told to get out of bloody bed cos my fidgeting is doing his head in!!!

I might start having naps in the day to see if that helps with the tiredness....did this help anyone else? Also been very sick today and threw my lovely sausage and mushroom sarnie up.....I'm taking these as good signs!!!

Hope everything goes ok for you neeko I remember you from the miscarriage threads.....lets hope that these beans are extra sticky

Neeko Mon 27-Jul-09 09:08:37

Here's hoping you're right about sticky beans. Your sickness is a good sign. MC does crazy things to your head - I'm envy of your MS! grin

GYo Mon 27-Jul-09 12:46:52

Good luck Hoops and the rest of you. Such an exciting but worrying time.

Sickness, tiredness and insomnia are all good signs.

Enjoy your pregnancies

hoops997 Tue 28-Jul-09 17:46:08

aaaarrrgggh, I'm so bloody tired AND chocolate makes me sick.......bloody hell!!!

GYo Tue 28-Jul-09 18:19:09

i found fruit pastilles great for easing the nausea

notjustapuppymum Tue 28-Jul-09 21:04:31

Starbursts and fizzy cola bottles did it for me!

emmbradders Tue 14-May-13 18:26:05

Can't cope with the insomnia, everyone else in the house is sleeping soundly and I'm climbing the walls.
Can't stop crying because I'm sooo tired .
Can't function in the day because I have not slept in two weeks properly.
Staying at mums with the two children now because insomnia is getting me so down. sad
I can't get no sleep........I'm only 10 weeks

Soopermum1 Tue 14-May-13 20:18:25

I had this with last pregnancy and have it with this one (11 weeks currently) it didn't go away so I'm not expecting to get a full night's sleep for the next 1.5 yearssad sad

it's the grumbly bladder that does it for me. I get up at least once with my bladder screaming then it's hit or miss if I can quickly get back to sleep or not.

it was horrendous a weeks ago when I had the usual early pregnancy tiredness and was really busy at work but am feeling brighter now and seem to have got used to less sleep.

Queazy Tue 14-May-13 20:23:10

Hi, I had awful insomnia from week 4 until week 21ish, and still waking up at 5am now (week 25). I'm just grateful to get more than 3 hours sleep now, so 5am is bearable! Lots of people improve after a few weeks though, with insomnia returning in 3rd trimester so hopefully this will be more the case for you x

RJM17 Tue 14-May-13 22:40:42

Hey I am now 13 weeks and haven't had a proper nights sleep yet!! Don't know what causes it but I wake up and I'm wide awake for at least am hour at least twice a night!! Started going to bed early so I at least get some sleep x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now