Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

X-Ray advice please!

(14 Posts)
Ceolas Mon 20-Jul-09 23:21:42

My DD has injured her leg earlier this evening and we're debating taking her to A&E.

I'm 36 weeks and wondering if I should let DH go instead if they'll want to x-ray?

She would need me to stay with her during the x-ray as I expect she'd be unco-operative to say the least!

Any experiences/advice?

whomovedmychocolate Mon 20-Jul-09 23:27:24

If she needs an xray they give you a special tunic thing to cover the baby - it's fine.

Ceolas Mon 20-Jul-09 23:32:31

Ah good. I still don't know whether she needs to go or not.

She's 23 months and it seems her (6 year old) brother jumped on her leg on the trampoline blush blush blush.

A little swelling but no bruising, doesn't look distorted but she's refusing to stand on it or move the leg.

DH is lying beside her in bed just now, but she's wakened 3 times in as many hours...

whomovedmychocolate Mon 20-Jul-09 23:49:00

It's probably just bruised then - if you break your leg it will swell up within 10 minutes - quite a lot actually. Oh and you will be rolling round on the floor yelling quite a bit as well.

Refusing to stand on it means it hurts. Wait till the morning. Give her Calpol/Neurofen, elevate it as much as possible and keep her quiet and see what happens. It's probably bruised.

Ceolas Tue 21-Jul-09 00:03:58

Thanks. Have forced 5ml of Calpol into her about 10pm. I suspected the swelling would be more dramatic if broken but stupidly googled...

Anyway she's sleeping now so we'll hang fire and see what tomorrow brings.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 21-Jul-09 09:33:52

How is she this morning - feeling well enough to wallop her brother with a favourite toy? wink

Ceolas Tue 21-Jul-09 13:50:40

Well, just back from A&E. She was unsettled through the night but not hysterical. Seemed happy enough this morning except not willing to bear weight at all.

Went to GP who said better x-ray to be sure. Turns out she has a fractured tibia. Up to her thigh in pink plaster now!

I was shocked tbh because the swelling around the knee had gone down. No bruising at all and looked completely normal shock

whomovedmychocolate Tue 21-Jul-09 14:12:37

Blimey! Good job you saw the GP then - they are stoic little buggers aren't they! At least she got a pretty plaster grin

I assume her brother is in the doghouse?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 21-Jul-09 14:14:31

I was coming to say no swelling doesn't mean nothing wrong so good you have been to A&E.

It is so easy to take advise on here but unless specified we are not doctors so it is best to get things checked.

Ceolas Tue 21-Jul-09 14:26:06

Brother has been rather sheepish about the whole thing. We don't normally allow them on together but sometimes they chance it. Strict reinforcement of the rules coming up!

The nurse at A&E said they are inundated with trampoline injuries, especially during school holidays. I felt so guilty as we have the safety net and all and are generally vigilant on the one-at-a-time rule. Anyway, that apart she said she'd probably still get one if her children were younger as kids manage to injure themsleves somehow, whether it be falling out of a tree or jumping on their siblings on a trampoline...

Ceolas Tue 21-Jul-09 14:30:14

Oh, and re the x-ray, I wasn't allowed in. Despite the fact I phoned the A&E after leaving the GP to check what the procedure was. The staff nurse said I'd be able to be with her, but the radiagrapher said no. I was able to wait until the last minute but had to leave the room while another nurse pinned her to the bed for the x-ray. If I'd known that I'd have sent DH. The control-freaky part of me wanted to take her, though.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 21-Jul-09 14:37:53

Don't listen to the nurses, they know nothing about radiation protection. It's the responsibility of the radiographer to judge what deserves a x-ray and who should be in the room as it's their job on the line.

I hope your dd is on the ment very soon. Bones don't take very long to heal at this age. smile

Ceolas Tue 21-Jul-09 14:40:54

Thanks. I hope she's back on her feet soon as I had stoically decided against a double buggy!

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 21-Jul-09 14:44:47

If it's a hairline fracture then the average is 2 weeks, it depends on how much of the bone the fracture has gone through though. She should be out of plaster in time for the new baby but everyone's different so don't hold me to that. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now