Talk

Advanced search

Booking appointment - told to try not put much weight on

(5 Posts)
nickyb86 Fri 24-Jul-09 19:05:28

im 10 weeks, and i saw my midwife today, and cos ive got a bmi of 35 she told me to try and not put weight on! im trying to eat healthy but its so hard when you can keep anything down! im big but not massive only a size 16/18 and now im really upset!

mogend77 Fri 24-Jul-09 20:01:50

She told you not to put any on? Or to try not to put too much on? The latter would probably be quite sensible but to tell you not to put any on is ridiculous! Far too much pressure and frankly probably impossible. I would try to eat healthily and listen to your body, but you can't possibly be expected to put no weight on during pregnancy.

morocco Fri 24-Jul-09 20:10:42

did she mean go on a diet? did she offer you any help with that? seem to remember reading that it is ok to diet in pregnancy so long as it's within safe limits but it doesn't sound great to not offer any guidance. now mw have to advise on how being overweight affects pregnancy/birth it would be great to see that backed up with support groups/dietician advice etc

greensnail Fri 24-Jul-09 20:17:20

Hi, my BMI was 36 when I got pregnant with DD (I was aprox size 16 too). I ate exactly what I fancied while I was pregnant (which was more than I usually ate) and ended up putting on only 10lbs during the pregnancy. The day I came home with DD I weighed 1lb less than before I was pregnant.

So I would say don't worry about it too much - eat to your hunger and your body will sort itself out.

Olissa Fri 24-Jul-09 20:28:09

Hi Nicky, I'm on my third pregnancy and my BMI was 34 for the first, 32 for the second, and 36 for this one!
Without me doing a thing about it (so I ate reasonably healthily, but like greensnail I definitely ate more than I did before getting pregnant) I put on 12lbs with the first pregnancy and 16 with the second. Someone told me that a good rule of thumb is you put on about a stone if you are overweight to start with, two if you are 'normal' weight and three if you are under.
I know it's difficult, but try not to worry about it. Chances are, without much extra effort on your part, it'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now