Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

baby kicking on both sides of my abdomen - reassure me it's normal!

(5 Posts)
arolf Fri 24-Jul-09 16:20:25

I'm 31+5 weeks pg now, and baby (singular!) is starting to kick on both sides of me at once - if I'm lying on my side, it's like he's trying to stand up and poke upwards with his hands at the same time, so I end up with kicks on both sides, and often a large lump forming on whichever side is uppermost. If it wasn't for the fact that it's never happened to anyone before, I'd be worried he's going to emerge, Alien style, through my side, just one baby hand (or foot) punching the air in victory.

Anyway, was mentioning it to some colleagues, as baby was doing his exercises earlier, and they ALL said 'ooh, bet it's twins'.

It's not, is it? It can't be. I've had 5 scans, all showing 1 baby, and when looking for a heartbeat, the midwives have only ever found 1 (unless they find mine by mistake, but it's much slower than a baby's would be).

Am just panicking, as usual, but would love someone to tell me this happened to them too!

jabberwocky Fri 24-Jul-09 16:24:24

perhaps a transverse lie?

arolf Fri 24-Jul-09 16:28:22

possibly, he's been consistently breech until now though. Or so I'm told - have no idea how to tell by myself!

mogend77 Fri 24-Jul-09 19:47:47

Transverse lie is my guess too.

Ladyem Fri 24-Jul-09 20:29:04

My baby is lying head down, but I get kicks both sides of my tummy and can feel knees etc (I'm 34 weeks, so its getting cramped in there!) and I assumed it was back to back, but the midwife says not when she checked me, just how its legs are arranged, so you could be the same as me!

Babies get themselves into all sorts of positions, so I wouldn't worry too much!! It's good that it is moving so much!

I think they would have picked up twins by now if you were having them, so I wouldn't worry about that!!

Good luck!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now