Talk

Advanced search

Bishop's score - any advice?

(16 Posts)
Tinker Fri 20-May-05 16:22:24

I'm now either 10 or 5 days overdue depending upon which date is used. Had a sweep this morning and had a Bishop's Score of 5. Does this mean labour not imminent? I've been booked in for induction on Monday eve so am I likely to make this appointment ie not go into labour before then?

Thank you

Louise1980 Fri 20-May-05 16:23:51

I really dont know about Bishop Score but most people I know when they have been booked in for induction they go themselves anyway. Good luck.

Tinker Fri 20-May-05 17:36:14

Thanks Louise, here's hoping.

tortoiseshell Fri 20-May-05 17:42:38

Do you want to be induced Tinker? If not, then I would hold out not to be. I was induced with ds (very long story, but went in 10am, having had contractions since 6.30, student midwife did exam, said 'You're booked for induction, induction is what you get'), but the relevant thing is that I had a Bishop Score of 3, despite being in early labour. With dd I was quite determined to avoid induction, especially as was booked for home birth, saw consultant at 40wks+10, he was quite happy to go over 12 day limit, dd born 14 days late, at home.

They can't force you to be induced, and they can monitor you daily to check baby's well being. (If you want to be induced then ignore everything I've said so far!). I think the Bishop Score shows the likelihood of a successful induction - not sure what the maximum/minimum is though.

Hope all goes well.

Tinker Fri 20-May-05 17:48:52

Cheers tortoiseshell. No, don't really want to be induced and did feel I was being pushed into it. Trouble is the confusion over my dates. LMP one gave me 10/05 so Monday would
be 13 days over. Nuchal scan (private, not offered here on NHS) gave me 15/10. Because hospital (not sure if this is NHS policy) accept 5 days either way of LMP date, no need to change. Well, now that's become more significant . In fact, if 5 days either way = possible date, today could be my due date as well - so confusing.

Will think some more over weekend and ask to speak to the midwife I have seen the most who was much more relaxed about the whole thing.

The score is on a 1 to 10 scale - closer to 10 = more receptive to successfully being induced. So, assume, closer to labour anyway?

Oh, weary of whole thing, have started to forget why I am actually preganant now.

tortoiseshell Fri 20-May-05 18:25:30

Tinker - the 12 week scan is the most accurate thing to go by I think (I'm guessing this was the nuchal scan) - both my babies were 'small' on the 12 week scan, dd was nearly off the scale for her estimated age - she was over 10lb when born, so was clearly saying that she needed a little longer to cook. I'd have thought the consultant ought to take that into account. What really swung it for my consultant was I said 'I often have a long cycle', don't know if you can drop that into the conversation! When dd was born, both the midwives and the GP who came to do her check said that if anything she seemed a bit 'early' - (vernix etc. - thank God if she was, given that she was 10lb2!).

Just remember, they can't force you to do anything. Pupuce has given some fab advice about pgs going post dates - if I get time later I'll look some out for you.

Really hope things get moving though - have you tried the usual remedies? Walks and sex seem to be the most effective, if you feel like it!

Tinker Fri 20-May-05 22:35:57

Thanks again tortoiseshell. Unfortunately, they're already written in my notes that I'm a very regular 28 day girl.

Should have spoken to the consultant but hadn't realised I would have a chance today so not really prepared. Will ring my midwife this weekend adn discuss.

pupuce Sat 21-May-05 16:55:10

Bishop score of 5 is NOT a good score for induction so I hope that before Monday your score improves to at least 6 or 7...
You know you can delay an induction at best this baby is 13 days late on Monday !
However this isn't ytour first so I reckon you'll be fine - either go in labour before then OR have a reasonably fast induction.
Looking forward to reading the birth announcement !

Tinker Sun 22-May-05 20:38:03

Thanks pupuce. Has you rightly guessed, Eliza was born on Saturday morning after 2.5 hour labour Very relieved.

Tinker Sun 22-May-05 20:38:14

As not Has

pupuce Sun 22-May-05 20:54:28

Well done

pupuce Sun 22-May-05 21:09:31

Can we get the full story???

Jen84 Sun 22-May-05 21:09:35

i had a bishop score of three at 38 weeks pg(was getting induced 2 days later due to problems) told induction would be long process, but less than twelve hours after taht i went into labour naturally and six hours later ds2 was born!!! so fingers crossed it will happen soon for you

pupuce Sun 22-May-05 21:13:35

It has Jen - read Tinker's message !

tortoiseshell Sun 22-May-05 23:29:18

Congratulations Tinker! Glad to hear your news - will there be a birth announcement? Love the name Eliza btw!

Tinker Mon 23-May-05 15:34:11

Have written a birth announcement thread. Thanks again for all the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now