Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

chosen by a MNer written by a MNer - flu vaccine in pregnancy

(13 Posts)
hereidrawtheline Mon 20-Jul-09 01:58:10

From my thread here I wrote 3000 words on the topic of flick's choice and posted it on my blog just now. The subject is a very pertinent one - the safety or otherwise of a pregnant woman taking a flu vaccine. Hope it is a positive and not a negative for you pregnant ladies. And best wishes.

Link straight to the blog post here

LeninGrad Mon 20-Jul-09 05:11:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hereidrawtheline Mon 20-Jul-09 08:08:06

bloody hell there is a swine flu topic? I've been under a rock writing. will do later.

LeninGrad Mon 20-Jul-09 08:16:08

mrswee Mon 20-Jul-09 09:26:43

I have had the pneumococcal vaccine, I got it last year along with the seasonal flu vaccine.

I was told they were offering them together for people who suffer from asthma.
I have been wondering if this gives me a better chance of protection from complications of swine flu? I guess so when it comes down to avoiding pneumonia.
I was told it was a one off jag and didn't have to be renewed every year, I'm glad I took it now.

pofacedandproud Mon 20-Jul-09 09:34:12

can someone just explain why having the pneumococcal vaccine would protect against pneumonia if one got flu? Flu is a virus and pneumococcal is a bacteria, may well be a good reason just can't get my head around it.

mrswee Mon 20-Jul-09 09:43:03

hereidrawtheline - very interesting stuff, thanks for that!

mrswee Mon 20-Jul-09 09:46:03

pofacedandproud- I don't know if it does protect against it, all I was told when offered the vaccine was that it would prevent me contracting pneumonia in the future.
I would really like to know the answer to this if anyone has the medical knowledge?

pofacedandproud Mon 20-Jul-09 09:48:10

is it that when you have flu you are more susceptible to meningitis causing bacteria? Hope a medical scientist comes along!

LeninGrad Mon 20-Jul-09 10:06:08

LeninGrad Mon 20-Jul-09 10:07:41

pofacedandproud Mon 20-Jul-09 10:14:15

yes that makes sense. thanks lenin.

hereidrawtheline Mon 20-Jul-09 11:17:52

LeninGrad it is now here in the swine flu topic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now