Talk

Advanced search

A question for those who are not against a glass of wine in pregnancy...

(48 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 22-Jul-09 21:18:46

If you beleive one or two glasses of wine from time to time is ok in pregnancy, which I do (if I could drink it as often as a blue moon with this indigestion and sickness!), what do you think of having one manhattan?

I have had no alcohol since my birthday on 12th July, when I had one small glass of red.

I really would quite fancy a nice long manhattan. Pre-pregnancy I would relax with a nice glass of wine in this situation.

(for those who do not know, it is a shot of bourbon, a shot of vermouth and a splash of angustura bitters, but could even leave the bitters out)

WDYT?

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Wed 22-Jul-09 21:20:34

Probably but would follow up with loads of water.

Enjoy!

cazzybabs Wed 22-Jul-09 21:20:52

i am not pregnant but I was prone to a small g and t when I was and have given birth to 3 normal (well I think they are) girls- could you have a small one??? with say half a shot each?

fishie Wed 22-Jul-09 21:21:16

i would, but proper measures not home half pints.

stubbyfingers Wed 22-Jul-09 21:22:23

I certainly would blush

Portofino Wed 22-Jul-09 21:22:42

I probably would if I really fancied it. Mind you I had oysters, chardonnay and all sorts when pg.

TigerFeet Wed 22-Jul-09 21:22:59

What's in a Manhattan? [thick]

I have partaken of a couple of glasses of wine, I generally top it up with lemonade to spin it out a bit.

Can you make a weak one?

shonaspurtle Wed 22-Jul-09 21:23:55

It doesn't really matter what the alcohol is. It's the quantity that counts (units wise). Make sure the shots are very small as the margin for error on a home poured measure of spirits is very large - most people pour at least triples if they don't have an measuring cup.

The bitters will be negligible for alcohol if it's just a dash.

izzybiz Wed 22-Jul-09 21:24:03

How pregnant are you? After 3 months in, I would, I used to have a couple of white wine spritzers (very long with lots of ice!) if we went out when I was pregnant.

Don't see the harm in the one, enjoy it!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 22-Jul-09 21:24:24

Mycat - i have been good and drunk lots of water today, and just finished a glass actually, and will have more before bed, a good idea.

cazzybabs - that would probably be sensible as one full shot of each is likely to get me pissed these days!

neenztwinz Wed 22-Jul-09 21:24:29

So it's two units? Like a pint of beer? Go for it. Enjoy.

mrsjammi Wed 22-Jul-09 21:27:06

Message withdrawn

mrsjammi Wed 22-Jul-09 21:28:44

Message withdrawn

harpsichordcarrier Wed 22-Jul-09 21:28:55

full stomach
go for it
one to two units, once or twice a week
is fine

mrsjammi Wed 22-Jul-09 21:29:47

Message withdrawn

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 22-Jul-09 21:30:59

tigerfeet - its a cocktail with one shot of bourbon whisky to one shot (dependant on taste) of sweet vermouth, with a splash of bitters, lots of ice. You can make it heavier on the vermouth rather than the bourbon, but that is just yuck imo. Some people like it like that. I like it purist!

fishie and shonaspurtle - The measures imo have to be properly measured anyway, if you get the proportions of a manhattan wrong, it tastes yuck. This is DH and my favourite tipple (other than a nice wine), and he has the mixing of it down to an art form, and he only ever measures in proper shots using a measured shot glass.

<goes off to tell Dh excitedly that I would like one!>

izzybiz I am 23 weeks and have so far partaken in two glasses of wine since becoming pg one of which gave me severe heartburn!!!

mrsjammi Wed 22-Jul-09 21:30:59

Message withdrawn

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 22-Jul-09 21:34:30

Yup, full stomach, full of pasta!

DH has just passed me a tumbler with 3/4 measure Manhattan in it, lots of ice and 2 splashes of bitters - I took one sip.

<sighs>

It is delicious.

<sips>

TigerFeet Wed 22-Jul-09 21:36:07

I want to open a bottle of wine now.

DH is on the cider, but has just opened the last can.

Portofino Wed 22-Jul-09 21:36:33

My auntie actually brought me bottles of guinness when i was in the hospital shortly before dd was born! Supposedly good for me! Yack! They let me out at 39 weeks, we went straight to the pub for a large glass of white wine, followed by King prawn balls from the chinese next door. I was in heaven after two weeks of cold mince and cold tea. You can worry too much.....

shonaspurtle Wed 22-Jul-09 21:38:56

Slainte!

thehairybabysmum Wed 22-Jul-09 21:39:21

I had a margharita, just one with a mexican meal. It was lovely!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

mrsjammi Wed 22-Jul-09 21:39:38

Message withdrawn

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 22-Jul-09 21:41:43

shona slainte to you too grin

<raises glass>

CurryMaid Wed 22-Jul-09 21:45:56

WOwsers a whole bottle of wine in one day!

I would have barfed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now