Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Constipation advice

(12 Posts)
niamh29 Sun 19-Jul-09 10:47:01

What's good for constipation, I'm 33 weeks!!

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Sun 19-Jul-09 14:03:23

My mum swears by kiwi fruits - try one at first (she has one before bed), or two if really bad. Prunes and other dried fruit are good too, and plenty of water.

maybebaby23 Sun 19-Jul-09 14:31:11

Prune juice!!!! A small glass every morning and evening does the trick for me! Tastes horrid but it works!

brettgirl2 Sun 19-Jul-09 14:43:55

I recommend curry

MustHaveaVeryShortMemory Sun 19-Jul-09 16:57:55

Lots of fruit juice and several dried apricots every day. Keeping yourself well hydrated.

brightonbleach Sun 19-Jul-09 19:12:14

prune juice, prune juice... prune juice! its the only ONLY thing that works trust me... i have half a glass, downed in one, about 3-4 times a week - its miraculous... grin

NumptyMum Sun 19-Jul-09 19:26:16

doc (or poss pharmasist) can prescribe lactulose - a simple sugar solution that is fine in pregnancy; prune juice is prob more 'nutritious' but the lactulose does the trick after a few days. Probably all solutions take a while to have an effect so don't down half a bottle to get things going again!

5inthebed Sun 19-Jul-09 19:28:16

Fibregel is fantastic stuff. It's a natural husk, and you drink it down. I have used it, prescribed, during all 3 of my pregnancies. You can buy it off the shelf as well.

Bump02 Sun 19-Jul-09 22:29:38

Lactulose can be bought over the counter now, it is effective.

Be careful with Fibregel as it can harden up in your digestive system and can make the complaint worse...I think it is a matter of trial and error..but the usual diet of fruit and plenty of fibre...and drink more water!!

Good luck...I feel your pain wink

MollFlounders Sun 19-Jul-09 22:33:11

Lactulose is brilliant. You can definitely buy it over the counter now. It was a godsend for me, both pre and post DD's arrival

PinkyRed Sun 19-Jul-09 22:37:54

Another vote for lactulose here, plus lots of lots of water so you're not dehydrated. I also ate bran flakes, with dried fruit on top, every morning. Yum bloody yum.

Gromit78 Mon 20-Jul-09 10:06:17

Liquorice is very good for constipation. I found dried fruit worked too well and would give me the runs, but liquorice gently soften me up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now