Talk

Advanced search

People who never knew they were pregnant...

(15 Posts)
Longtalljosie Thu 23-Jul-09 10:35:23

I have only one thing to say - how?

You know - those stories about people who went to the loo and then realised their stomach cramps were labour, and then suddenly have babies.

Last night, I was beaten up by my 37-week-gestation baby from the inside. Quite comprehensively. Additionally, I look as if I have swallowed a beach ball.

I can get people might have periods all the way through - or have really erratic ones

I can get that people might not get morning sickness envy

I can get they might not notice being ridiculously tired.

But how do they not notice the baby moving, and occasionally sticking bum / feet / shoulders out? Kicking you in the ribs / cervix / bladder?

I just cannot understand it at all.

mustrunmore Thu 23-Jul-09 10:38:19

I dont know.

But a friend of my Mum went on hol abroad and had cramps... hospital.... baby suprise. I was a bit hmm even as a child of 8 or 9, but she reckons it cos she was so large anyway. She had a hard time bringing baby back through customs grin

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Thu 23-Jul-09 10:46:51

A girl I know had her son after having found out only 2 weeks before!! She was incredibly active (still is) with VERY tight stomach muscles. Not sure if that's why she didn't have a big bump hmm but she swears she had no idea.
I find it very hard to believe but this is someone I know - why would she lie??
I had horrendous heartburn from about 5 months, had the beating up from the inside as you did longtalljosie, enormous breasts that leaked from a very early stage... I could go on but you catch my drift.

Longtalljosie Thu 23-Jul-09 11:22:52

Ah you'd never know from my boobs particularly - I was promised pregnancy boobs but they never materialised...

PrefetParfait Thu 23-Jul-09 11:25:44

If baby is back to back it is possible to not feel significant movement.

JRocks Thu 23-Jul-09 11:30:32

I've never been able to understand this either. Yes, not knwoing until very late on (a couple of my friends have been through this) but to not know at all? Maybe I'm just envious as I too am being beaten balck and blue and am 30 weeks. And it's been going on for the last couple of months! I do love it, mostly, but sometimes it's bloody eye watering grin

SheWillBeLoved Thu 23-Jul-09 11:30:57

This happened to my niece, found out at almost 8 months when she went to her doctors for a Thyroid test due to her putting so much weight on shock Took one look at her, asked why she hadn't put weight on anywhere but her stomach, tested her, and yep - pregnant! When she's asked now if she genuinely didn't know or was just too scared to say anything (was only 17), she swears that she didn't know, was still having periods, but looking back, what she thought was wind was obviously movements!

imaginewittynamehere Thu 23-Jul-09 13:57:29

I have 2 dd's

With dd1 I had an anterior placenta & she was quite an inactive baby - whilst I knew I was pregnant & did feel some movement it was very feint throughout. She was certainly back-to-back for labour & in late pregnancy so this may also have contributed

DD2 was a completely different story & kicked me until I was figuratively black & blue!

So yes I can see how you could not know that the movements you were feeling were baby tbh

PracticalCat Thu 23-Jul-09 15:41:54

I know of a woman who got to 34 weeks thinking she had worms...

JRocks Thu 23-Jul-09 17:17:08

boak!

maybebaby23 Thu 23-Jul-09 20:30:00

My MIL didn't know she was pregnant with DF! She was training to join the police, sprinting around the park twice daily right up until the day she started having "stomach cramps"! She was also at the gym most days! Can you imagine doing that at 9 months pregnant! Her parents still say she had a flat(ish) stomach and never complained of tiredness or anything! DF was 6lb something when he was born...I do believe she really didn't know, because she has had a problem with alcohol ever since....prob down to being 19 and suddenly a mum, career out the window etc.

feedthegoat Thu 23-Jul-09 20:35:41

There was someone who worked in the same office as me who this happened too. She'd worked overtime the night before so we were somewhat shocked to be told that she had given birth in the night.

I obviously can't comment on what she felt but I don't ever remember her looking pregnant in anyway.

allaboutme Thu 23-Jul-09 20:38:49

happened to my sil.
i was with her the DAY BEFORE she gave birth. she had a flat stomach. i was 6 months pg and I looked enormous next to her

DjangoTheDjinn Thu 23-Jul-09 20:41:12

Girl I was at uni with went home for easter break and gave birth. She didn't look pg at all, baby back to back, anterior placenta, periods continued. Was playing tennis quite seriously up until the day before. Had IBS so thought stomach cramps were that and presumbably any earlier movements.

mrswee Fri 24-Jul-09 09:19:05

It happened to a girl at my school in the year above.
Her year went away on a skiing trip all the way to France in a coach from Scotland. While in France she was rushed to hospital with suspected appendicitis, gave birth to a little boy... they had to call her mum in the middle of the night and break the news!
They also had a bit of a time getting the baby back through customs and all the teachers had to chip in for clothes ect for it!
She was only 15, poor girl, what an experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now